Steal

For Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Steal

Description: Living alone all on your own can be rough especially when the creeping loneliness makes you want to give up. But what if a certain unexpected someone makes an entry out of the blue and brings life into the walls and laughter into the couches every day?

Author's note: It's so lighthearted sometimes I melt re-reading it too haha.

 

Either it’s actually really quiet where I live, or maybe I’m still not used to it yet. I hate silence. It’s also very dark, but then again it’s past midnight now that I’m returning from work. My shift had ended at nine, but I decided to eat out today. Which ended up in three hours of nonsensical strolling around because I couldn’t really bring myself to do so. I’m not used to anything I suppose. 

Living alone for six years, and I still hate living alone. 

 

The street was empty safe for a few children playing by and I can’t understand what game could be played when you can see nothing, not even your shadow. But they’re children, and they know a lot more than adults. And I’m an adult, and I know a lot too. But when it comes to sleeping alone in that room with no one to talk to about random things at this time I wish I could have that knowledge they have - to believe in magic. I would then make up fairies in my head and chat with them. In the evening on weekends I would hold a tea party with the elves.

If only.

I’m doomed to solitude.

 

When I finally reached my door, it was even quieter. My neighbors are either never home, or sound asleep. I wish I lived in one of those sororities which held house parties and there was music and dancing and drinking. But I’m not even a college student anymore, I left that place a long ago. I’m a grown up woman in my late twenties and I live alone away from my parents and I don’t have any (single) friends. All are married except for me. So I sulk everyday when I wake up to zero good morning messages and at night I enjoy myself a cup of ice cream and some old classic playing on a random channel.

That’s how life goes on and on and on and I fear dying like this some day. I did have a nightmare like that.

 

When I finally managed to come inside (surprisingly the door was open but I sure had locked it in the morning), the very first thing I saw was someone standing in my kitchen, the fridge wide open and all its contents on the table, and the other in his hands as his cheeks were puffed. He gulped them down quick and knitted his brows together.

“Don’t move or I’ll do something!” he warned me. Great. Somebody threatening me inside my own house. I took a step and he went stiff and raised his brows. “I said don’t move! I’m telling you I’ll do something!”

I rolled my eyes and sighed. “Eat whatever you want. Just make sure to clean it up.”

He blinked. I just stared at him with a poker face. He blinked more at my allowance for him to apparently rob my fridge (if that’s a term?).

“Can I?” he asked.  I sighed again and headed for my bedroom.

 

 

 

When I came back out after changing into my night clothes, he was still there and now he had this smile on his face while he was munching my sandwiches. He waved at me as I passed by and I just ignored him.

Gone with the wind was playing. What better to watch? I made myself comfortable in my couch, tugging in a pillow between my legs and raised the volume. It was exact ten minutes later he came back and stood next to me with a short smile. Then he rocked back and forth like a kid.

“Spill it.” I said at last.

“Uh…I’m still hungry.”

I passed him a so done look and sighed. Then I got up and headed towards the kitchen because I hadn’t eaten anything for dinner either. As I was making us some omelettes in the early dark hours of morning, he was observing me interestingly.

“So…you’re chill with this?” he asked when we were at the table. I shrugged.

“Yeah I think?” I replied. There was this little silence which I hated. There was finally someone in my house and it was quiet and I seriously hated that so I tried to keep up the conversation. “But why of all things were you stealing food?” I asked.

“Because I was hungry?” he shrugged this time.

“Yes that’s obvious but you just finished my whole fridge. That was a whole month’s supply.” I raised a brow. He looked around shyly, as if thinking about telling me or not.

“I’m…homeless.” He admitted.

“A hobo?”

“Yes. I beg around.” He looked away. I don’t mind beggars. There’s also nothing wrong with being homeless. I did’t want him to feel like which I think he was.

“You’re pretty good looking to be a beggar.” I said and a corner of his lips perked up.

“Am I?” he asked and I shrugged again.

He is. He’s beautiful. He has a baby like face that’s also edgy and his eyes are the best part of it. They’re sparkly and speak a lot more than he does. And he’s got a piercing in his right ear that makes him look tough but his hidden little smile contrasts that. And his hair, his brown and fluffy hair is making me want to run my fingers through it. His face is dirty, his clothes ragged and he’s a mess in general but yet he doesn’t look so broken either. He seems fine, except his bony figure does tell me he’s not eaten in ages. Overall, he’s very good looking. Like a mix of marshmallows with dark chocolate.

“What’s your name?” I asked.

“Luhan.”

“Where do you stay?”

“By the mart.”

“You said you were homeless.”

He looked up, like he knew this would happen. “By the mart as in…actually by the mart.”

I raised a brow because it still didn’t make sense.

“The backside of the mart, that’s where I sleep.”

“So you wander around all day and sleep by that alley during night? That’s how you live?” I asked and he nodded “and steal food?”

“Not everyone is so chill with it like you.” He smiled at my mention.

I just stared at him when I was finished with my food. It looked like he still wanted more to eat. I clasped my fingers together and rested my chin on them.

“What would you do now?” I asked.

“Go back.”

“To the mart?”

“Yeah. Where else at this time of the night?” he asked by raising his fork.

“You can live here with me.”

He looked up, eyes wide and mouth paused from chewing. He wanted to say something, but his stuffed mouth wouldn’t let him open up.

“For absolutely free. There’s an extra room.”

I don’t know what I’m saying either.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

We’ve been living togethe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter