Chapter 5: Bread Talk

Is being pretty everything?

 

Shin Hee entered her quiet home that she hated to come back from everyday.
She missed seeing her dad who was so welcoming and loving, he would always have a cooked meal at the table and would eat outside on the patio and Shin Hee would tell her day of school.

But when it came to her mom… It was always different. She’d be lucky enough to even have a note saying she left. Shin Hee was used to it before though,

 

When she was overweight, she was used to being along and her mom would go off to do her “job”. Her mom would leave tons of cash and Shin Hee would mostly spend the cash for her to eat all day.

Because Shin Hee was lonely, food was the only thing she could escape to. The bad memories of her and her mother, the divorce, and the countless beatings from her mom’s boyfriend, would all erase once se took a bite off of something.

 

Food at the time was her only escape.

 

 

 

Shin Hee kicked off her shoes and heard a clatter noise coming from the kitchen, she thought she was alone, but it seemed someone was home also.

 

Shin Hee walked into the kitchen and saw her mom and her boyfriend happily drinking champagne.

 

“U-Umma?”

Her mother turned around,
“Oh Shin Hee dear…. Y-You’re home?”
Her mother asked looking dizzy.

 

“Why is the twerp home?” Her mom’s boyfriend asked,

 

Shin Hee clenched her fist and bit her lip just looking at the sight. She hated seeing her mom’s boyfriend; he was the lowest of the lowest scum to ever walk on the planet.

 

Worse than the Queenkas or Infinite, He would sometimes beat her mother when he was drunk and angry, Once he was so drunk her mom wasn’t home and he threw a beer bottle at Shin Hee’s back. The scar was there, but she’d hide it from anyone.

 

“Hey… The twerp Ghawwwt…. Ski----iinieerrr…..” He spoke fully drunk.

 

“You two are drunk again…” Shin Hee mumbled.

 

“Yah, be a dear and go out will you? Could you come back at around ten pmish?”
Her mom asked,

 

“W-Wae? I just got back on my first day of school----“

 

“YAH YOU ! LISTEN TO YOUR MOM!” Her boyfriend shouted,

 

Shin Hee closed and saw her mom who was just sitting, not even standing up to protect her daughter.

 

Shin Hee was used to that pain also….

 

“This isn’t even your home…” Shin Hee whispered,

 

“What you brat!?” Yoochun shouted,

 

“Hon, d-don’t yell, it was a long day for her.” Shin Hee’s mom tried to reason,

 

Her boyfriend stood up, barely, and walked over to Shin Hee,
“You brat…. You’re just like your mom…. Useless and trashy….”
He whispered so low, her mom couldn’t hear.

 

Shin Hee’s eyes flared and Shin Hee slapped him straight across the face.
“Don’t you dare say that!”

 

“SHIN HEE!” Her mom yelled and pushed her away from Yoochun,

 

“Babe! Are you okay?” Her mom asked as she was observing her boyfriend’s face,

 

Yoochun threw the bottle of their champagne to the floor,
“Does it look like I’m okay!?HUH!? She touched my beautiful face with her trashy hands!”

 

Shin Hee’s mom shot an evil eye at her daughter and slapped her,
“Why are you slapping huh?! Walking around and slapping people like you’re the center everything!?”

 

“This guy isn’t even worth it Umma! Why are you like this!?”

Shin Hee cried out with tears coming out of her eyes and felt the sting from the slap on her cheek.

 

 

The two were silent and it didn’t take Shin Hee long enough to grab her bag and walk out of the door.

 


 

 

 

 

It was already nine thirty two pm, Shin Hee was still walking around the streets. She didn’t want to come back home. Everyday was the same thing, her mom’s boyfriend always harasses her and her mom would hit her every time she was acting “disrespectful”.

 

 

Shin Hee was sick of the same routine. She came back to Seoul only two days ago and things already looked down on her. Nothing felt right and in place. She started her first day of school embarrassing herself, becoming a mascot, embarrassing herself in front of her crush, and she already got hit. Especially on the first day of school too.

 

 

“ Aish… What should I do… I don’t wanna go home though…”
Shin Hee mumbled as she kicked a can around the street,

 

She never got to eat lunch or breakfast also. She was starving.
Diets were diet, but that didn’t mean she should stop eating…

 


Shin Hee soon stopped by at a bakery shop and drooled over the breads that looked like they were fresh baked.

“Otokeh…. I left my credit card at home and I don’t have cash with me….”
Shin Hee pouted, her stomach growled on cue, and she clenched her tummy.

 

“Aigooo…. I should find a place to sleep…” Shin Hee said to herself and walked off, leaving the bakery.

 

 

After a long walk around Seoul, Shin Hee managed to find a place to use as shelter, or at least hide out from her mom. It was a small igloo in the middle of the park, but Shin Hee was small and skinny enough to fit.

 

“Aish….. So uncomfortable….” Shin Hee mumbled to herself.

 

She looked around and saw how cramped it was in here.
“Am I really going to sleep here?”

 

 

A loud knock suddenly came, someone was knocking outside of the igloo.

 


 

L decided to buy some delicious baked bread for him, his grandma, and little sister, after coming back from school. He didn’t buy them a lot of things, but since it was his little sister’s birthday, he decided to buy something for her at least.

 

 

“That will be t-twenty…” The pretty cashier stuttered,

 

 

“Aww…. Well I only have a ten----“

“THAT’S OKAY! WORKS TOO!” The cashier yelled and snatched the ten from L.

 


L smirked and grabbed the bag of fresh baked bread,
“Kamsamidah” He thanked the cashier and walked off as she was gazing at L’s perfect face. He came out of the store all happy,
“Wow, girls do give you everything if you’re good looking, how shallow…”

 

 

He looked up and saw a familiar face out of the bread shop;
it was Shin Hee drooling over the breads and her stomach growling loudly.

 

 

 

“Aigoo…. I should find a place to sleep…” Shin Hee pouted and walked off.

 

L tilted his head,
“Hm? She needs a place to stay?” He said to himself and followed her from behind.

 

 

 

 

Shin Hee and L walked towards the park and Shin Hee set her eyes locked onto the playground’s igloo.

 

“Don’t tell me…”

 

“Wah! Shelter!” Shin Hee smiled and ran up to the igloo.


“What the heck is wrong with this girl? Doesn’t she have a place to STAY!”

 

L followed her from behind and saw Shin Hee crawl to get inside the igloo.

As she crawled, you could see as she was bending, her Polk-a-dotted , showing.

 

L smiled and walked in front of the igloo as Shin Hee was squished inside it.

“Am I really going to sleep here?” He heard Shin Hee say to herself.



“Is she homeless or something?” L asked himself.

L knocked on the igloo lightly and it shook from Shin Hee’s surprise.

 

Shin Hee came out of the igloo with her head sticking out of the entrance.
Looking to see who it was, she saw L.

 

“………………….. L?” She asked,

 

“Oi, what are you doing in here?” L asked,

 

 

Shin Hee pouted,
“Don’t you see? This is my new home!”
Shin Hee smiled,

 

“Yah, quit lying, did you run away or something?”

 

“Why do you care?” Shin Hee questioned,

 

“I don’t…”

 

“Then why are you here?”

 

“On second thought….  Why am I? I should be going home and giving bread to them.” L reminded himself and walked off.

 

“W-WAIT!!!!”
Shin Hee yelled,

 

“What?”

 

“Y-You have bread?” Shin Hee asked,

 

 

“Neh.” L revealed the bag.

 

Shin Hee her lips and could smell the chocolate aroma scent from the igloo. The deceiving taste made her wanna pull her hair out and scream,

 

 

 

“Why? You want one?”

 

“A-Ani!”

 

“Good, cause I won’t give you one anyway!”

 

“Y-Yah! You jerk-----“

 


A sudden crash of thunder came from the sky. It startled Shin Hee more than L and the weather suddenly changed to rain. The clouds were pouring in on them.

 

“Aish!” L yelled,

 

“Y-Yah! It’s raining pabo! Get in!”

“Inside that smelly playground toy!? PUH lease~”

 

“Yah! You wanna walk back in the pouring rain and loud thunder?!”

L saw that she did have a point. He hated being sick and didn’t like rain too much.
So he decided to take the offer and share the igloo with Shin Hee.

 

“Araso, scoot over!” L yelled and crawled inside the igloo with her.

 

 

“Aigoo!!! You’re too big!” Shin Hee yelled,

 

“ ME!? Look at you!”

 

“Hey! I’m skinny okay?”

 

“Yeah right, it was obvious you used to be a fat child, looking at your baby fat cheeks!”

 

“YAH! You wanna die!?”

 

All of a sudden, Sin Hee’s stomach echoed through the igloo, making Shin Hee blush,

 

“Pft, someone hungry?” L asked,

 

“A-Ani!”

 

“Bet you want some delicious bread huh?”

 

“Are you trying to make me angry!?”

 

“You can have one…”

 

“REALLY!?”

 

“Yeah, if you do the ma boy dance again~” L stuck his tongue out.

 

“YOU JERK!” Shin Hee yelled and punched him in the arm.

 

 

The two were laughing at each other’s teasing, but suddenly realized how close and squished they were in the igloo. L’s body was rubbed up against Shin Hee’s, you could feel his warm air breathing on Shin Hee’s neck.

 

It got suddenly awkward once the two realized how close they were to each other. Even L had a ticklish feeling in his chest that couldn’t be explained.

 

“Hey…” L said,

 

“Y-Yeah?”

 

“Have you ever… been to Seoul before? I mean, before you moved. Have you lived here before?”

 

“U-Uh, No. I lived in America the whole time.”

 

“Are you sure? As a pre teen or at least a kid?”

 

“Nope, lived America all my life.” Shin Hee tried to smile.

 

“Hm….. You remind me of someone…. But I can’t remember who…”
L said and stared at her face,

 

“Oh do I?”

 

“MMmmmmnnn…… Have you… Ever heard of a girl name Shin Hee?”

 

“Who?” Shin Hee lied,

 

L laughed and wondered why he thought of Shin Hee all of a sudden.

 

“She was this girl…. Who was obsessed with me.”


“Obsessed? How so?”

 

“Well, she’d always stick different kinds of candy in my desk and put love letters in my locker. Everyday she’d always stare at me during school, plus she

Would always get teased on for liking me, but she never stopped with the constant obsession of hers.”

 

Shin Hee bit her lip as sweat trickled down her head,
‘Was I that obvious?’ Shin Hee thought,

 

“Well what did you think of her?”

 

“Well… Annoying and obese….”

 

‘Ugh…. Still the same shallow jerk….’

“ But… If  I were to see her again. I think I would feel uneasy and I’d treat her better.”

 

“B-Better? How so? I thought you thought se was trouble some.”

 

“Well, I did something really bad to her back then. It was probably a little too far, but I didn’t want to be made fun of, so I told her to piss off and called her a fatty.”

 

“Little harsh, don’t you think?”

 

“Well… I know it was stupid… But what could I do? Accept her feelings? Pft, as if, she was an embarrassment enough… But I think if I were to see her again, I’d at least say sorry.”

 

“Really?”

 

 

“Well, if no one at school was looking. But that’s it, nothing else. I don’t wanna be involved with a fat girl like her.”

 

“Well, did you ever at least get a chance to get to know her?”

 

“Why would I?”

 

“Because, I can tell she really liked you!”

 

L was surprised how Shin Hee raised her voice suddenly,
“ Wh-what?”

 


“If a girl goes through that much pain and continued to like the boy in front of people, without caring what others thought, she then really…..Loves you….
You should’ve at least got to know her more….”

 

L did feel a slight pain in his chest, but he shook it off.
“But… I wouldn’t have liked her even if I got to know her---“

 

 

“Because she was fat?”

L was silent and couldn’t look at her in the eyes for some reason….
He didn’t think that Shin Hee would be so emotional about this, tears were already leaking through her eyes.

 

A long silence came and L suddenly realized the rain stopped.

 

“Oh, is it clear out?” L said to himself and crawled out of the igloo.

 

 

 

The skies were finally clear and no sign of rain and thunder showed, everything seemed to be fine.

 

“Uh…. I should be getting home.”

 

“Go.” Shin Hee said, not looking at L,

 

 

“Yah, are you still angry? Why do you care so much?”

 

“Why wouldn’t you!? How could you be so shallow!?”
Shin hee yelled,

 

“Yah! Why are you yelling at me!?”

 

“Never mind! Just please leave! I don’t feel like seeing your face anymore!”

 

 

L seemed like he really hurt her. Even though it had nothing to do with her.
However, he wondered why it mattered so much, he didn’t mean to hurt her in any way. He thought she was just being dramatic about it.

 

“Are you really going to sleep here?”

 

“Please go….”

 

 

L grabbed the bread from the plastic bag and placed three rolls of baked chocolate bread next to the igloo.

 

 

 

“Eat it at least…. You’re too skinny.”
L said and walked off.

 

Shin Hee stared at the bread next to her,
“Why didn’t you stand up to me L…. Was it cause of my looks? Me being fat embarrassed you that much?

 

Is being pretty everything?” Shin Hee asked as a tear rolled down her cheek.