[I]

PHILOPHOBIA (hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  chapter I "You can't love, you're afraid of it." ——Mother

"Miss Ae Jeong, it's time to get up."A maid called to the sleeping female. Aejeong blinked and sat up, rubbing her eyes. She stared at the maid longer than she should have, making the maid slightly uncomfortable. The maid, nervously cleared and looked away, not liking the attention she was getting. "It's 6:20am, you have 20 minutes to get ready for school."She said. 'right... school.' Ae Jeong sighed, nodding, and stretched her arms a bit. She puts her legs over the side and stands up. 

 

As soon as Aejeong got off of the bed, the maid hurriedly began to make the bed. Aejeong walks over to the closet to take out her uniform. She slips on the bold plaid skirt that had a mix of red and black and her uniform blouse which was a regular plain white button up with a red tie to represent the school colors. 'Just one more year..'she thought to herself, combing her hair with her fingers.

 

Another maid barges into the room, "Miss, your Father and Mother demand your presence in the office." Aejeong sighs and rolls her eyes. She turns her head torwards the maid, glaring at her."What for?" She asks, her voice monotone but scary. She was tired of her parents, treating her like dirt.

 

 "They wouldn't say," the maid responds, looking away from Aejeong's piercing gaze. She takes a breath and nods, slipping on her socks. She makes sure to take her time. Aejeong didn't have time for people like her parents. They could care less about her. To them, she was just a pawn in their chess game. Just an asset for improving their business. She makes her way out to the hallway, heading to her father's office. 

 

She bursts through the door, not caring to knock. "Woman, how many times have I told you to knock!"Her fathers booming voice sounds. She rolls her eyes and takes a chair in front of his desk.  Her mother was sitting on his desk on the opposite side, with a wine glass in between her fingers. 

 

"What do you want?" She says, bluntly and glares at her parents. "Don't speak with that tone, young lady."Her father returns her glare with a much more frightening one. Immediately, she straighten up and nod, tense. She had learn better than to go against him when he was merciless. She had suffered plenty of times as a child. "We think it's high time we find you a suitor." Her father says. "What!?"Aejeong yells. "A suitor. Don't make me repeat myself again!"Her Father says, sternly.

 

 "But.. But why? I'm too young for marriage!"She says, looking at them in disbelief. "Now listen here, when I was young,  I was arranged with your father at the age of 14." Her mother says, twirling the glass of wine in her hand. "B-but.. I want to marry someone I choose... Someone who I love, not for money.." Aejeong tries to reason. At this, her parents start to laugh.

 

"Oh, please! Of all people, what would you know about love? You can't love, you're afraid of it."her mother taunts, a smirk on her face. 

 

That's right, Kim Ae Jeong had a fear of love. Philophobia, that's what it's called.

 

Since she was a baby, her parents had never shown her love. Her parents weren't even the ones to name her. She never knew who it was but she was sure it wasn't them. Why you ask? Because her name means love. It's ironic, really. Ae Jeong meant love. But Aejeong couldn't love. For she didn't know how. 

 

 It's hard to explain really. She's just scared to love. It's so simple yet so complicated.

 

 

Tears started to well up in Aejeong's eyes but she refused to let them out. She refused to let them win. 

 

Her mother rests her chin on her hand, looking out in thought. "...Fine. If you want it your way... In a few weeks, we will host a party, you will find a suitable man. If not, we will choose for you," Her mother says, taking a sip of her wine. "But--!"Aejeong began to protest. "No buts. If you want it your way, you have to come to an ageement with ours."She looks at Aejeong expectantly. She was silent, looking at anywhere except for her parents.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter