Chapter 5: Mission: Start!

I Should Watch Where I'm Going

It was Friday, and Sungmin was anxiously anticipating the following day and his meeting with Kyuhyun. 

"It's a date! Our Sungmin's got a date!" Donghae squaled at one point after Sungmin had told him and Ryeowook about his plans with Kyuhyun the following day of their exchange of texts.

"No it's not!!" Sungmin huffed, but couldn't quite keep the small voice in his head from saying the same thing as Donghae. 

Now, a few days later, he still couldn't get rid of the voice in his head, which kept saying his meeting with Kyuhyun was, in fact, a date. Sungmin frowned as he was walking on the school's hallway towards the next lesson. It's not a date, right? At least Kyuhyun didn't say it was. They're just going to spend some time together. As friends. Yes, that's it. Sungmin kept trying to reassure himself like this, but was torn out of his thoughts by the sound of the bell. He started running so he wouldn't be late on his next class.

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~

After the lesson it was time for lunch, and he met up with Donghae and Ryeowook so they could eat together as per usual. They found themselves a nice table and sat down with their lunches. It didn't take long until Sungmin could see Donghae's gaze wander off to search a certain blonde guy in the crowd of people. Sungmin looked at Ryeowook and they sighed in unison. They really have to do something about this, since this was getting really ridiculous. 

"Uhm.. Donghae?" Sungmin spoke up. Donghae quickly turned his gaze to his friends. 

"Huh? What?" He said, eyeing both of his friends. Did he miss something? 

"Are you ever going to actually, like, talk to the guy?" Ryeowook asked Donghae. The latter became bright red at his words. 

"H-how could I? He's so.. popular. And good-looking. And so.. different. From me." Donghae said quietly. Sungmin could barely hold himself back from rolling his eyes at his friend's explanation. 

"Donghae, you're most definitely as good as him, if not even better. And, you can never know, maybe he would like you if he knew you." He said to Donghae, meaning every word. Ryeowook nodded, agreeing.

"Hm.." was the only response they got from Donghae. 

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~

After lunch, Sungmin was thinking hard about how to help Donghae with his problem. Suddenly, he saw a familiar blonde hair and the same wide smile, apparently going through his locker. It was no one other than Hyukjae, who's also known as Eunhyuk. Sungmin couldn't believe his eyes for a good few seconds, and was cursing in his head because he had gone separate ways with Donghae and Ryeowook after leaving the cafeteria. He then decided to forget about his social awkwardness for a while to help out his friend. He took a deep breath and walked up to the blonde.

"Hi." He said, trying to hide his (obvious) nervousness. Hyukjae looked surprised to see him there, talking to him, but it didn't take long for him to smile at Sungmin. 

"Hi! Is there something I could help you with?" He asked Sungmin with a warm, friendly smile. Sungmin swallowed. He didn't think this through. What was he supposed to say?? 'Hi my name is Sungmin and my friend thinks you're smoking hot'??? Or 'Hello, do you happen to be single?'?? He was about to panic. Then he thought of something. He suddenly remembered that they're the same age, and that they've had some classes together.

"Yeah, uh.. I'm not sure if you know me, but my name is Sungmin and we go to the same Chemistry class. I wasn't able to attend one of the classes a few weeks ago, and I was wondering if you'd happen to have some notes from that class I could borrow and copy?" Sungmin praised himself inside his head for this idea. Now the blonde knows him, and that's a good start. Plus, he would get the notes he missed when ditching class with Kyuhyun. 

Hyukjae raised his eyebrows slightly at first but nodded then with a smile. Sungmin could see why Donghae was so attracted to the guy, even Sungmin had to admit that his wide, gummy smile was kind of cute.

"Sure thing! And I'm not sure if you know me, by name I mean, but my name's Hyukjae. You can call me Eunhyuk if you want, though" Hyukjae said, smiling genuinely. Sungmin smiled too. This guy sure was easily likeable. No wonder he was popular among other students. Sungmin watched Hyukjae going through his things and eventually finding the Chemistry notebook he was looking for. He handed it to Sungmin.

"Here, and I'm sorry if the hand writing is messy" he said with a laugh. Sungmin took the notebook with a smile. 

"It's okay, thanks a lot for letting me borrow it, I'll be sure to return it as soon as possible" he said.

"It's no problem, you're very welcome." Hyukjae answered, closed his locker and took his bag. 

"Anyway, I gotta go now, see you around I guess!" Hyukjae said with a small laugh, and waved at Sungmin for goodbye before turning on his heel and walking away.

Sungmin smiled to himself. Mission 'Get Hyukjae to notice Donghae': started flawlessly!

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~

"YOU WENT AND DID WHAT???"

During the next break he told Ryeowook and Donghae about his successful interaction with Hyukjae, but Donghae took it a bit differently than what Sungmin had expected. Donghae looked shocked. Sungmin just shrugged. 

"I just went and talked to him about some Chemistry notes. Now he knows me, and that's a good start."

Donghae looked like he was about to hyperventilate. 

"I think he did you a favour, Donghae" Ryeowook said, "now it's easier for us to introduce you to him"

Donghae didn't quite seem to agree, but didn't say anything after that.

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~

After school, later that evening Sungmin started to doubt, if he had made the right decision considering Donghae's situation and the first move he had made to help his friend. But, Ryeowook had agreed with him that he had done the right thing. Maybe Sungmin was just overreacting. 

He was chilling in his room, on his bed, deep in his thoughts when he suddenly heard his phone make a sound.

*cling*

He had got a message. But from who? He checked his phone, filled with curiousity. His pulse became rapid as he saw, who the text was from.

Kyuhyun: Hi, how are you? 

Sungmin was too surprised to form a coherent thought for a few seconds. Then he typed back:

Sungmin: Hi, I'm doing good, thanks ^^ How are you? 

He then waited for an answer, and he didn't have to wait long.

*cling*

Kyuhyun: I'm okay, thanks. What are you doing? 

Sungmin: That's nice to hear. I'm just chilling at home. How about you? 

This time Sungmin had to wait for an answer for a bit longer. But eventually Kyuhyun did answer him. 

*cling*

Kyuhyun: Same here, nothing much. You haven't forgotten our plans for tomorrow, right?

Sungmin's heart didn't seem to be wanting to calm down. He wrote a reply with the sound of his own beating heart in his ears.

Sungmin: Of course not. I'll be at school at 1pm, as promised. Where are we going, actually? 

A moment of silence.

*cling*

Kyuhyun: It's a surprise. Don't try to ruin it!!

Sungmin huffed. Tsch. He couldn't help a small smile forming on his face. He was nervous, but at the same time he couldn't wait for Saturday to come. He wondered, if Kyuhyun felt the same way.

 

 

- Hello guys! It's been a while since my last update again and I apologize. It takes some time for me to come up with a new chapter and to decide where to take the plot to, I hope you'll be understanding 🙏 Thank you so so much for subscribing, upvoting and commenting, you guys make the awfully slow writing process worth it all ❤ xoxo see you all at the next chapter!! -