The Start

MEMORIES: A Guy I Once Knew
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was mid-October when he first entered into her life.

 

Unannounced, he came like the surprising little snowflakes that danced their way downwards from the ashened gray skies, which was odd and yet not really. The weather had been crazy unpredictable those days. Nobody appreciated the sporadic changes between wearing just a light cardigan to a full on parka.

That day, it wasn’t that cold, but the days never failed to whip a shiver down her spine. And despite it all, most days the sun did not give up, glistening a slither of auburn hope peeking its way through the stubborn clouds.

 

Jennie Kim never paid much attention to the weather.

She had other things to worry about. So it came to no surprise when her best friend had to wrap the girl in another layer.

 

“Hey nerd, are you trying to get sick?”

He could never grasp the concept of women's’ fashion. He would disapprove of the outfits that his friend wore day in and day out. Then again, Jennie barely dressed accordingly--sweaters during summer, tank tops during autumn. Maybe that’s why she never took it into consideration because he would worry for her instead.

 

Kim Taehyung was her best friend.

 

They met when they were probably around the age of ten. She transferred into his class one fated day and since then as if tangled together, they had been inseparable. Year in and year out, the two would get stuck in the same class. The first three times, they thought nothing about it, it was a mere coincidence. But when six years passed by, it soon grew into an expectation. His name would be on the same list as hers. And somewhere down the road, they grew adapted to the constant company of the other.

 

A friendship would brew just naturally.

 

They balanced each other out. While he was athletic, outgoing, talkative, and random, she was more calm, reserved, predictable, and studious. He was part of the football team, a team that was the cause of countless trophy banners decorating the school's gym. She found solitude in the art club, a gathering that consisted of just a small handful, a club that not much people even knew existed. He hung out with his own set of friends, while she did the same. But despite those differences, they would always prioritize the eachother over the others. Everyone knew of their special friendship. It would never fail to surprise the newer set of kids each year, but those that had seen it, were accustomed to the pair, even when they shifted to each other’s little circle (which happened quite often). No one really questioned it. Even if they did, they would likely not comprehend such a unique friendship. Because that’s what they were. Two very different people, very much the best of friends.

 

Jennie would only shoo off the boy. She’s used to his little antics, of how he’d enjoy poking fun at her especially when she would choose to bury herself in an exceptionally well written novel instead of mingling with the other peers during free period.

 

It would always somewhat bother Taehyung that Jennie was incredibly uptight sometimes. He’s a cheeky kid, but he’d unleash an extra level of foolishness to ease her up, even if it’s just a tad bit: playing with her hair, poking at her sides, etc. His craziness would eventually die down though, especially when a particular person would never respond or show jealousness.

 

“She hasn’t noticed me the entire day…”

 

Kim Jisoo was the object of his affection.

Jisoo easily had the title of being one of the prettiest-if not the prettiest-girl in school. There was a special look to her that was borderline girl next door and y. Taehyung believed that she was the perfect height to compliment his frame. Her personality wasn’t the greatest (at least according to Jennie-although the two don't really talk much), but Jisoo wasn’t a bad apple either.

 

Taehyung doesn’t know when he started to crush on her. Jennie believed it was that one time that the pretty girl had hugged him subconsciously during a game winning performance a year or so during the final football game in that season. Jennie could swear that Jisoo wasn't the type to enjoy such sports, or any sport really, but was rather there to fit in because girls of that type had to socialize. Jennie would skip these things if not for Taehyung. She could never understand the game of football no matter how hard her friend tried to explain.--which he tried plenty of times (too much to count). Jennie preferred basketball. A surprise to many because she didn't seem like one to be fond of any sport too, but they were wrong. She loved basketball, perhaps too much.

Even with the indifference, Jennie would make sure to be present for Taehyung's games, at least for majority of them. Although throughout the entire thing she would be lost at every play, she'd be there to show him her support. And he knew the effort she put in. It didn't go unnoticed. Maybe it was those small things that Jennie would do that solidified their friendship even more. So obviously when the team made finals, Jennie was there. She was there when the fans screamed at the final buzzer, the celebration erupting. She was there when Taehyung was headed her way for a congraulatory hug, but was swerved another way when Jisoo came between and hugged him first.

That’s probably where his obsession of how good she fit into his arms had stemmed from. Jennie would always remind her friend that the girl likely wasn’t into him the same way he was with her. Jennie could tell. It’s a woman’s intuition and she just knew that Jisoo wasn’t cat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter