First Move

The Adventures Of Wolf Pup Sehun

“Well, this is all of it,” Yixing said as he zipped up the last of four newly purchased oversized wheeled suitcases and looked around the now empty den. 

 

This was really happening.  All of the individual dens would really be demolished the following week and in its place, an imposing yet robust and secure mansion with 21th century amenities would be built up during the wintertime.  Consequentially, the pack members were all slowly going to the apartments throughout November, and the two couples with pups would be the first to leave.  In fact, Jongdae and Minseok had left for the apartments two days ago after a quick farewell between Jongin and Sehun through a rub of each other’s noses.  

 

“Goodbye, old home.  You will be missed,” Junmyeon sighed, reminiscing about all the memories that he and Yixing had in that very den.

 

Yixing came up behind Junmyeon to hug him from behind, having always been the type of alpha that loved being affectionate and touchy with the ones he loved.  Junmyeon leaned into Yixing’s firm chest as they stood in silence for a good minute, and only detached themselves when Sehun made his way in between their legs and peered up at them.

 

With one final look around, Junmyeon ushered the seven-month-old pup into the carrier and securely zipped it up.  At this action, the omega noted that Sehun had much less space now that the pup was continuing to grow up.  Pretty soon, the pup would no longer need a carrier, and that thought scared Junmyeon a bit.

 

Pushing these thoughts out of his head for the time being, Junmyeon attached the carrier to one of the travel bags.  After announcing their departure to the rest of the pack, the family of three set off in the mid-afternoon warmth on the hour long walk to the edge of the city where their taxi transport would be waiting for them.

 

November in the deep woods was surprisingly comfortable, and both Junmyeon and Yixing did not need anything more than a light jacket for the moderately cool temperatures.  It also helped that werewolves could modulate their body temperatures a little better than normal humans as well.

 

The two parents rolled the four suitcases behind themselves, two apiece, with Yixing carrying his guitar inside its protective case on his back and Sehun’s carrier being attached to one of Junmyeon’s suitcases. They discussed various topics, from the layout of their next mansion that would be breaking ground at the beginning of December, to the upcoming Christmas holiday, and the success of Sehun’s and Jongin’s playdate the week before (much to the excitement of Junmyeon and Yixing’s stark grumbling of disapproval).

 

After a quick potty break for Sehun, the family came across the familiar gray sedan with the howling wolf decal logo for werewolf transport at the edge of the empty road near the opening of the forest.  Seeing the family exit the forest, Kim Jonghyun, the same taxi driver that was trusted by their pack and many others to get them to their destinations safely and on time, stepped out of the vehicle.

 

With a quick greeting, said beta male helped Junmyeon and Yixing place the large rolling suitcases into the cavernous trunk along with Yixing’s guitar case.  The two parents felt much better after being relieved from lugging their possessions throughout the forest. 

 

After this, Junmyeon took Sehun’s carrier and placed it into the center perch in the rear seat of the vehicle, and slid into the passenger side of the rear seat with Yixing entering from the other side.  Jonghyun shut the lid of the trunk with a solid “Thunk!” and got back into the driver’s seat as well.

 

Once everyone was comfortably settled and buckled into their seats, Yixing ped Sehun’s carrier and took the white pup out, much to Sehun’s relief that he would not be confined any longer.  Sehun barked happily and at his daddy’s face.  Junmyeon also lightly pet the top of Sehun’s head as well and received quick to his hand in return.  Jonghyun turned around and smiled fondly at the loving scene playing out in front of him.

 

“Looks like Sehun enjoys being affectionate with his parents!  And he’s grown so much since I saw him last as well,” Jonghyun mused as he reached out a hand for Sehun to sniff, unsure if Sehun recognized him as the same werewolf who drove them to the city for the pup’s doctor visit a couple of months back.

 

Much to the surprise of Sehun’s parents, the omega pup looked at the beta with wide eyes in sudden recognition.  He launched himself onto the center console and Jonghyun’s palm while sitting down on the fixed storage box to get more comfortable before allowing Jonghyun to pet him on his muzzle and back.

 

“Aww, this little one remembers me!  I’m touched,” Jonghyun remarked as he carefully picked Sehun up and placed him into his lap.

 

Sehun loved this attention from the nice smelling beta werewolf that safely drove himself and his daddies once before.  His tail wagged quickly behind himself as Jonghyun pet him lovingly for another few seconds behind lifting the pup out of his lap and holding Sehun out for his parents to take him back.

 

“I like this pup.  You should protect him at all costs,” Jonghyun said as Junmyeon took Sehun into his lap and gave Sehun his stuffed toy dog Vivi.  The pup instantly curled up into a ball around Vivi before shutting his eyes, ready for a midday nap.

 

“We definitely will,” Yixing responded.

 

“How has the weather been in your territory?” Jonghyun asked, releasing the parking brake and shifting into gear before slowly driving off.

 

“Pretty cool,” Junmyeon stated.  “The trees really do block out a lot of sunlight.”

 

“It’s not like slightly warm or cool temperatures that affect humans affect us though,” Yixing quipped.

 

“That’s true,” Jonghyun agreed.  “I haven’t owned a new parka in years.”

 

“How the SHINee pack’s mansion?” Junmyeon curiously asked.  “Ours is being built starting next month.”

 

“Oh, congratulations!   I’m so glad Yifan has finally agreed to get up to date with the other packs around here.  Goodness, even our mansion was built five years ago,” Jonghyun remarked, reaching the highway turnoff.  “It’s a two-floor affair, with tasteful furnishings, and more than enough bedrooms and bathrooms for us all.  We all especially enjoy having our pack’s mansion on the edge of the divide between the city and the forest since it really helped us assimilate easily with the modern world.”

 

“It’s about time,” Yixing said, shaking his hand in remembrance of how the rest of the pack had to convince Kris about the benefits of living in contemporary housing for at least two years now.  “It will definitely give us protection against certain predatory characters.”

 

“Goodness, Yixing, did something happen?,” Jonghyun asked, worry etched into his facial expression as he glanced back at the alpha through his rearview mirror.

 

“More like a certain alpha pup who doesn’t know when not to attempt to court Sehunnie,” Yixing huffed out, much to Junmyeon dismay and an eyeroll.

 

There was ten seconds of silence, and there existed a suddenly tense atmosphere building in the midsize sedan before Jonghyun snickered lightly and finally broke out into a fit of giggles.  Junmyeon joined in before immediately shushing himself as he did not want to wake the now sleeping pup with too much noise.  Yixing moodily shushed the two of them and pouted slightly while crossing his arms over his chest.

 

“Sorry, Yixing, it’s just that--,” Jonghyun had to pause to take a much needed breath of air.  “Jongin isn’t not even one yet, if I remember correctly.  There will be no courting of any kind going on for a long time.”

 

“I guess you’re right,” the alpha muttered out, scratching Sehun’s head lightly before looking out the window once more.

 

“Besides, they’re only pups.  Of course Sehun is going to want to play with the only other werewolf that’s about the same age as him,” Junmyeon reasoned, mentally cheering as he saw the alpha’s previously stern expression relax into a more serene one.

 

“I hope that’s the reason,” Yixing said.  “But we have to make sure no funny business happens between the two of them.”

 

“Of course,” Junmyeon stated with confidence. 

 

“I love that you both are doing what’s best for Sehun,” Jonghyun remarked.  “It reminds me of Kibum and I raising our own pup a few years ago.”

 

“Oh, right!,” Junmyeon announced in realization.  “You must tell us about all about what your pack has been doing these past few months.”

 

And with that, easy conversation about the everyday life of the SHINee pack was talked about for the final half hour car ride to the apartments.  Soon enough, Jonghyun slowed the car down as he pulled up in front of one of the many werewolf apartment complexes around the city.

 

“We’re here,” Jonghyun announced as he set the parking brake and pulled the release handle to open the trunk.

 

With the temporary parking of the vehicle, Yixing exited the car, and the closing of the rear door awoke Sehun from his peaceful slumber.  The pup slowly opened his eyes and took in his surroundings before looking up at his appa.

 

“We’re here,” Junmyeon said quietly to Sehun as he carefully coaxed the white pup back into the carrier and zipped him safely inside.

 

The omega opened his door and retrieved the carrier and went to the back of the car to help with the rest of the luggage.  Jonghyun made sure that all of the suitcases were upright on the ground and also checked to see if Sehun’s carrier was firmly attached to the handle of one of the bags.  Finally, the beta asked if they needed any help getting the suitcases up to the third floor where the entire level was completely rented out and dedicated to apartments for members of the Exo pack.

 

“Thanks for the offer, hyung, but we’ve got it,” Yixing said, slipping on the guitar case onto his back and grabbing the handles of two of the oversized suitcases.

 

“Yeah, it’s already almost nighttime, and we’re your last passengers.  You deserve to get home to your mate.  Tell Kibum and the others that we said hello,” Junmyeon said, smiling brightly at the beta werewolf.

 

“You’re too kind, you two!  I guess you are right though.  I’ll see you guys again in the springtime.  Have an eventful holiday season!,” Jonghyun said as he reached down to place his hand into the opening of Sehun’s carrier.

 

Sehun gave him a final goodbye , and the white pup’s tail wagged quickly before Jonghyun removed his hand once more.  The beta wished the small family a final farewell for now before turning around and getting back into the driver’s seat of the vehicle.  He then slowly pulled away from the curb towards home.

 

Junmyeon and Yixing watched as the gray sedan drove down the busy street and turned the corner out of their sight.  Turning back to the apartment building, the two adults slowly dragged the four suitcases through the lobby and onto the elevator.  They securely stood them up before Yixing pressed the “3” button on the control panel.  The doors closed, and the metal box whirred and went up to their desired floor. 

 

Junmyeon and Yixing again began to carefully roll the bags out of the elevator and onto the carpeted ground of the hallway.  Passing Jongdae and Minseok’s shared apartment, Yixing fished out their apartment key from his jacket pocket and was about to unlock the door when he heard the sound of another door opening and a blur of brown fur rush up to them.

 

Before Yixing could react, Jongin was pawing at the suitcase where Sehun’s carrier was attached and repeatedly said Sehun’s name.  Sehun barked softly down at Jongin in joyful greeting as he was ecstatic that he could see his friend again.  Jongdae and Minseok walked up behind Jongin and chuckled softly at how fond their pup was towards the smaller omega pup.

 

“Hey, guys,” Minseok said.  “Looks like someone wanted to give you a warm greeting the moment you guys arrived.”

 

“That’s for sure,” Yixing said as he easily unlocked the door and rolled his bags inside before looking back through the open door.  “C’mon, Myeonnie and Sehun.  Lets go inside.”

 

“We’ll see you guys in a few minutes to catch up,” Junmyeon said to the other couple before dragging his bags through the front door of his and Yixing’s apartment as well.

 

Yixing found a little too much joy in shutting the apartment door before Jongin could enter their apartment as well.  Smirking at his action, the alpha turned back towards the suitcases and ped Sehun from the carrier.  The pup rushed out of the carrier and was glad to finally be able to walk around freely in an open space.  While the alpha got Sehun comfortable, Junmyeon placed his keys on a hook by the front door before washing his hands and then setting up Sehun’s puppy potty training pad.

 

The couple had just relaxed with some much needed bottled tea from the fridge at the kitchen table for ten minutes when they heard a knock at the door.  Junmyeon got up and brought his mug with him as he peered through the peephole.  The omega smiled to himself after looking through the peephole and unlocked the door for Jongdae and Minseok.   Jongin was snuggled securely in Minseok’s arms.

 

“Hey, guys,” Jongdae greeted, giving Junmyeon and Yixing his signature smile that turned slightly upwards at the corners of his mouth.

 

“Hi,” Junmyeon said, walking over to the kitchen table and placing his almost empty cup of tea down before turning back to the couple.  “We’re here now.”

 

“I know,” Minseok said.  “We’re glad you all have arrived, and someone here is especially happy about this.”

 

The omega motioned to the squirming alpha pup in his arms that wanted to be let down so he could sit next to Sehun who was playing with Vivi in the living room.  Minseok placed Jongin down onto the tile flooring, and the four adults watched as Jongin ran over and Sehun’s muzzle lightly before commencing playtime with Sehun and his stuffed toy dog.  Yixing’s hackles were suddenly raised.

 

“Actually, we were about to leave to get some food for dinner,” Yixing said in a slightly panicked manner, moving to go the hallway closet to retrieve his and Junmyeon’s jackets.  “We’re happy you came to us, though.  We’ll be going now.”

 

“That’s actually what we came to ask you guys about,” Jongdae said, placing a hand on Yixing’s shoulder to stop the alpha from needlessly bringing out any outerwear.

 

“I actually prepared enough braised beef and kimchi stew for all of us,” Minseok responded.  “I even steamed some spinach and cooked some tender cuts of beef for the pups as well.  Thank goodness I cooked all of it.”

 

“I washed and cooked the rice!,” Jongdae retorted, pouting at his mate while defending his helpful role in that night’s dinner.  “With a rice cooker!  I adjusted the water level very well without Kyungsoo’s help!”

 

“And I thank you for that,” Minseok responded while shaking his head before returning his attention back to Junmyeon and Yixing.  “Anyways, you guys are probably tired from traveling for most of the afternoon.  Why don’t you guys have dinner with us and then you guys can shower and get some rest?”

 

“That’s actually a great idea,” Junmyeon said.  “We’ll be right down.”

 

“Fantastic!  Lets go back to our place,” Jongdae replied.  “Everything is ready.”

 

Jongdae motioned for Yixing to leave the apartment with him as Minseok moved to pick Jongin back up.  However, the alpha pup whined as he wanted to play with Sehun and his stuffed toy dog a little bit more.

 

“Sehun is coming with us for dinner,” Minseok easily explained.

 

Jongin didn’t completely understand everything that his appa had just said, but did know enough to realize that he would not be separated from Sehun for the time being.  With a happy bark of Okay! to Minseok through the bond, Jongin got up and motioned for Sehun to follow. 

 

The white pup placed Vivi back next to the foot of the couch before rushing back to Jongin and playfully nudging the alpha pup’s hind quarters.  Jongin barked out in happiness in return.  At this small action, the two omegas chortled at their respective son’s actions.

 

“Looks like they’re becoming close friends,” Junmyeon pointed out as he grabbed his keys and opened the door before letting the other omega and the pups into the hallway.  He then locked the apartment door before turning back to a smirking Minseok.

 

“Definitely,” Minseok agreed.  “We’ll see where this relationship goes.”

 

The two pups ran over to the other apartment, and waited patiently as Minseok opened the door for them.  Once inside, the adults sat down to the comforting and hearty stew.  Meanwhile, the pups each had a piece of beef already shredded up into bite sized pieces, blanched spinach, and a bowl of water for a well-balanced meal as well. 

 

During dinner, the adults discussed various topics like the expected arrival of the other pack members in the coming week as well as the Vixx pack that was located on the floor below them.  Most importantly, the topic of Jongin’s upcoming shift in the next two months was brought up.  Jongdae and Minseok were nervous about how Jongin would look, but Junmyeon reassured the couple that Jongin would look just as handsome as both of them.

 

After everyone had finished eating, both Junmyeon and Yixing helped to wash all the dishes, pots, and utensils at Junmyeon’s insistence at the kitchen sink.  Jongdae and Minseok thanked the couple and went into their living room along with the pups to relax for a little while.

 

When all of the cleaned kitchenware was finally left to dry on the dish drying racks, Junmyeon and Yixing came into the living room to see a precious sight in front of them.  Minseok and Jongdae were seated on one end of the sizeable sectional with the omega affectionately resting his head on Jongdae’s shoulder.  On the extended portion was Sehun and Jongin, and only the two pups’ heads were visible from where the two of them were cuddled up together underneath a large and fluff fleece blanket.  Junmyeon audibly cooed at the cuteness that was occurring.

 

“Xingie, look!  They look so warm and cozy next to each other,” Junmyeon cooed, and Sehun gave his parents a happy bark to let his parents know that he was enjoying himself.

 

Yixing, however displeased with the constant closeness between his son and the alpha pup, did have to admit that the scene in front of him was adorable.  Nevertheless, Jongin had one of his paws on top of Sehun’s back!  His eyebrows furrowed in slight irritation at the chocolate brown pup’s action. 

 

“I think we should be returning back home for the night,” Yixing said.  Jongin’s parents nodded in agreement.

 

“I guess you’re right. You guys did travel for most of the afternoon,” Jongdae agreed, getting up from the sectional sofa, and Minseok stood up as well.

 

Thanks for the company you guys,” Minseok added.  “We’ll see you both tomorrow.”

 

Junmyeon and Yixing said goodnight and thanked the couple again for the scrumptious meal.  Junmyeon picked up Sehun and placed him on the ground before telling the pup to follow them.  Seeing this, Jongin hopped down from the sofa as well and followed after and called out for Sehun.  The white pup turned back, and the chocolate brown pup rushed up and gave him a goodbye of his own in the form of a rub to Sehun’s muzzle.

 

Sehun was satisfied that he had properly said goodbye to his friend.  He turned back and made his way out of the front door where his parents were waiting.  The white pup also rubbed his body against Jongdae and Minseok as a physical means of thanking them as well.

 

Thank you, Sehun said in a more practiced and fluid manner (than a couple of months ago) through the bond.

 

And with that, Sehun trotted out of the door, and Jongin watched the omega pup as he ran into his own apartment with Junmyeon and Yixing following closely behind the pup.  After making sure that the door of the other apartment was closed, Jongin turned and went back to the couch where the blanket lay with Sehun’s scent lightly permeating a certain area of the fabric.  That night, the chocolate brown pup went to bed after wrapping himself up in that exact blanket.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for patiently waiting everyone!  This is a mostly boring filler chapter that is needed for the plot to formally bring the pack into the 21st century, and it will also make writing a lot easier for this story.  In regards to having Jonghyun as the taxi driver, I already had him play this role in chapter 4 back in August, and I also got feedback from readers that I should continue to keep Jonghyun in this story as well.  I also had him in a minor role in my other Exo story back in June.  I just wanted to clarify this for new readers as well as anyone else who may not understand why he is being mentioned here.  Also, thank you very much for the upvotes and subscriptions to this story!  I can't believe that this fic has over 200 subscribers!  As always, don't forget to subscribe, upvote, and leave comments on anything of interest, and keep those suggestions coming!  I take note of the ones I may want to use for upcoming chapters since the feedback I receive is really helpful to me as a writer.  Get ready for Christmas celebrations next chapter!