Proceed with Caution

MEMORIES: A Guy I Once Knew
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first few weeks of October flew by fast.

 

The weather grew to be much colder, at a more consistent rate. Much to Taehyung’s relief, Jennie had graduated from her sleeveless tops to appropriate warm sweaters. Even if it dropped a few degrees than what was expected, he always had her back, sparing her with his football team’s jacket. On those days, she would just drown in his uniform, her petite body being swallowed whole. But he would be firm about it, so there would be no way out.

Jennie Kim, if you get sick, I’ll get sick too.

It was somewhat true. With how much they were together, it was common for them to swing in with the same ill days. If one goes down, the other would too.

 

Suga had become the talk of the school.

 

He barely spoke, but when he did everyone was interested. Rarely, he would share anything personal. In fact, the most anyone knew that time was that he was originally from America, but lived in another big city some few hours away before transferring over. Speaking of which, that was another thing about him that irked Jennie. It was the way he talked about his past. Without spilling much detail (because it’s as if he thrived on being mysterious) he would boast about it, practically throwing complaints about this new location where Jennie and the rest called home. Suga just seemed very much disinterested in everything, as if he didn’t quite want to get to know their city...or maybe he was hesitant about doing so.

Who knows.  

 

Because of his unknown past, people were interested.

Girls thought it was cool, like a challenge to grow close; while some guys secretly thought of him as competition--because there was a very obvious spotlight now shining on him. Not to mention, he was also easy on the eyes. Unlike most of the male peers, he was a handful of inches much taller than most. Even if he didn’t try, which at first glance, he obviously didn’t, he wore clothes perfectly, his casual baggy layers falling effortlessly along his long frame.

 

Professors on the other hand, were concerned. Suga hardly paid attention during the lessons, always scribbling in his notebooks—often doodling little phrases that no one understood. And that was only when people were able to catch a glimpse at his work. He was secretive about it. Perhaps the only one that somewhat had a grasp as to what Suga so tentatively wrote down was Jungkook.

Jungkook had gone from being a lone wolf to extremely desirable in many of the females’ eyes. He stuck around the new one majority of the time and the two became a popular duo.

But the two weren’t the brightest peas in the pod.

When the first marked history quiz was returned, both had less than an impressive outcome, just barely passing by a mark or two. It didn’t even seem like they cared as the same thing would occur the next time around. Jungkook was living off the newly gained fame that he at first thought was rather odd, but now had secretly enjoyed. And Suga as usual, just seemed disinterested in the whole idea of school.

Jungkook was an easy target to fix as all he needed was any of the female classmates to tutor him (which they all lined up to do). The way to get the man’s head to work efficiently was as easy as making a girl read out the problem and then the solution would quickly come to mind for him.

 

As for Suga…it wasn’t long until Jennie was dragged into the situation.

 

 

Jennie wasn’t like the rest.

She wasn’t enchanted like the others. In fact, her days remained pretty much the same as it usually was. She had grown accustomed to having Suga in their little sitting area by the back. Even her neck automatically knew to strain itself from looking over his broad shoulders in order to get a good look at the whiteboard ahead.

 

He had not spoken to her much in the first week or so aside from the casual greetings of hello and how are you (or in his terminology-wassup?)…which were often pretty much said out of respect. She could spot the sarcasm easily in his voice.

If they weren’t named Jungkook, Suga wasn't much of a talker.

Once again, Jennie didn’t really care. She tried to start afresh with Suga, but he had such a stand-off persona that she eventually stopped. Just from the moment he sat in front of her, she concluded that attempting to break down the barrier he surrounded himself with, would be bothersome. She wasn’t too sold on the idea of such a strenuous task.

Jennie wasn’t sure whether or not Suga was the type that would be worth the effort anyway.

 

 

 

It was a Friday when Jennie waited at the school library.

 

Suga was running late, something that Jennie honestly was expecting, considering the fact that it was almost impossible to recall a moment when he was actually on time. Being early to an event was likely not even possible, a rare sight if ever to happen. She patiently waited while she quietly read a novel. Her eyes had drifted along the same page for several minutes now. She just couldn’t pay attention as her mind kept thinking about what the professor had told her earlier that day.

 

“He personally requested that you help him Jennie. He didn’t mention why but he was pretty adamant about it. And to be honest, I couldn’t agree more that you’d be a great influence on him. Please help him out. He’s not doing too well with his grades”.

 

Why did she agree to be his tutor? Maybe it’s because she just can’t say no. Or at least not to her teachers.

Can you show the class how you came up with that answer? -Yes

Can you be the representative reader for the upcoming event? -Yes

Can you volunteer to edit the school paper when you have time> -Yes

Can you tutor a fellow student? -Yes

 

It just so happened to be Suga.

Jennie is in no way a psychic or anything of the sort, but she could just tell that her new position wasn’t going to be close to easy. He barely kept his eyes open during the lectures. How the hell was she supposed to prevent him from sleeping if those who got paid to do such things were failing to keep him awake themselves? But there’s desperation in her teacher’s eyes. If there was something that Suga was succeeding in, it was the ability to leave people speechless. Even if they reprimanded him, he still refused to show much of a reaction.

Maybe she was their random solution to the student that detached himself. Whether or not she’d reach him, they honestly didn’t quite know.

 

 

“I read that book,” He calmly said as he quickly threw his bag down on the table before sitting across from her.

 

It took Jennie a couple of minutes to process what he said as the book she was reading wasn’t exactly one of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter