Music Of Our Soul

In the Midst of the Dark

Jimin and Seokjin are one of those so called perfect couple. Their tastes in everything matched and every decision they make are always made for each other. Their hobbies are also the same. And them being popular singers in their campus made their relationship more fantastic. However, being both singers frequently caused them some inevitable problems that none of them can solve.

 

"Babe, are you okay? You looked sick." Jimin hugged Seokjin from behind but the pink haired remained stoic. "Nothing, my head just aches a bit." Seokjin tried to smile but just managed to lift the corners of his lips a bit. Jimin sighed. He knows the problem but he doesn't want to announce it to his boyfriend's face. However, he's tired of Seokjin being childish. He's sick of facing the same problem everytime they're having this damn conversation.

 

"It's about the upcoming competition, right?" Jimin said and Seokjin pulled out of the tight hug. "What do you mean?" Seokjin looked annoyed. "You want to join the competition, right?"

 

"And?"

 

"Don't worry, I'm not going to attend the competition. I want to be the audience for the first time and just watch you sing." Jimin smiled to show his sincerety but Seokjin frowned more.

 

"Wait, do you think I'm angry at you for that?"

 

"Aren't you?" Jimin asked but what Jimin didn't know is that ripped Seokjin's pride apart.

 

"Do you think I'm that petty? Do you think I'm that jealous of your voice that I'm too scared to compete with you? I know! I know that my voice isn't that good and it will never be. But I don't want everything to seems like I won just because you let me."

 

"Babe, it-it's not like that! Wait, Princess! Seokjin! Seokjin!" Jimin tried to call him but it's not too long before the pink haired male completely blended with the crowd.

 

Another normal day. The raven haired sighed.

 

For the couple, or at least for Jimin. This conversation is nothing new. He knows that Seokjin may not speak about it but he could see the sadness in Seokjin's eyes whenever he's called as a second place. Jimin thought Seokjin will get over it but as the competition between their voices continued, Seokjin grew more and more distant. And it scared Jimin.

 

This upcoming December, their school will have to compete in a singing contest from other schools. But unfortunately, it's not just the usual festival which they used to attend. The media will participate in this big contest. They will choose some of the most talented students from each schools and there's a rumor that if they got luck they could even be accepted as a trainee. Anyone could participate through auditions and the more contestants from each schools, the better.

 

But Jimin won't.

 

No, Jimin can't. He could lose to anything but he could never afford losing Seokin's heart.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Bido ogo geuraeseo ni saenggakinaseo, saenggakinaseo geuraeseo geuraessdeongeoji byeol uimi eobtji" Seokjin sang as his fingers skillfully plucked the guitar. But none of it could console his loneliness. He still liked it more when Jimin is around to tell him he's doing great. As he looked at the moon illuminating the room, he suddenly thought about his and Jimin's already ruined relationship. And he knew it's all because of him.

 

He always says it's fine when Jimin always win in every singing contest they participate. Everytime he's labeled as the second best he always shrugged it off convincing himself that at least he's still one of the best and to prove that he's not even a little bit disappointed, he always bragged about Jimin's singing skills instead of his own.

 

But everytime he's alone, alone for his feelings and thoughts to freely wander off, his envy and greed always win over him. He's pathetic. Pathetic for being such a loser. Pathetic for being such a bad boyfriend. He's pathetic in every single way. And now he's even trying to cover his weakness by trying to regain self confidence. Seriously, pathetic.

 

Seokjin was trying to break off useless thoughts by singing again when he heard a shriek coming from the door. He turned around but saw no one. Well, it's impossible for anyone to come to the music room this late besides him and his homeroom teacher since he is the class president. He just shrugged it off. 'Must be a mouse.' He thought but on the inside he's quite creeped out.

 

Seokjin and Jimin lives at the same dorm that made it harder for him to clear his thoughts out. That's why whenever they argue or fight, Seokjin always try to escape reality by coming to the highschool's music room. He wanted music to serve as a cure for him to have the courage to fix what's wrong.

 

As Seokjin's guitar filled the heavy silence, before he knew it he had already finished singing a couple of songs. His throat already felt dry so he decided to pack his guitar and leave but something cold brushed on his back. He's still on uniform but he felt like someone had just rubbed ice on his bare skin. He could hear his heart beat filling his ears and hairs standing on his arms and neck. He risked turning his whole body around but nothing’s there. "Maybe it's because of the wind. Yeah, it's because of it. The winter season must've been near." Seokjin spoke out loud but he got more chills by the echoes coming back to him.

 

But as he dashed towards the door, he heard the creak again but this time he's sure it's not a mouse. Then suddenly, the door opened as if someone had kicked it. Seokjin almost screamed in fright. His mind went blank and cold sweat trickled down his temples and palms while tears are slowly creeping at the corner of his eyes. but what bothers him more is at the other side of the door, there's nothing but pure darkness.

 

 

He needs to get out of here. But his whole body is frozen. He exhaled slowly, not knowing he'd been holding his breath for a while.

 

 

'Clap. Clap. Clap.' Three consecutive claps rang Seokjin's ears.

 

 

This time, the pink haired boy doesn't want to turn around but he doesn't want to close his eyes either.

 

 

'La La La La La La La~' A sickeningly sweet voice echoed just right behind him. Seokjin's fist are slowly tightened its grasp as he stood there like a statue. 'You heard my song but you're deaf~ You heard my song but you're deaf~ You heard my song but you're deaf~' The voice sang and Seokjin just wanted nothing but to close his ears. Then suddenly the door closed again and Seokjin's sure he heard the door lock.

 

He can’t take it anymore. He needs to get out. With that thought, Seokjin threw his guitar on the ground and started banging on the door. He screamed for help just in case someone was there and he kept pulling the door knob.

 

You can’t get out,’ Seokjin turned around just to see a boy sitting at one of the desk. Its posture looked gloomy and tired. Seokjin can’t take it anymore, his energy is drained and no one could possibly hear him from the outside. Seokjin leaned his back against the door and he tiredly slid his body downwards in a sitting position. Tears streamed down his face in desperation and whimpering sounds gradually filled the room. The boy just sat at the desk with his one foot on the ground and the other one hanging in the air.

 

“P-please, let me go home. I beg you.” Seokjin pleaded but the singing continues.

 

‘You heard my song but you’re deaf~ You heard my song but you’re deaf~’

 

Seokjin’s cries and pleads intermingled along the boy’s uncanny voice. But then the boy abruptly stop. Before Seokjin knew it, the boy’s head rotated and know it’s staring at him its black eyes, its face is full of blood dripping from his forehead.

 

He heard my song and I made him deaf.’

 

The boy jumped on the desk and now it’s crawling towards Seokjin. The pink haired male curled himself into a ball and shut his eyes tight. The sound of skin against the floor is becoming louder, meaning that the boy’s just near.

 

“Please, please, please, don’t come closer. I beg you!” Seokjin moaned loudly and the sound stopped. The latter doesn’t want to open his eyes, in fear that the boy is still not gone. But after a few minutes, Seokjin decided to peek a bit.

 

He’s gone, he thought but he heard the giggle again. Then suddenly, he could feel droplets of water drip down his face. Seokjin slowly turned up his face but the ghost’s black eyes and bloody face met his gaze.

 

“AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!”

 

‘You heard my song and your soul is mine~’

 

 

 

 

 

Jimin is beyond worried. He tried to call his boyfriend for countless of times but he’s not answering. He also knew that Seokjin had a habit of going to the music room whenever they had an argument but he can’t bring himself to go there. So, he decided to go to school just before the sun rises just in case Seokjin really did spend his night there.

 

His suspicion, was confirmed when he found the music room unlocked and Seokjin’s back staring at him. “Seokjin-ah! Goodness, did you stay here all night?” Jimin ran towards the pink haired male and Seokjin turned around to hug Jimin. When the raven haired male pulled out of the hug, he cupped Seokjin’s face and noticed the latter’s dull eyes.

 

“Are you okay? You looked tired.” Jimin asked, worry is tainted on his voice.

 

Seokjin smiled weakly, “Yeah, I’m just a bit exhausted.”

 

Jimin sighed. “I’m sorry, it’s all because of me. If only I hadn’t—“

 

“Do you want to listen to some music?” Jimin was dumbfounded by the sudden question.

 

“What do you mean music?”

 

Seokjin didn’t answer his question. Instead, he proceeded to walk towards—a piano? ‘Since when did they have a piano here?’ Jimin thought but his thoughts were interrupted when Seokjin sat and started to play.

 

The pink haired male ran his fingers through every keys as if he’d been playing a piano for years but as long as Jimin remembered, Seokjin never played a piano before. But he just stayed silent and watched Seokjin’s back. Every note is causing a notch in Jimin’s chest but he doesn’t know why. When Seokjin finished the last note, he suddenly passed out, causing his head to bang against the piano keys that made a horrible sound.

 

“Seokjin-ah!” Jimin shook his boyfriend’s body in panic. There’s something wrong. The clinic is probably closed at this hour so he decided to call the ambulance. Jimin slipped Seokjin’s arms in his shoulders to piggy back him towards the main entrance but before they can even exit the music room, an ear piercing voice rang through Jimin’s ears.

 

‘You heard my song but you’re deaf~ You heard my song but you’re deaf~ You heard my song but you’re deaf~’

 

Jimin slowly turned around…

 

 

 

It’s Seokjin.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jimin sluggishly opened his eyes, his vision trying to adjust. Then suddenly, he remembered the thing that happened in the music room.

 

“Park Jimin-ssi? Are you already awake?” The nurse asked but Jimin ignored her.

“Seokjin,” The black haired male fluttered his eyes open as he removed the dextrose pinned against his wrist. “Where’s Seokjin?”

 

“Calm down Park Jimin-ssi, you’re in the hospital, you’re safe.” The nurses tried to calm Jimin down but Jimin tried to run away leaving the nurses with no choice but to tie him down his bed.

 

“Tell me where the is Seokjin! I need to find him. Untie me. Untie me, you bastards!” Jimin trashed around his bed but the nurses just looked at him in disbelief and some with pity. Not too long after, the doctor arrived when the nurses put back the dextrose and injected him with some sedatives to calm him down.

 

“Tell me how do you feel, Park Jimin-ssi.” The doctor said calmly while scribbling something on an observation paper.

 

“Seokjin…” Jimin said weakly. “Where’s Seokjin.”

 

“Park Jimin-ssi, Seokjin is not here. No, he was never here.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Seokjin was dead a long time ago. He died in a car crash with you when you were just kids, don’t you remember?”

 

“No! You’re lying! We were highschool—“

 

“You never went to a highschool Park Jimin-ssi. I know it’s hard to accept it but your defense mechanism is making it harder for you to put barrier between fiction and reality. You keep insisting that somebody killed Seokjin, a ghost killed Seokjin but Mr. Park… he died in a car crash. You’re making it hard for yourself.”

 

Jimin was on verge of tears. He convinced himself that it’s not true. That the doctor is just making things up but he doesn’t know. He doesn’t know what to trust. He just need Seokjin. His beautiful Seokjin.

 

“I’ll prescribe some higher dose of the medicine he’s currently taking so make sure he’ll take his pills on time, okay?”

 

“Yes, doctor.” A female nurse replied and the doctor was gone.

 

 

 

 

“You heard my song but you’re deaf~”

 

Jimin looked at his side only to see his Seokjin smiling down at him. A smile crept on Jimin’s lips.

 

“You heard my song but you’re deaf~ I made you deaf~” Jimin sang and Seokjin’s face saddens.

 

Seokjin mouthed something.

 

 

I. Love. You’

 

 

-The end-

 

 

 

a/n: Hi guys!!!!! It’s been like months since I last write a story and this horror thingy is simply just not my section but anyways I’m sorry for being on hiatus for such a long time. For those people who’s reading my other stories, I’m so sorry! Things happen y’knaw and there are just so many problems lined up for me to solve. Anyways tell me about your thoughts about my first ‘horror’ one shot.

p.s. : I’m not even sure if it’s scary. It just simply sounds so lame for me XD

p.p.s.: CONGRATULATE ME FOR MY COMEBACK!!!

p.p.p.s : Expect updates on my other stories