Chapter 6: The Surprise

I Should Watch Where I'm Going

Saturday morning. The sun's shining bright on the blue sky, even though it was still quite early. A cup of hot coffee. A tired, but overly excited Sungmin sitting at the kitchen table, sipping on the coffee. He had had some trouble falling asleep last night due to his nervousness about this Saturday and the meeting with Kyuhyun. He had then given up on trying to sleep for some time, and used the time by copying Hyukjae's notes instead. Copying chemistry notes worked like magic, and after he was done with them, he was so tired that it was way easier to fall asleep.

Now, it was 9AM and Sungmin's nervousness had made a comeback. He had so many questions going through his mind. Where was Kyuhyun going to take him? What were they going to do? Did Kyuhyun really enjoy Sungmin's company? Why would he want to hang out with someone like Sungmin? Would Kyuhyun be as nervous as him? Why must he be so cute? Okay, forget that last one. Sungmin shook his head aggressively, trying to get rid of such thoughts. Suddenly, another thought came to his mind. What was he going to wear?? Something nice, of course, but nothing too nice you know? Sungmin finished his simple breakfast of some toast and the coffee, and went to his bedroom.

He opened the closet, and looked through its contents. He pulled out some dark coloured jeans and a white t-shirt with a slight v-neck. He pouted. This won't do. He looked in his closet again for something to make the outfit work. Ha! He pulled out a flanel shirt with a red pattern. This was better, not too fancy but not too casual either. He nodded to himself in approval, and glanced at the clock on his wall. It was only slowly getting to 10AM, and he had promised to meet Kyuhyun at 1PM. What was he going to do the rest of the time? It would only take him 30 minutes maximum to walk to the school, where he had promised to meet Kyuhyun. He thought about it for a while. Then he just decided to take a shower and do something to his hair after that, both to kill time and to look nice. He did want to look unusually nice today, for some reason.

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~

After the shower and having a full world war III with his hair, Sungmin sat down on his bed and scrolled through his phone to kill time. It was now noon, and the sun had risen high, shining through Sungmin's window, lighting up the room. Sungmin was glad the weather seemed nice today. He most definitely wouldn't want it to rain. Not today. 

He thought about Kyuhyun. Thinking about him always made a small smile rise on his face, but he wasn't usually aware of it. He thought about Kyuhyun's smile, which was always either a goofy grin or a cunning smirk, and his eyes which almost always looked like they were sparkling, with a mischievous glint in them. His hair, which looked like the softest thing on Earth and Sungmin couldn't shake off the thought of wanting to touch it, for real and not with just a towel like he had done at the pool. A small doubt, whether his feelings for Kyuhyun were only platonic, had started to rise in his mind, but he always tried his best to supress and ignore it. He had a new friend and he was happy about it. That's all. 

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~

Sungmin was walking towards the school, and he felt like a nervous wreck. Why was he acting like this?? This was getting ridiculous. 

He saw the school building, and couldn't make up his mind whether to speed up or slow down his pace in walking. He ended up doing neither, and walked to the school at his regular pace, but the closer he got to the school yard, the more hesitant his steps were getting. Soon, he got to the yard and glanced around. He didn't see Kyuhyun yet. He looked at his watch. It wasn't 1PM quite yet, so he thought Kyuhyun would be there any minute. It didn't take long until..

"SUNGMINNIE!" a gleeful voice shouted. Sungmin turned around to face the source of the voice, and it was no other than Kyuhyun himself. Well, who else could it have been, considering the use of the nickname. Sungmin smiled and waved at Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun did the same and walked up to Sungmin, grinning. Sungmin's heart felt like it skipped a beat or two.

"Hi!" Kyuhyun said when he reached Sungmin. Sungmin looked at him in awe. He thought Kyuhyun looked amazing. Black jeans paired up with a dark-ish green jacket and a striped, white shirt underneath. His face and hair were quite literally shining in the sunlight. Sungmin had to use all his mental strength to get even one word out of his mouth. 

"H-hi."

Kyuhyun just grinned at him, as per usual, and didn't seem to care about (or notice) Sungmin's freezing. 

"Shall we go?" he asked. Sungmin nodded.

"O-okay. Where are we going?" Sungmin asked.

"It's a surprise, I told you! You'll see when we get there." Kyuhyun smirked. Sungmin pouted a little, but nodded. 

"Okay"

"Hope you don't mind a little walking though!"

They walked side by side, and from time to time Sungmin couldn't help his gaze falling to their hands hanging between them, and he had to seriously fight the urge to touch Kyuhyun's hand with his own. Kyuhyun tried to keep up a conversation between them by talking about this and that from school stuff to good movies and then to hobbies. 

"I think I once mentioned that I enjoy playing video games. But I don't remember you telling me about your hobbies. Do you have any?" Kyuhyun said.

"I do martial arts" Sungmin said slowly. Kyuhyun's eyes widened. 

"Really?? Woah. That's so cool though" he said, seeming excited. Sungmin couldn't help a little smile rising up to his face when Kyuhyun started bombing him with a million questions about his hobby with a fascinated expression on his face the entire time. After walking for what must have been a half an hour or so, Kyuhyun stopped. 

"We are here!" He exclaimed. They were in front of a tall building, and Sungmin was confused. What were they going to do here? He didn't have time to wonder about it for very long though, since Kyuhyun grabbed him by hand and they went inside. They climbed up some stairs, until Kyuhyun stopped in front of a door and rang the doorbell. He let go of Sungmin's hand, to Sungmin's disappointment. Soon the door was opened by a handsome young man, who was probably in his early twenties. The man had black hair and pretty brown eyes. He smiled after seeing who rang the doorbell.

"Kyuhyun! Long time no see" he said with a smile.

"Hi hyung" said Kyuhyun. 

"I called you that I was coming here, remember? With a friend?" he continued. Kyuhyun's hyung grinned.

"Of course I remember you idiot. Are you not going to introduce me to your friend?" he said.

"Oh, right. Hyung, this is my friend, Sungmin. Sungmin, this is my older brother, Jonghoon." Kyuhyun introduced the two. Jonghoon offered his hand out for a handshake, and Sungmin took it. 

"Nice to meet you, Sungmin. I'm Kyuhyun's brother, Jonghoon, but my friends call me Yesung, you can call me whichever." Jonghoon said with a warm smile. Sungmin smiled back.

"Nice to meet you too."

"Now, c'mon in. Don't just stand there in the hallway" Jonghoon invited and moved away from the door, inside the apartment, thus letting the two in. Kyuhyun obliged, and Sungmin followed the example. Jonghoon's apartment was kind of small, but looked really nice and cozy. He had a living room, combined with a small kitchen, and he seemed to have a separate bedroom. The decor was mostly white and gray. Before Sungmin could start wondering, why they were there, Kyuhyun started talking. 

"So hyung, the thing I talked to you about on the phone..?" An expression of understanding spread itself on Jonghoon's face.

"Ah, right. This way." he then walked around the corner to the living room, and Sungmin could see a cage in there. He frowned. What? He followed Jonghoon and Kyuhyun to the cage anyway, and what he saw there made his heart melt.

"Oh!" A small sound of delight escaped his lips. The cage was full of tiny bunnies! Sungmin couldn't believe his eyes. They were so small and fluffy! He looked at Kyuhyun who scratched his neck.

"Uh, you told me you liked bunnies, so.." he explained a little awkwardly, apparently losing the previous confidence. Jonghoon smiled a little at the sudden change in his little brother. Then he turned to Sungmin.

"Yeah, I have these little guys for a while now, they belong to a friend but my friend is not in town right now so I'm taking care of them in their place." Jonghoon explained. Sungmin nodded.

"Oh, okay. They're so cute though!" he said.

"Do you want to pet them?" Jonghoon asked.

Sungmin couldn't believe his luck. 

"Oh my God, could I? If it's not too much a bother.." 

"Oh no, it's no bother at all! Come here" Jonghoon convinced him, and opened the cage, taking one of the tiny, fuzzy beings out. He then sat on the floor, and Sungmin (and Kyuhyun) followed his example. Jonghoon placed the small bunny gently on Sungmin's lap, and he didn't even remember the last time he had been this happy. The tiny animal felt so warm and fluffy to touch, Sungmin couldn't believe it. He made a note in his mind to thank Kyuhyun later about this.

All three of the guys continued to pet the small bunnies (and admiring Jonghoon's two turtles who were just roaming around in their tank) for quite some time before Kyuhyun and Sungmin decided that it was time to leave. Sungmin didn't really want to leave the bunnies, but no can do, they had to go home too. They said goodbye to Jonghoon, and headed back to the school. When they were walking, Kyuhyun's hand brushed against Sungmin's own, and it made Sungmin's heart skip yet another beat. After getting himself together again Sungmin cleared his throat and decided to speak his mind.

"Uh.. I had a really great time today. I had so much fun. So.. Thank you." he said, meaning every single word, even if they came out a little clumsily. This seemed to have caught Kyuhyun a bit off guard, since a slight blush could be seen to have risen on his face. 

"Oh! Oh.. uh.. It's no problem, really, I had fun too." He said. Sungmin smiled at him and he smiled back. They walked the rest of the way, side by side, both minds buzzing with joy and excitement about that day. When they reached the school, they stopped for a minute. This time Kyuhyun cleared his throat. 

"Um.. Would you like to do something with me again..? Some time?" he asked, obviously a little nervous, which seemed really out of character to him. To Sungmin he looked adorable. He smiled.

"I'd love that."

Kyuhyun smiled in relief, and Sungmin felt warmth radiating from his chest to all over his body. They looked at one another in the eyes in silence with small smiles on their faces for a good few seconds before they finally bid goodbye, promising to text each other again, and they both headed home, bouncing happily on their steps. 

 

 

 

- Hello again lovelies ❤ I'm sorry this took so long, but here we are with another chapter! And I'm sorry if the ending seems off or rushed, my phone started to get really laggy so I had to stop writing 🙈 Anyway, thank you so much for subscribing, upvoting and commenting, it means the world to me ❤ I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I couldn't have done it without the help of my friend, xoxo thank you dear you're a lifesaver! Anywayyy, let's meet again on the next chapter guys! -