Nothing Adds Up

MEMORIES: A Guy I Once Knew
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He lost her.

 

Jennie’s petite figure descended into the crowd. It was a pity, as he had thought that continuing on with their small conversation previously would have been a great way to kill some time. It never quite came across to him whether or not the other would even want to stir up another round of chit chats, considering how he had just upped and out. Despite that, Suga was pretty much adamant that at that particular moment, time wouldn’t be better spent if not with her. Jennie was an interesting individual, very innocent in a strange sense. Suga was convinced however, that there was something hidden underneath and he was determined to figure it out.

 

It was an odd sense of desire for him to know more, know more about her…

 

When she was nowhere to be found, he heaved a disappointed sigh as he retraced his footsteps back wondering if Irene would still be where he had left her. Even if she was much easier to read than the other, he figured that her company would suffice.

Irene was a beauty in his eyes; like many. She gave off this cold vibe like she hated everything, but he saw the way she’d react to whatever he said--eating his words up at the very palm of his hands. Apparently it was rare for many people to see her laugh, but somehow, Suga had seen it often in their small limited moments shared. She's the type of girl that he would typically and usually go after… because she practically hated everyone except him.

 

He liked being special, even if he barely cared about such a title.

 

~

 

Jennie threw her backpack onto the floor before plopping herself like a fallen leaf onto her bed. She remained there doing nothing, but stared at her plain white ceiling. Her mind was a mess, or rather it was more or less confused. A soft jingle erupted from her pocket. She scourged through looking for her mobile phone, desperately wanting to stop the ringtone from killing the beautiful silence--silence that she really needed.

 

But she smiled in an instant when she spotted the name on her caller ID. Park Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung was Jennie’s childhood friend. They’ve known each other for a ridiculous amount of years and had practically grown up together. They knew each other’s odd habits and even watched the other go through the rough puberty years that no one wants to remember.

 

“Hey stranger~” Jennie sang cheerfully.

 

“I don’t like you anymore Jennie Kim,” The other huffed, “And you said that I can call whenever…” Chaeyoung playfully joked as it was somewhat rare for her phone calls to go unanswered for a long period of time. 5 rings was basically an insult.

 

“Sorry~ forgive me! Besides, it’s your fault anyways for moving so FARRR,” Jennie knew it was Chaeyoung’s soft spot.

 

Back then, for several weeks, Chaeyoung had the weight of the universe on her shoulders. She blamed herself for “destroying” their friendship as her family relocated to another city hours away. It took Jennie several hours on the phone to reassure her that nothing would change. It took forever for Chaeyoung to feel better, but every now and then Jennie would deliberately poke fun at this fact just to remind her gullible friend how preciously innocent she was.

 

“Pfft Jennie, you’ve become mean since I’ve left. I should’ve known better than to leave you~”

They laughed like a pair of idiots, their hyena-like laughter matching each other’s like it always would.

 

But it suddenly grew quiet on Jennie’s side as her bubbly laugh disappeared once her eyes drew itself on her backpack that laid dead on her hardwood floor. For a strange reason, it seemed pitiful and in some way, such a trivial thing made her sad, really sad. Her little mood swings were really screwing with her and it was a feeling that she desperately hated.

 

“Jen?” It was quick for her friend to realize that something was off as she instantly drew concerned.

 

“Mmm? Sorry I just-”

 

“Are you still stressed over school?”

 

Chaeyoung knew how much pressure was on the other with the valedictorian spot still wide open. It was a race between Jennie and Donghyuk, a boy in the other class whose grades almost perfectly matched hers, where Jennie had a slight lead due to her extra curricular activities. She personally didn’t give it much thought, but her parents wanted it desperately for their daughter.

 

“No, it’s not that…”

 

“It’s about some boy….” suddenly Taehyung’s voice spoke out.

 

“What the hell?!,” Jennie shouted hysterically as his unexpected inclusion caught her off guard.

 

She had absolutely no idea that all this time, Taehyung was listening in, connected by a three way call. The guy was waiting for the perfect time to make his presence known. He was getting impatient from their girly long length laughs, which he knew well could last forever, so he decided to invite himself into the conversation, make his grand entrance with a bang of a statement.

Whether or not it’s true, Taehyung wasn’t quite sure. There were endless things that he knew about Jennie, a list too long to mention in one’s lifetime. However, there was one thing that would always hold its complicated place, for he would know just a tiny bit, grasping it entirely was an endless struggle. What he did know is that Jennie had mastered the art of plastering a poker face when it comes to her love life. She wasn’t the type to express her feelings in that regard, at least not to him. He’s not even sure if he’d want to be exposed to such information because it would likely make things uncomfortable for one too many reasons that he’d never quite spill.

 

The three of them had been friends for a long time.

Taehyung eventually entered the picture after he seemingly always got stuck in the same classes as the two. In a sense, he took in a handful of responsibility for Jennie after Chaeyoung left the city. Jennie never asked for it, but she sure was glad to have him there and it wasn’t as if he was opposed to the position. Like it or not, he became the one answering to her S.O.S calls both small and big.

Being a friendly person, Jennie had plenty of friends, but eventually she gravitated to Taehyung more and more. The three of them were like the infamous three musketeers, but more so often they were like the three stooges—as many of their episodes together were just clumsy acts of nonsense.

 

“JEN, A GUYYYY?!?!” Chaeyoung was overly excited about the revelation and was desperate to know more.

 

“There’s nothing. I don’t understand what he’s talking about. He probably took a football to the head and has now lost it completely,” Jennie denied sternly, “Kim Taehyung, I’m going to run you over with a car!”

 

Chaeyoung knew very well that Jennie would never easily admit to liking someone so she looked to Taehyung to try and pry out more details.

 

“Taehyung-ah, how does he look?” She whispered.

 

“Like a human. He has a head, pair of eyes…believe it or not, but he walks too,” he went on sarcastically.

 

“You guys realize that I’m still here right?” Jennie felt oddly embarrassed by the direction the conversation was headed to.

 

“Well Tae is head over heels for a girl named Jisoo, who barely even looks at him!” Jennie blurted out at a last second attempt to focus the attention elsewhere. It was a cheap shot--she knew it, but it was the only way she thought of to get them off her case. Besides, his thing for the pretty girl wasn’t some sort of top secret either.

 

“Shut up~ no way!” Chaeyoung was squealing, living for such news.

 

“What are you talking about? Jisoo is totally into me. She just doesn’t want to be so obvious about it. Slow people like you can’t catch on,” Taehyung’s voice roared as he fired back at Jennie.

 

“Mhmm sure thing,” the girl laughed, “Chaeyoung you see, our friend has gone craz

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter