Jackets Cover Stains and Red Cheeks

Pledis Girls (are) High

Minkyung’s POV

            Making my way around school, I flipped my still semi-wet hair behind my back.

That brat, how dare she douse me with water on the very first day of school? Did she know how long I spent trying to curl it properly? Urghhh it’s not like she’ll know anyways, what with that ridiculously short hair. I’m supposed to maintain a proper image as the Vice-Prez but noooooo she just has to prank me on the first day, I swear-

 

“DJ Juju is in the house yoooooooo!”

 

            From the very end of the corridor I heard a familiar voice scream in excitement as loud whoops joined in soon after. It was followed with an awfully cringe-worthy smashing of high-hats, along with a scream of anger and loud scuffling.

 

“Nunu! Don’t touch my drum set! Get your tiny paws off!”

“Tiny paws?? I’ll have you know that my hands are adorable thank you very much!”

“Woo, your hands aren’t adorable, they’re just tiny.”

“THEY. AREN’T. TINY. FIGHT ME PATHETIC CHINESE FANGIRL OF COUNCIL-”

“…”

            The first thing that caught my attention was the sight of Jieqiong laughing while fending off attacks from an enraged Eunwoo swiping at her head. In another corner of the room, a headset adorning Yebin was lovingly caressing her drums with one hand, the other still clutching a half-eaten hotdog. I stood at the doorway staring for a good 10 seconds before Jieqiong finally looked up while blocking another slapping attempt.

 

“Minkyung unnie! Great to see you!”

 

Her cheerful greeting caused Eunwoo to finally stop attempting (and failing) to get back at Jieqiong and quip an equally cheery greeting,

 

“Minkyung unnie! What brings you here?”

I smiled and ruffled Eunwoo’s hair as she beamed at me,

 

“I heard screams and thought I’d check it out,”

“Oh… it was Juju, I swear!”

“Excuse me?­”

 

Eunwoo’s shameless attempt at lying caused an extremely offended-looking Jieqiong to turn and clutch her heart dramatically,

 

You shouted FIGHT ME!”

“No! It was you Juju!”

“Wasn’t!”

“Was!”

“Wasn’t!”

“Was!”

“Wasn’t!”

“Was!”

 

At the start of yet another childish quarrel, I stood up and walked towards where Yebin was still standing next to her precious drum set, munching on her hotdog. Even from afar I could hear what sounded suspiciously like ’24 Hours’ being blasted on her headset.

 

Huh, seems like she doesn’t even realise I’m here.

 

A wave of disappointment washed over me before I grinned,

 

She doesn’t realise I’m here, hmm? I’ll have to let her know then.

 

I snuck up to her step by step, not making a single sound. Eunwoo and Jieqiong were still squabbling in the background and as I approached to stand behind her. Still, she remained blissfully unaware, head bobbing gently to her music as she raised her hotdog to . I stood there waiting for her to realise my presence but she didn’t seem to notice me at all.

 

Hmm, this won’t do. I need to surprise her.

 

Ever so carefully, I inched forward so I ended up standing directly behind her small frame. With the careful control of a predator approaching its prey, I leaned forward till my face was right beside her ear, breaths close to her neck and front almost pressing against her back. Just as she was about to bite into her hotdog, I lurched forward to steal a bite.

 

“AHHHHHHHHH!”

 

Yebin let out a high-pitched scream of terror before jumping back in surprise, right into me. I yelped at the sudden weight and struggled to maintain balance before squeezing my eyes shut and falling backwards as well, landing heavily with an extra weight in my arms.

 

­­­Ouch, my poor innocent ! It’s gonna hurt like hell later! First my hair and now my , I swear- holy smokes, Yebin!

 

My eyes flew open at the sudden realisation that Yebin had fallen as well, albeit on me. It seemed that Yebin had naturally cowered for protection as she fell. I blinked as the second realisation hit me that our position was rather... well… intimate. I was lying on my back, legs sprawled out, and arms hugging Yebin securely. Yebin’s two hands were clutching tightly onto my shirt, face buried at the crock of my neck and eyes squeezed shut, as if anticipating a painful fall.

 

We both lay frozen there for a while, lost in thoughts and adrenaline still rushing. Yebin felt warm leaning against me, nothing like the loud friends she constantly surrounded herself with. Seeing her eyes still squeezed shut, a sudden feeling of protectiveness overcame me.

 

Look at this soft child! Must protect!

 

“WOOHOOO! NICE ONE UNNIE!”

“HELL YES THAT WAS STRAIGHT OUT OF A MANGA!”

 

Two boisterous voice broke the serene mood with whoops and cheers. Jieqiong and Eunwoo hugged each other while jumping and squealing like fangirls. Their faces were covered with ear-splitting grins that spelt mischief.

 

“Aishh, what are the two of y’all talking about… Yebin, are you okay?”

 

Weirdly, my cheeks started to feel like they were burning as I watched Yebin slowly opening her bright doe-like eyes to stare into mine. She stared at me unblinkingly for a moment before jumping away, face and ears rapidly turning red.

 

“I’m fine unnie! Perfectly fine! Th-thanks…”

 

Yebin stuttered and fiddled with her jacket as she looked around everywhere but at my direction. I smiled and couldn’t help but laugh upon seeing the multiple ketchup stains on it. The latest one was probably because I snuck up on her but the others must’ve been from before.

 

“Sorry for ruining your jacket… you’re kind of a messy eater, aren’t you?”

 

Almost impossibly, her face tuned an even brighter shade of red as she attempted to cover the stains.

 

“N-no! I’m not!”

 

She hastily took off her jacket while glancing nervously at me, as if afraid I would nag or scold her for eating messily.

 

Aw, she thinks I’m going to scold her. Cute. Wait, isn’t she afraid of the cold?

 

“Aren’t you going to get cold? It’s still chilly around this time.”

 

Yebin pouted and shrugged,

 

“I’ll deal with it, it’s not like I carry an extra jacket around.”

“You know what? I have an extra jacket in the council room, I’ll pass it to you later.”

 

I smiled and dusted myself off. Speaking about council, I still have rounds to finish. I turned to Jieqiong and Eunwoo, who were huddling together silently watching us while suppressing giggles.

 

“I’ll be heading of first, see y’all later! I’ll pass the jacket to you later, Yebin-ah.”

 

Eunwoo and Jieqiong stopped their giggling to wave back ecstatically while Yebin smiled meekly as I turned to leave.

 

“Thanks for dropping by, unnie!”

“I’ll be seeing you soon too, unnie!”

“Bye unnie.”

 

I left the room, recalling the incident that just happened. She’s really an adorable kid, messy eating and all. I stepped into the council room to grab my big comfy jacket and turned to hurry back and pass it to her. The weather is still rather cold, after all.

 

I imagined Yebin wrapped up in my sweater. It was slightly too big even for me. The sleeves would probably go way over her fingers and she’d look more like a kid in the severely overly-sized jacket. At the thought, a smile appeared on my face.

 

My overly-sized jacket.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Part 2 is up! I'm really thankful to those to have read/subscribed/commented so far, it means the world to me! Please don't hesitate to share any of your thoughts, I'll do my best to make sure this is a safe space for everyone :)

I'm sorry for those who ship other couples, I love them with all of my heart too!!

Till next time!