Bikes Require Helmets and Switches

Pledis Girls (are) High

I was just following along quietly when I felt a tug on my shirt sleeve. To my left, Siyeon was also tagging along while looking at the ground. She turned to me, an easy smile on her face.

 

“So, Yewon-sshi-”

“There’s no need to call me so formally, just Yewon is fine.”

 

I’ve always found it weird to hear anyone refer call me in a formal way or evenas an older party! I’ve only has an older sister and since Seungyeon and I were adopted by the other unnies, there was no instance for anyone younger to refer to me so formally.

 

“Phew thanks! It’s so weird referring to someone so formally. Just call me Siyeon.”

“Okay, so Siyeon what were you about to say?”

“Oh yeah, wanna ditch them?”

“Huh?”

 

Siyeon is kind of... strange? Why would we want to ditch anyone? Aren’t we all going out together? I tilted my head in confusion. Suddenly, her cool aura slipped and she met my eyes rather bashfully.

 

“I wanna to take you on that date actually. That is, of course, if you don’t mind. As in, I know you didn’t really like the idea of having to go on a date during the competition but I would like to take you out? Do you mind? I’m rambling aren’t I? Never mind, I know I am there’s no need to reply but like erm… be my date?”

 

Both of our cheeks were dusted pink when she looked away, looking like she was mentally scolding herself for rambling. I blushed furiously, thoughts too silently whirring in my head.

 

Is she… asking me out? On a… date? Like an actual romantic date? Should I accept? I’ve been asked out before but never so directly before, or by a junior. Or more jarringly, never by a girl too. Not that there’s anything wrong about that fact, I just never saw it coming. Besides… she seems cool? What would Seungyeon do in this situation? She’d know what to say… Aishh, honestly sometimes I wish I was Kyungwon unnie so I can just say yes without any shame at all…

 

Fiddling with the hem of her blazer she (probably unconsciously) pouted then started to rap again.

 

“You know what it’s okay let’s just pretend this never happened why would a cutie like you want to go out with me anyways right? It’s not like we know each other and besides it’s your first date and-”

“I-I don’t mind.”

“Huh?”

 

As soon as I spoke up, her head snapped around, hands ceasing to fidget, hopeful eyes shining all of a sudden. She chewed her lower lip for a second, as if she couldn’t believe my answer.

Aigoo, just accept it and move on! I’m almost too embarrassed to look at you!

I waited for her to speak again but it was as if she couldn’t dare to believe my answer, still staring at me with those adorable puppy eyes!

 

“I said, I won’t mind going on a date… with you.”

 

After an eternity, a wide grin finally started spreading across her face, spreading from ear to ear.

 

“Really? You don’t mind?”

“No I don’t, I don’t wanna repeat myself again!”

 

I huffed and quickly looked away in embarrassment. From the corner of my eye I caught her pumping her fist and doing a little jig. Woah, that was totally unlike the charismatic, charming girl she was onstage just now. After her little dance she took a couple of seconds to recompose herself before cocking her head with a lilting smile.

 

“Hey, are you free later?”

“Y-yeah, why?”

“That’s good ‘cos I’m taking you on that date today!”

“What?”

 

 

Yewon and I headed backstage to grab their bags first. It was virtually empty, all the backstage crew having already packed up at the speed of light and went off on their ways. Of coursw, dazzling speed and efficiency, what else would you expect from Jihyo unnie? The other unnies were all engrossed in their own conversations so as soon as we came along main corridors I grabbed Yewon’s hand and shot her a quick smile.

 

“Let’s go!”

“Where are we going?”

 “You said you don’t have to pop by the band room again right? While the whole bunch swings around to get Yebin unnie’s jacket we can make a break first!”

“Oh…

 

She nodded her head at my explanation before furrowing her brows a tiny bit to ask.

 

“Don’t we have to tell the other first though? What if they find us missing and get worried?”

 

At that, she tilted her head again, a sad expression on her face at the thought that the other would be worried. Cute.

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll send them a text.”

“Oh, okay then!”

 

All of a sudden, Yewon beamed a megawatt smile at my simple answer. Woah, it’s like bright enough to beat out the sun. Speaking about sun, we should probably go soon before the sun sets.

 

“Do you wanna go home first? To ditch your stuff or something?”

“There’s no real need to but that’d be nice. Besides, I can’t just leave my bike in school, I need it tomorrow morning to get here.”

“You have a bike??”

 

My eyes widened in astonishment. Bike? As in motorbike bike or simple bicycle bike?

 

“Bike as in bicycle bike?”

“N-no, no! Bike as in bike! A cool bike! She’s really gorgeous too! I can go much faster on her than on my old bicycle.”

“That’s cool, I have a bike too. She’s a real beauty. Say, how bout we just drop home to ditch our stuff and change or something then I’ll come by to fetch you? At like 5? We can go grab dinner or something together later.”

“Sounds good to me!”

“All righty, lead the way to the carpark then, I’m still unfamiliar with the school. Plus I gotta fire Yebin unnie a text first.”

“Okey dokey!”

 

She grinned widely before pulling me down another corridor with her hand still in mine.

Soon enough, we were out of the school gate and in the carpark. Yewon kept rambling about how her bike was cool and fast and all. Kind of unexpected for her to get a bike, I mean, I don’t want to stereotype but I never would’ve expected the adorable little Yewon to own a motorbike! I would’ve thought she would own a cute bicycle with unicorns on the handlebars or something. Weirdly, we seem to be heading towards where my bike is…

 

 

“Here it is! My bike!”

 

She turned to me, eyes curved into an adorable eye smile, her hand reaching out to pat the handlebar fondly. I stared incredulously at it. The bright pink paint job. The offensively ‘cute’ Hello Kitty helmet. The rainbows stickers that adorned the metal body of the… scooter?

 

“This… this is the bike you were talking about?”

“Yeah! Her name, name, name, is Baewon!”

“She has a name?”

“Yeah! Seungyeon and I named it after us!”

 

Wait. Seungyeon and her have a couple name? Just what kind of friends are they? Anyways, when did her ‘bike’ become a scooter?

 

“Yewon, when I asked if you had a real bike, I meant to ask if you had a bicycle or a motorbike…”

“Oh-oh, you don’t like my scooter?”

 

Out of the blue, her eye smile slipped and a wavering pout came on her lips, as if she was on the brink of tears. Hell no, I did not just make Yewon sad!

 

“NO! No! Of course not! It’s just… not what I had in mind.”

“So… you don’t think Baewon is bad?”

 

She continued to look at me with puppy eyes. Urghhh, my heart is about to melt anytime soon.

 

“Of course not! I think Baewon is really nice! And, erm, erm, your helmet is really cute? I like it a lot!”

“You like my helmet a lot too! I picked it because I thought it looked adorable too! I’m really glad you think it’s cute too!”

 

Quick as a flash, a brilliant smile lit up her face as I secretly sighed in relief. Note to self, never make Yewon sad or her kicked puppy expressions will result in the death of me. She picked up the repulsively pink Hello Kitty helmet and placed in right onto… my head?

 

“Yewon! What are you doing?”

 

I yelped and tried to dodge the pink thing on my head. She giggled and pressed it down lightly so that it rested snugly on my head.

 

“I was wondering if it’ll fit you, considering that it’s a little too big for me, and it does!”

 

I couldn’t bring myself to confess that pink is my least favourite colour so I just shifted uncomfortably, hand reaching up to adjust it.

 

“Oh yeah? It does fit me well…”

“Yeah it does!”

“What about you then? You need a helmet, scooter or not.”

“Erm… good point…”

 

She looked down in thought again, scrunching her nose up to consider the predicament. Gahhhh why does everything she do look so cuteeeee??

 

“You can borrow mine?”

“Yours? What if it doesn’t fit though?”

“It should be fine, mine is adjustable.”

“Woah that’s great! Where’s your bike then?”

“Right here.”

 

I pointed directly to my left. Right beside her pink scooter, my beloved baby was waiting in all its polished glory. Its sleek, black body shone with hours spent painstakingly waxing, headlights and taillights boldly outlined in silver. The top-of-the-line, top speed achieving engine rested comfortably at the rear, just waiting to be kicked into action. The handlebar and seats were lined with top-grade leather, providing a firm grip yet still comfortable to the touch. My trusty black helmet and half-finger gloves were still hanging from the handlebars. Yewon stared for a second before looking back at me with bright eyes.

 

“This is your bike?”

“Yeah.”

“It’s so cool! And it looks so shiny!”

 

She squealed excitedly, immediately stepping forward to trace her hands along the sleek metal body. My eyebrow twitched. My hands itched to pull hers away from my precious motorbike. No one is ever allowed to touch my bike. But… but maybe an exception can be made. Just… just because.

 

I took off her helmet to place it on my seat, watching her walking around my black vehicle in fascination. After admiring my motorbike for a good few minutes she finally got over her wonder and stepped aside for me to grab my helmet. I placed it over her head and watched as she fiddled with it. She seemed to be having some problems adjusting so I immediately stepped in to help.

As I finished positioning the visor properly, I could feel her staring intensely at me.

It was only when I looked down into her eyes did I realise our apparent proximity. We were standing so close I could count easily every freckle on her flawless face, hear ever so softly her sharp intake of breath, feel distinctly her breath on my lips. I could also clearly see her adorable pink lips just waiting to be-

 

“T-thank you Siyeon.”

 

I finally broke my gaze from her hella kissable lips to notice the red hue rapidly taking over her cheeks, painting her face into the shade of a perfectly ripe tomato. I laughed and leaned just a tiny bit closer to look into her eyes, which had been wondering around everywhere except on me. When she met my eyes she turned an impossibly even deeper hue of red.

 

“No problem princess.”

 

I winked and brushed away a stray lock of hair from falling into her eyes. She blinked, eyes darting around as if unsure of what to do in this situation. Finally she stepped back and hurriedly skipped back to her own scooter, the red of her face spreading down to her neck even.

 

“I-I’ll see you l-later at 5! B-bye!”

 

She squeaked before hopping onto her bike, no wait, scooter. Her engine came to life with a little splutter before she turned back to me, red cheeks still very visible through the gap in the helmet.

 

“See you!”

 

She waved one last time, eyes curving into the crescent moons brighter than the stars in the night sky before speeding off out of the school gate. I stood in the almost empty carpark for a moment.

I swear her smile is bright enough to light up my day, any day, every day. Bright enough to paint the sky in fantastic shades of yellow, of orange, of pink. Speaking about pink-

I looked at the seat of my black motorbike, where an obscene hot pink Hello Kitty helmet sat waiting for me. I sighed. Oh, the things I do for her.

 

 

_________________________________________

Hi again! Back with the first part of Yewon and Siyeon's first date out! Just to be certain, it starts off with Yewon's POV before switching to Siyeon's cheesy words haha I have a ton of important exams and stuff coming up soon so the next chapter might come a long while later (sorry!) Thank you a bunch for the love y'all are showing! Please feel free to leave something below keke~ Take care and till next time! *up, up and away*