First Word

The Adventures Of Wolf Pup Sehun

Things had been going quite smoothly for the small family of three.  Sehun had been developing well over the past two months and his milk teeth were coming in well.  The tiny pup could be constantly found biting everything he could get his mouth on.  Not only that, but Sehun could confidently make gurgling noises and random sounds through the shared bond with his parents and other members of the pack when they were around.  Sehun’s parents were patiently (or impatiently) waiting for the day when their son could finally speak.

 

Today, it is the day in which Yixing must perform his scheduled hunt with another alpha to do his part in contributing to the pack’s food reserves for the rest of the month.  It would just be Junmyeon and Sehun together for the whole day.

 

Junmyeon and Yixing had decided on sleeping in their human forms with Sehun placed onto the furs in the corner.  As the first rays of sunlight spilled through the opening to the den, Junmyeon awoke and gently shook his mate wake.

 

“Xingie.  Time for hunting,” Junmyeon whispered gently into Yixing’s ear.

 

Yixing grumbled as he had never been a morning person and had wanted to spend the day trying to get Sehun to successfully say “daddy”.  However, he knew that he had duties to fulfill for the nourishment of the pack.  He slowly got up went to the stream to wash up before heading out. 

 

When the alpha was properly awake, Yixing effortlessly shifted into his large gray wolf and gave Junmyeon a friendly bark.  Yixing was about to head out when he heard whimpering coming through the bond.  Quickly, Yixing turned around to see Sehun awake on his designated furs, his eyes drooped sadly downwards and threatening to spill tears as the little one misinterpreted his daddy’s actions as leaving him.

 

Yixing, sensing his son’s distress, made his way over to his son and rubbed his large nose with his son’s tiny button one and received a to his muzzle in return.  With a small pat to his son’s head, Sehun was satiated and let out a happy yip.

 

Junmyeon watched this scene unfold with fondness in his heart as he realized how much their son truly loved his parents.  Yixing turned around and finally was able to leave the den.  Sehun was quick on his daddy’s trail as he attempted to right himself and stumbled off his bed of furs.  With his short legs, Sehun slowly made his way to the mouth of the den and watched his daddy’s retreating figure.  When Yixing was a small speck in the distance, Sehun turned around and looked up at his appa.

 

“Now we can continue on with our lesson, alright puppy Sehun?” Junmyeon said, happiness evident in his voice.

 

Sehun had no idea what his appa was saying, but he seemed happy.  He wondered what he would be doing with his appa besides hearing him repeat that one word to him every time his daddy left to do something.  What was that word that appa would say while pointing at himself?  Eppe?  Apple? App-- oh he’s saying appa!  He wagged his little white tail and barked softly at his appa while Junmyeon smiled softly back at his son.  Perhaps today would be the day.

 

 

*****

 

 

Yixing, being the proud alpha daddy that he was, just couldn’t go without talking about his precious son to the other alphas while hunting.  It was his turn to do the daily hunt along with another alpha of the pack by the name of Chanyeol.  This alpha seemed scary at first with his deep voice, tall height, defined arm muscles, and gigantic and rich chocolate furred wolf, but was really the silliest alpha.  He was always cracking jokes and making situations lighthearted along with his shorter omega mate Baekhyun.

 

The two alphas had been hunting for the entirety of the morning and had been very successful in their hunt.  There was easily enough food available to the rest of the pack for the month. 

 

And then Sehun rolled over and gave the biggest smile ever!  You should have seen it, Chanyeol, Yixing boasted to the other slightly taller alpha through the pack bond as the two tag teamed and killed another sizable deer that would make a great meal in the coming weeks.

 

Chanyeol easily moved the deer to the sizable pile of rabbits and deer already caught and placed into the large plastic tarp that had been purchased from a hardware store last time the pack had made a trip to the city.  The contraption made for easy transport of food back to the pack grounds.  Near the tarp were two pairs of simple shorts and t-shirts that were always brought by pack members if they wanted to hunt and shift back to human form at any given time.

 

I think that’s enough, Yixing.  There’s so much here that the pack will most definitely be smoking most of it.  We’ll definitely be able to have an excellent meal tonight, replied Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol? Were you listening?  I was telling you about how cute Sehun is and---, Yixing was interrupted by a loud sigh coming loud and clear from the slighter younger wolf. 

 

I heard, Yixing, it’s just, you know what, never mind. Lets head back, Chanyeol said as he shifted back to his human form, put on his designated clothes, and began to drag the tarp back towards home.

 

Wait, hold up, what’s really wrong?  Did something happen between you and Baekhyun?  Chanyeol, it’s not good to keep bad thoughts cooped up inside, Yixing chided as he also shifted and scrambled into some clothing before doing his part in lifting the tarp over broken branches and nudging the tarp around shrubbery.

 

“You really want to know?” Chanyeol questioned.

 

“Of course, Chanyeol!  We’re pack, and I’m sure whatever happened is important,” Yixing said.

 

“Well, Baekkie and I have been kind of jealous of you and Junmyeon having Sehun and Jongdae and Minseok having Jongin.  We’ve seen how happy you guys are, and we want that special connection and physical showing of our love too,” Chanyeol admitted and carefully set the tarp on the ground and looked at the other alpha.

 

“Pup fever, huh?  Sounds about right,” Yixing quipped as he moved from around the back of the tarp to stand in front of Chanyeol.

 

“I’m scared to be a parent.  I’m barely a good alpha mate for Baekhyun and an average provider for the pack.  Heck, Baekhyun and I still play childish pranks on you guys sometimes.  How will Baekhyun and I be able to take care of a pup?” Chanyeol questioned with worry in his voice.

 

“Oh, Chanyeol.  You and Baekhyun of all couples mustn’t worry.  You both have big hearts and are naturally nurturing.  Your antics are never dangerous.  Don’t stress out about it,” Yixing said softly.

 

Chanyeol looked up from the ground.

 

“You really think so?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“I know so.” Yixing said.

 

“Thanks, Yixing.  It means a lot coming from you.  Now, lets head home.  I’m sure Sehun wants to see his daddy again,” Chanyeol said as he picked up the tarp again.

 

“Of course!  And if you ever want some practice, I’m sure Junmyeon would be alright with some babysitting from you and Baekhyun.  Myeonnie and I need a date night soon.  I’m planning something especially romantic since we haven’t done anything since he was still pregnant with Sehun,” Yixing said as he picked up his side and the two began moving again.

 

“I’d like that very much.  You guys definitely deserve it for all your hard work in caring for Sehun and doing your part for the pack as well,” Chanyeol replied.

 

“Do you want to hear about what I have planned for date night?” questioned Yixing.

 

“Yeah!  Now, what will this night entail?  Some y times, perhaps?” Chanyeol chuckled out as Yixing simply winked knowingly as he explained his plans in depth to the taller alpha.

 

 

*****

 

 

Sehun had been enjoying his day with appa.  Sure, appa had still been pointing to himself and saying ‘Appa’ over and over like a chant for at least 30 minutes after daddy had left, like Sehun still didn’t know who he was, but besides that, he was having immense fun.  The pup had chewed his appa’s tail softly for a while and then proceed to sniff around the den while Junmyeon cleaned up.  He was especially content after having almost an hour long piggy back ride on Junmyeon around the territory.

 

Junmyeon headed back to the den for Sehun’s lunchtime feeding before heading out to eat with the other omegas and do some fruit and wildflower gathering for extra sustenance.  After Sehun had finished his feeding, Junmyeon shifted back to his human form, put on clothes, and took him in his arms before heading to the center of the territory where two omegas and a beta were already sitting there in their human forms preparing lunch.

 

 “Hey guys.  Yixing is out on his scheduled hunt so I thought I’d eat with you guys today,” Junmyeon said as he set Sehun down on the ground to explore some more.

 

“No problem.  I made way too much venison stew anyway and I would for it to go to waste,” the beta named Kyungsoo and main cook of the pack replied as he stared at Sehun who was currently focused on chasing his tail.

 

“How’s Sehun been doing?” asked Minseok, a fellow omega, Jongdae’s mate, and father to alpha pup Jongin.

 

“Oh, Sehun’s been doing well.  He’s currently teething up a storm, and I’ve been trying to get him to speak through the bond.  He doesn’t seem to want to say anything yet besides gurgles and whines, though.  When did Jongin start to say full words through the bond?” Junmyeon asked as he glanced at Sehun who had found a spot next to Minseok and was currently enjoying some soft petting from said omega.

 

“Well, Jongin was a little stubborn.  He didn’t start saying words through the bond until fifth and a half months,” recalls Minseok.  “And his first word was ‘bye-bye’, which was strange when he greeted everyone around the pack saying goodbye to them, but at least he knew how to properly say a full word.  Since then, he’s learned to say ‘appa’ to me and ‘daddy’ to Jongdae, so everything is all right now.”

 

Junmyeon turned his attention towards his son, watching as Sehun’s tongue lolled out of his mouth and at the affection given to him.  He moved in front of Sehun and got his son’s attention.

 

“Appa,” Junmyeon said while pointing at himself.  “Come on, Sehun, you can say it.  Appa.”

 

Sehun stared at his appa in-- hold on, was that a frown?

 

App- mphmmm, Sehun mumbled out to the delight of his appa and the other people around him.

 

He’s trying so hard!” Baekhyun, a loud but kind omega cooed as he reached out his hands to Sehun.

 

Sehun ambled on up to the outstretched hands and, giving a light sniff and to the long and elegant fingers, allowed himself to be picked up by the other omega.

 

“You’re so cute. Yes, you are!” Baekhyun said as Sehun stared at the loud person holding him. 

 

Sehun then wriggled and whined a little, wanting to be put down so he could explore more.  Baekhyun acquiesced, and Sehun’s next target was the beta who was now placing the finished stew with deer meat into lacquered wooden bowls with matching wooden spoons to match.  With little steps, the omega pup sat his tiny down in front of the beta.

 

“Hey there, Sehun, do you want some?” Kyungsoo asked as he glanced at Junmyeon for approval.  With a nod from Junmyeon and a mouthing of ‘Just a little’, the beta filled another bowl a quarter of the way with only the broth and set it down in front of the pup.

 

With the bowl set in front of him, Sehun made to stick his snout into the bowl but was stopped by Kyungsoo as he suddenly picked the bowl up and away from Sehun’s face.  At this, Sehun whined a little at not being able to eat the fantastic smelling food while everyone else was already starting to eat.

 

“Hold on, Sehun.  I’m sorry, but this is way too hot.  Let me blow on it for you,” Kyungsoo said as he scooped up a spoonful with another spoon and began blowing on it to cool down the simmering broth.

 

When Kyungsoo found the broth to be the correct temperature, he slowly put the spoon in front of Sehun and motioned for the pup to try it.  With a tentative of the spoon, Sehun made a happy bark at Kyungsoo and quickly drank the entire spoonful and barked for more.  Kyungsoo gave the pup a small smile and fed him while also taking spoonfuls of his meal in between.  This went on for the duration of their lunchtime. 

 

After everyone had finished their meal, Kyungsoo moved to gather the dirty dishes to clean in the stream.  However, Junmyeon stopped Kyungsoo and began to pick up the soiled dishes and utensils himself. 

 

“I’ll do the dishes, Kyungsoo.  You know, for feeding Sehun and making this meal by yourself,” Junmyeon reasoned.

 

“Are you sure?  It’s not a problem, I don’t need help with the dishes,” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“I’m sure,” Junmyeon said firmly as he turned away from the group and towards the stream.  “Come on, Sehun.”

 

“Oh, alright.  But I’ll come with you and keep Sehun away from the water,” Kyungsoo reasoned as he got up too and bid the two other omegas goodbye.

 

After the dishes were all cleaned and drying back at the center of the territory, Junmyeon held Sehun in his arms to do some food scourging and Kyungsoo left to shift into his russet wolf as he prepared to do the afternoon border patrol.  Junmyeon himself continued to carry Sehun and went over to the other two omegas who were gathering berries and wildflowers for extra roughage and fiber.  For the remainder of the day, the three omegas picked a plentiful amount of roughage to serve along with the meat that the alphas were gathering.

 

Even head alpha Kris made an appearance as he greeted the omegas while heading off to meet with the head alpha of the neighboring BTS pack and discuss any threats and changes in their territory over the past two weeks.  Sehun barked at the head alpha and Kris grinned back at Sehun and quickly patted his head before leaving into the forest.

 

The omegas were engrossed in chatting about their mates’ antics and left Sehun to play in a patch of grass while still keeping an eye on the pup.  Sehun had successfully gnawed on some grass and wanted to show appa how he could now bite through the grass.  But appa wasn’t looking at him!  Sehun barked a little, but was given nothing more than a quick glance before appa turned back to picking berries.  Sehun was displeased.

 

App-pwa.  Appa, Sehun said slowly but surely through the bond.

 

At this, the three omegas turned around, not believing their ears. 

 

“Did Sehun just speak?” Minseok asked.

 

“I think so,” Baekhyun replied, a smile spreading on his face as he nudged Junmyeon to go over to his son.

 

Junmyeon made his way to Sehun and took his pup into his arms.

 

“Hi, Sehunnie.  Can you say that again for appa?” Junmyeon asked, happiness evident in his voice.

 

Appa.  Appa.  Appa, Sehun repeated over and over as he wriggled out of Junmyeon’s hold to show him what he could do to the grass.

 

With Junmyeon’s gaze fixed on the pup, he watched as Sehun bite cleanly through the blades of grass to the cheers of the other omegas.

 

“Wow, Sehun’s teeth are developing well,” Minseok said in awe.

 

“Yeah, he gets that from Yixing,” Junmyeon said.  “Speaking of him, I’m sure that he and Chanyeol have come back from hunting by now.  We should head back.”

 

As the sun began to cast an even darker orange hue on the rest of the territory, the omegas headed to back to Kyungsoo who had began prepping the meat that both alphas had given him after returning about a half hour ago.  Junmyeon was holding Sehun in his arms again as the pup began nodding off and the pup attempted to keep his eyelids open.

 

“Hey, guys.  Look how much Yixing and Chanyeol caught!  I’ll need some help tomorrow in smoking these for safe storage.  I don’t want any of this meat to go to waste,” Kyungsoo said as he graciously accepted the berries and wildflowers in a large wicker basket from Baekhyun.

 

“No problem, Kyungsoo.  I think we’ll all be helping out tomorrow,” Baekhyun replied.

 

“Oh, by the way, your mates are all resting in the dens right now.  I’m pretty sure Jongin wants to see his appa after spending a full day with his daddy Jongdae.  And I know for a fact that Yixing wants to see Sehun,” Kyungsoo said as he saw Chanyeol making his way towards them.  “And, oh look who’s here.”

 

Chanyeol came out from his den and took Baekhyun into his arms, embracing his omega.

 

“I’ll be enjoying some time with Baekkie before dinner,” Chanyeol said before leading them back to his den.

 

“I guess we’ll be heading back to our mates too,” Minseok said.

 

“Yeah, but are you sure you don’t need help with dinner?  I’m sure preparing dinner for 10 people is a lot of work,” Junmyeon said.

 

“I’ll be helping Kyungsoo tonight,” Kris said from behind the three werewolves.

 

“Oh, sure.  Yeah, you guys can relax a little with your mates before dinner.  I‘ll have Kris helping me, so you don’t have to worry about me doing too much,” Kyungsoo reasoned.

 

“Alright.  We’ll leave you two to prepare dinner.  Call if you need though,” Minseok said as he made his way back to his den to see his own puppy and mate.

 

Junmyeon held the now dozing Sehun in his arms and quietly walked into his den.  Yixing was there in his human form strumming his guitar.  It was purchased a long time ago during a trip to the city when the pack was much smaller and Junmyeon and Yixing had yet to mate.  It was a deep mahogany and orange hue, and was a very well loved instrument.  Yixing loved to take care of the strings and always had a well broken in pick on hand just in case he didn’t want to strum with his fingers.

 

“Hey, Myeonnie.  How was Sehun?” Yixing asked as his mate placed Sehun onto his furs.

 

“Oh, honey.  Sehun finally said his first word today!  He said ‘appa’,” Junmyeon said, beaming widely at his alpha mate.

 

“Really?  I wish I was there to witness this,” Yixing said, pouting slightly as he put his guitar away into its designated case and moving to stand in front of his mate.

 

At this news, Sehun awoke slowly.

 

Ap--. Appa, Sehun said through the bond as he groggily looked at his two parents.

 

Yixing’s eyes widened comically as he stared at his son.  Sehun was growing up so fast.  Junmyeon grinned as he stared at Sehun who was now making his way towards his parents.

 

“Sehunnie, I’m so proud of you!” Yixing exclaimed as he embraced his son into a hug.

 

Sehun his daddy’s face and barked happily at Yixing’s touch.  

 

The family began to attack Sehun with light kisses to his muzzle and was only broken apart when the head alpha peeked in to tell them that dinner was ready.

 

That night, with Sehun repeating ‘Appa’ as Junmyeon fed him small bits of soft meat and berries, the rest of the pack was told (or heard) the good news that Sehun had learned his first word.  At this news, the rest of the pack congratulated the couple.

 

Towards the end of the meal, Baekhyun and Chanyeol cleaned up as it was their turn to wash the dishes.  The pack dispersed to mingle in the open of the territory while Kris decided to flirt with Kyungsoo.  Junmyeon and Yixing decided to retire back to their den early.  As Junmyeon picked up Sehun, Jongin suddenly dashed away from between his parents Jongdae and Minseok and stood in front of Junmyeon, his gaze focused on the white pup in his arms.  With a determined bark, Jongin pawed carefully at Junmyeon’s legs. 

 

Sehun squirmed in his appa’s hold, wanting to interact with the other pup.  Junmyeon set his son down, and Sehun sat his puppy down in front of Jongin.  Yixing watched in horror as Jongin rubbed noses with his precious son and Sehun flicked his small tongue out to at Jongin’s muzzle. 

 

Jongdae and Minseok chuckled.  However, displeased at this contact, Yixing quickly swooped down and pulled Sehun away from the alpha puppy.  The audacity of that alpha pup!  He quickly muttered out a goodbye to Jongin’s parents before briskly making his way back to their den.  Junmyeon was behind his alpha mate, rolling his eyes and thinking about how cute of a couple his son and Jongin would be in future.  He had long since accepted that the other puppy liked Sehun.  However, he wasn’t going to tell his mate about this reality just yet.  Maybe in a few years.  Yeah.  That sounds good.

 

That night, Yixing tried to get Sehun to say ‘daddy’ or even ‘dada’.  He couldn’t believe that everyone in the pack was condoning this relationship before Sehun was even able to walk long distances and say more than just ‘Appa’.

 

“Dada, Sehunnie.  Can you say that for me? Dada.” Yixing urged.

 

Sehun simply looked at his daddy from his comfy bed of furs in confusion.  For some reason his appa and daddy really wanted to identify themselves over and over, which was a little irritating.  The pup simply glanced at his daddy.

 

Da, Sehun said simply through the bond before burrowing into his furs and shutting his eyes.

 

Pleased with the progress made, Yixing kissed his son and made his way over to his shared bed with his mate.  The alpha drifted off to sleep while thinking of ways to protect Sehun from just Jongin incurred threats.  Maybe a dog carrier?  Yes, that would work for now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

AN: I'm back, guys!  Summer classes are basically done for me, and I only need to hand in two more papers and I'm done (for the rest of summer)!  It was a lot of work and I'm glad that it's over.  So, this chapter was fun to write.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to fit Luhan and Tao into this story, but that doesn't mean I don't love them!  Some more Seho, Sesoo, and Sekai moments were sprinkled throughout this chapter.  And of course, I couldn't forget overprotective Yixing!  I hope you guys enjoyed it!  Having Sehun's first word be "Appa" seems too perfect.  A special shoutout to sammiko711 for the idea of Sehun first speaking through the bond!  If you guys have any ideas on what you want to see written, definitely leave a suggestion in the comments!  Any ideas are appreciated because I have only have a few more chapters planned out.  And furthermore, I know that human babies don't start talking until over 1 year of age, but if you research wolf pup development, they actually mature really fast.  It's very fascinating.  I don't think it's a stretch to say that wolf pups can hypothetically "speak" with their parents at such an early age (http://www.wolf.org/wolf-info/basic-wolf-info/biology-and-behavior/pup-development/).  I'm sorry to zeelei that I couldn't fit in Chansoo or Baekchen in as Jongin's parents.  I just love Xiuchen so much and the thought of having a short beta and omega making a tall alpha seems so cool.  Also, I'm Xiuchen trash (as seen by my 2nd story on AFF; oops sorry shameless advertising).  If you guys have any general remarks or reactions to this chapter, totally leave a comment!  I always try to respond to comments as I think it helps me become closer to my readers.  Also, Koko Bop!  The MV teaser sounds and looks amazing!  I'm sad about Lay not being a part of this comeback, though.  Well, this note is getting way too long.  Thank you so much for reading!  I'll see you guys in the next update!