Can & Cannot Do

MEMORIES: A Guy I Once Knew
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie does not bring up the topic of the bookmark or the personal message-that including the tiny heart-he had scribbled on down for her the next day. She doesn’t bring it up the day after either, or the day after that. It’s almost left as an unkept secret. One that she is reminded of everytime she cracks open whatever novel she was working on next. It’s not the best made bookmark, as its edges eventually curl upwards, but she diligently tries hard to maintain its original form because it means something. It means something to her.

 

Taehyung doesn’t speak one word out of the potential date that he had just gone on with the girl he had proclaimed to be his ideal type since forever. He dances around the topic when Jennie hints on wanting to know. They both go on with silence hovering around them until it’s too late to discuss the things that they want to discuss as he goes off on another road trip. She never really realized how frequent his departures are being  on the football team. But there’s one thing she knows, and it’s that his presence can never be replaced.

 

Even if Jisoo was arguably now considered one of her best friends, there were still things about her that Jennie could not pinpoint. Whether or not she had something going on with Taehyung was one of those things she was left in the dust knowing about. Similarly to the jock, Jisoo barely spoke about that day or even about him in general. What didn’t change was her obvious attraction to Suga. Jennie never knew that Jisoo’s opinion on him could get more vocal, but it surely did. It made Jennie somewhat uncomfortable since she still didn’t know what title her two best friends held. If they were a couple, Jennie hated how much she despised the girl for holding a kindle of liking for someone else. Even if miles separated them during times he went on the road, Jisoo should remain loyal. Perhaps that was the thing though.

Maybe the start of a Jisoo-Taehyung relationship was all in Jennie’s head. Because Jisoo would never be categorized in being those types of girls. She was her friend, so of course not.

 

Well that didn’t erase the fact that her ogling over Suga made it easy.

 

“Doesn’t he just make you go crazy?”

 

Jennie’s eyes travel in the line of direction of her friend’s. As per usual, Jisoo is all over Suga.

“Crazy, for sure,” she admits, “but likely not the same crazy you’re talking about.”

 

Jennie is still hung up over the fact that Suga likes to play dumb. Sure his grades started to go upwards, but the improvement is barely anything considering the fact that he was above average, possibly even borderline brilliant. He’s just too stubborn to let the truth out. And it’s pissing her off. Of course, the professors are all praises because the boy who has been buried in a slump of horrific grades was now scoring somewhat decently. But Jennie knew more than what they did. That was what made him crazy in her eyes. Why was he still role playing  as an idiot?

 

“Does he ever talk about me?” Jisoo batts her long lashes. Lashes that seem too good to be true--so full and fluffy where mascara wouldn’t even be necessary. She shuffles in her seat, pressed closely to the other as she giddily smiles just thinking of the possibility.

 

“U-Uh, sure.” Jennie lies. But it’s not really a lie.

Suga had asked about her maybe once or twice, just not in the way Jisoo would like it to be about. It was more so of a courtesy thing, an ice breaker when he’d join her at the library for their ‘tutoring’ sessions.

 

“But you do realize that he’s supposedly dating Irene though right?”

 

Jisoo’s face does a 180 and the smile disappears almost as quickly as it was shown.

“Don’t rain on my happiness Jennie Kim,” she leaps at her with a playful punch, “besides the key word to that is supposedly.”

 

Jisoo needed proof, absolute proof or else nothing would cloud her from the perfectness that was Suga. Suga never once confirmed it anyways. If all there was were talk and whispers of gossip and no concrete capture of the two making out or what not (and no, walking hand in hand meant nothing), Suga was entirely single by all means.

 

Honestly, it somewhat worried Jennie. Jisoo was a tad bit crazy over him. She wasn’t even sure if Jisoo knew the things that she did because he still carried that tendency to bottle his true self up if it was someone other than herself or Jungkook. All that she knew was that her friend was enamored by his voice, by the way clothes draped over him like a model. Everything was physical and sometimes there was an itch for Jennie to tell her about the small things, but it wasn’t her place to spill the beans.

 

“By the way, where’s Taehyung?”

 

“What  do you mean where is he?” Jennie muttered, now getting drawn back into her novel, her fingertips tracing the edge of the bookmark given to her by the man in question. She pondered whether or not Jisoo knew about it, but just in case she kept it flipped side down so that all that could be seen is the innocent illustration of the puppies and nothing of that of what he had written. Just in case the two were in fact dating--although she still had her doubts--Jennie walked on eggshells.

 

“He’s usually around. I kinda miss his loud self.”

 

Jennie looked at her friend almost confused. Was she playing dumb or did she really not know? Taehyung had been in the school football team for years now, arguably the star player. Everyone knew. Then again, Jisoo for the longest time seemed to not be aware (or just not care for) of his existence up until recently... But one would think that she’d take more of an interest in him since they were closer now. Taehyung loved to talk about football, about the games that had passed and the games that were coming up. He had spoken to Jennie and likely Jisoo as well about the road trip down to another city a few hours away. It was a big one after all. Taehyung had lost to the opposing team a year ago and could possibly have been Taehyung’s worst game to date. It was a moment he constantly tried to avoid talking about, wanting to erase how badly he had played. It was his kryptonite, one thing that brought him into darkness. Jennie knew that. It was another tidbit that Jisoo failed to know.

 

“He went down to Busan…for the game...” Jennie answered. 

 

“Oh, cool. By the way, did you know….” Jisoo had brushed it off so quickly, changing the conversation almost immediately, “Suga’s trying out for the track team~ Jungkook told me.” Her voice was bright almost in a sing song tone and it made Jennie frown just a tad.

 

Jennie hated it, but she could not help but to feel pity towards Taehyung. Somewhere four hours or so away, was her best friend who likely had more worries than ever with returning to a place he had been avoiding. And among the many concerns, Jisoo was one of them that he had longed for so long. Yet there the girl in turn was, cooing over another man, just barely throwing a spec of interest in regards to him. Poor Tae.

 

“Hellooo Jen? Did you hear me?”

 

“Sorry, what?”

 

“Suga.”

 

“What about?”

 

“He’s trying out for the track team.” There was a way in which Jisoo would talk about the new guy. It was how a sparkle in her eye shined that made it starkly different than how she would talk about Taehyung. Jennie could clearly see it and she was fretful of just the thought of the footballer noticing it too. However, she was pretty certain that he already did.

 

“That’s hard to believe.” Jennie had seen Suga plenty of times and never once was there a moment where he portrayed himself to be a runner or athletic at any shape or form. He was a sitter, a master of sitting down, slouching over his desk, arms folded. He was a man of bad posture.

 

“I love a man that’s athletic!” Jisoo cheered in which Jennie could only raise a brow at such a comment. What did that make Taehyung?

 

Hearing the boisterous yell gathered the attention of many. Jisoo was never good at keeping quiet. More often than not was the girl being watched by the male population at school. So it came to no surprise when the many eyes on the field had now blatantly made it more obvious as faces turned to the duo who sat comfortably under the tall maple tree.

 

“You called?" Jungkook appeared, followed by an ever slow Suga who was a few steps away. It still flustered Jennie just thinking about how ridiculous was the news of that turtle going for track.

 

“Jungkook. Suga,” Jisoo happily greeted. Perhaps being so loud was intentional on her part for her lips hung high from ear to ear only to squint competitively at the crowd of girls that the two always had surround them.

 

“I’d invite you to sit down, but I doubt there’s enough space for your little posse you got,” Jisoo was never the type to shy away from such comments, always so blunt that she had no difficulty saying what she felt.

 

“N

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter