My Not-So-Scary Christmas pt. 1 (2seok)

In the Midst of the Dark


Seokjin used to hate Christmas. Unlike any other people, he would lock himself in his room for days. To avoid hearing the Christmas carols, he would put his black headphones in his ears and would play an ear piercing music.


But his reason why he does all those ridiculous things just to avoid Christmas differs from other people. It's not because his lover dumped him on the exact Christmas day nor was it because someone precious died on that jolly day.


Seokjin was single for years and never once had he even attend a funeral of someone he knows.


It's not because of sadness nor despair; it was because of som reason that is hard to explain even by the smartest person in the world.


The pink haired latter couldn't understand. There are so many times of the year when ghosts could come to him for help but why Christmas?
It started when he was on middle school.


The snow was falling from the blue sky and the slippery school grounds were blocking their path towards the main entrance. Most of the students were already chattering about giving each other's gifts and inviting each other for Christmas vacation and even Seokjin had so many plans to make sure that he won't be wasting his precious time for this event.


But as their last teacher announced her last speech before dismissing them for the long term break, a  smile fell on his lips when a middle aged woman came in naturally from the front door and pushed their teacher right on the floor.


Seokjin shouted, "What are you doing, ahjumma?!"


But the woman just vanished before his eyes turning into a vapor. He was met with shocked faces and some of his classmates even mumbled that he might be turning into nuts. And their  teacher just stand up silencing everyone before dismissing them.


Since then, it seems like the rumor of him seeing ghosts spread from underworld and many of them tried to ask him to avenge their death.


What the actual ?


Seokjin is not a freaking ghost police or something so why would they share their problems and ask him to do such ridiculous things?  Most of them died on the month of December and one of the things that Seokjin is popular for is relaying their message to their loved ones.


But who do you think will believe some middle school who looked like an elementary student that one of their relatives that was long burned into ashes wanted to tell them something?


Actually everything was fine. It's not that Seokjin hated seeing ghosts or something. It was just as more rumors started to spread around him, his father started to turn cold towards the poor boy. His father said that if he won't stop telling nonsense to people, he could never accept him as his real son.


He said he never raised him to be abnormal.


So Seokjin tried to fix it. He tried everything. Whenever a ghost will block his path, he'd never avoid it and will pretend to be looking at his phone and whenever a ghost tries to talk to him he'd put his headphones on and will start to shout the lyrics like a madman.


But pretending is hard and one time when they're having a family reunion, when he thought he'd be fine, a ghost appeared on his side and started whispering things to him. His hands trembled as he looked at his father. Jingle bells started to be played on the speaker but the voice only got louder.


Then when he felt an unnaturally cold wind on his neck, he stand up abuptly and and ran towards the bathroom without excusing himself.


He cried like  the world's about to end that day. He cursed himself for being able to see those things and when his father asked him to move out to the states, Seokjin kneeled before him and begged his heart out.


But as his father agreed to let him stay, he was prohibited from attending family reunions and gatherings to avoid the 'shame' that he brought to the family Kim's.
Since that day he also started to despise Christmas.

 


It's been a while since Seokjin moved to his new apartment but since it's officially winter, he had to lock himself out to avoid seeing ghosts. He still doesn't give up. He thought that if he won't see one for a while, his ability will completely vanish.


His stupid sixth sense was the reason why he and his father was not in his good terms afterall.


For some reason, the people were wrong if they think that ghosts only appear during halloween. Apparently, most of the ghosts who still can't ascend to heaven spent their lonely time on Christmas. They missed the times when they can still laugh and exchange presents with their family which was the reason why some of the ghosts wanted to borrow Seokjin's body for a bit.


It's practically hell for the latter. So he put a lot of talismans on his door to avoid such things from happening.


But no matter how he wanted to stay and procrastinate for the whole month of december, he couldn't avoid having to be with other human species.
A friend of Seokjin from high school invited him to a Christmas party and unfortunately he couldn't refuse because he's afraid that he'll appears rude. But since it's been a while since he's been on a Christmas party, it made him flutter just with the image of it.


Seokjin wore a suit for he's informed that it was a formal party but just as he's on the way to grab a taxi, a strange man started following him from behind.

Seokjin looked at his back only to see no one.


It's weird.


But when he looked at his front, the man from earlier appeared causing Seokjin to almost stumble back.


"A-Ahjusshi," Seokjin asked but the man just looked at him with sorrow. "Are you a ghost?"


but the man just disappeared that made Seokjin sigh in relief.

 


Seokjin arrived safely at the party but being labeled as an actual loner is hard. He didn't expect his other former classmates to come and he sure made a fool out of himself as he grabbed a wine and chugged it down as if he's drinking a water.


Seokjin grabbed and loosened the knot on his necktie, looking at the wide hall filled with bunch of strangers who want to check him out. He wondered why did he even agree on showing up but he shrugged off the thought with another glass of wine. Before he knew it, the party ended.


Seokjin hazily walked out of the hall hazily, some men tried hook up with him by offering him a ride but he just politely refused. Seokjin grabbed a taxi on his way home because taking a bus with his current state would probably end up with him, having a round trip overnight.


Seokjin stated his address.


The ride was in mute. The taxi driver didn't play any music nor did he try to talk to Seokjin. But being Seokjin, being completely drunk, he didn't mind it. However, when the taxi turned at the wrog road, despite his dizziness, he sat up and talk.


"Ahjusshi,  that's not the way to my apartment. Turn the car."


No reply.


"Ahjusshi, I said turn the car."


Again, no reply. He started to feel cold sweat dripping down his temples and his heart  beating in an unnatural pace.


'No way...' Seokjin looked at the rearview mirror. And what he saw confirmed his suspicions. The driver has no reflection.


Then the taxi took an abrupt stop. The driver turned his head sidewards and Seokjin recognized him as the ghost from earlier. The old man looked othing close to scary which the young lad was thankful for, but considering that he approached him twice, he must want something.


The silence continued for a few seconds before Seokjin decided to speak.


"Ahjusshi, d-do you want something from me?"


The man nodded a bit. Seokjin closed his eyes and took a deep breath, then his father's words rang into his ears. 'You, freak. And You call yourself my son? I'm so embarrassed to take you out because you kept seeing something we couldn't. Why do you have to be like this?! So weird... crazy.'


Seokjin could feel the oxygen lacking and he took more deep and shallow breaths before dashing out of the vehicle. The road was empty and only the sound of the night is all that he could hear. Seokjin could feel his vision turning into blur and tears dripping down his one eye but he immediately wiped it with his hand.
It was freezing cold and he didn't even bring a sweater.


He clutched his pants tightly before taking steps away from the taxi. He hung his head low.


'Get your grip, Seokjin. they's the reason why you're father abandoned you.'


But he didn't even reach ten steps before looking  back again at the driver's seat. The old man was looking at him with again, those sorrowful, soulless eyes. Then he mouthed with his dry and pale lips, 'Help me.'


Seokjin closed his eyes and closed his ears. He walked away, trying not to feel guilty. He needs to show that he's normal and try to avoid ghosts as much as possible. Why did they always seek him for help anyways? He's not even a professional ghost helper. If he helps that man, he will be considered as insane again and that's the worst--OH IT!


Seokjin runs back towards the taxi. "What do  you want? Dou you want to say something to your son? Relatives? Let's just make it quick."


Such a normal day for Kim Seokjin.

 

-To Be Continued-

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------
a/n: AHHHHHH!!!!! IT'S SCHOOL AGAINNNNN AND WE'RE CURRENTLY HAVING A HELL WEEK. Sorry for typos or anything... By the way, I wrote this instead of studying for our exams tomorrow so please be greatful (lol) and since I made a rough decision on auditioning for being a kpop idol so I guess it would be fine to dump my studies in a pile of trash I make. Ahhhhhh... I'm shamelessly asking for support HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'm going to audition in every Kpop agencies no matter what happens. I know it would be a rough path and I'm absolutely not saying this because I love songs from girl groups and boy groups. This is just simply what I want and I'll do what it takes to make it happen.