Hold Me 5: Comrade in Pain

Hold Me Tight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hold Me 5: Comrade in Pain

 

“Sunbaenim, can you even bring motorbike to school?”

He laughed at her remark. “I don’t know what to make up of you. Are you a good girl or not… Hang on tight Joy, I’m going to speed up.”

As his motorbike speeds up, they passed by an approaching white car moving towards the school.

At the sight of the white car she was supposed to go back, Joy hides her face as she grabbed Sungjae jacket tighter.

He chuckled.

She was cute.

Throughout the whole ride, Joy can feel her heart pounded against her chest erratically.

She knows, it is a bad sign.

They finally arrived at a slightly upper class looking home in a neighbourhood further away from school. She gulped. She is not wrong about him right… he is a good guy right.

“Where is this?”

“My mom’s house.” Sungjae took off his helmet and stepped down from the motorbike. “Can you wait for a bit, I want to take something.”

“What is it?”

“It will make you feel like you are flying. Trust me, it helps me a lot.”

“Why are you being so nice sunbaenim?”

“Why?” He laughed. “We promised to hang out with each other right to get rid of this…” Sungjae pointed at his head and then held his heart. “The pain only both of us know. Wait for me okay?”

He ran to his house leaving her all alone.

“Oh, you are home.” Mrs. Yook said nonchalantly when she noticed him about to ascend the stairs.

“I am home.”

“Are you eating dinner at home?”

“Aniyo.”

“Okay.” She didn’t even bother to look at Sungjae as she continued proceeding to pick up her ringing phone.

The exchange of conversation he always has with his mother was always cold when he went back home… he tried to shrug it off and tried to find the 'rider' that his dad gave to him when he was little.

It was a bit dusty but this would do. He grabbed the ‘rider’ and about to step out from the house when his mother slightly raised her voice. “Yook Sungjae!”

For the first time in a while, she looked him at his eyes.

How he wishes it was a warm pair of eyes looking at him now...

But his mother eyes were full of hurt, anger and even betrayal.

“What did you do at school Yook Sungjae?”

***

On the other hand, Joy fidgeted for quite a bit when she finally remembered the letter she was given by her teacher. She contemplated for a little before deciding to open the letter.

At the sight of the writing that she knows so well, she felt her heart ache in sorrow and her eyes stung with a surge of feelings.

It was really from her hometown…

It was her sister writing...

Her little sister can write so well now.

A tear rolled down her cheek before she hurriedly wiped it off and continued reading the letter.

“Unnie… halmeoni miss you. It’s my birthday soon. I know you cannot come here but at least write back, will you? Well, that’s what halmeoni asked me to write. You know as well her eyesight is not that good. I’m afraid one day she will forget you. I don’t even know whether I should still call you unnie or not. This is awkward. But at least wish her happy birthday.”

“Who are you?”

Joy hurriedly folded the paper and kept it in her pocket.

 “Me?”

“Ne, you. You are in front of my house.”

“Your house?” Joy looked at the house she was standing in front.

“Ah. I’m Joy, Sungjae’s friend.” She bowed politely.

“Oh! I’m his noona!” She exclaimed excitedly before she took Joy hand and clasped it together with her.

“Aigoo this kid.” Sungjae’s noona glared at the house as if Sungjae can see her.

“You are really pretty and look nice too. I’m so happy.”

“Ah.. ne..” She nodded awkwardly.

Joy kept on thinking that his noona is pretty too. It must run in the family.

“This kid never told me about getting a girlfriend.”

Joy eyes widened. “Aniyo.” She denied strongly.

“Aniyo? He never brings anyone back home especially lately after the ..” The older girl paused and looked at Joy. “Do you know?”

“The accident? Yes.”

“Has he ever talked to you about?”

“Not really.”

“Oh. He still doesn't talk in school?” The older girl cheery expression was wiped off in an instance that she heard the news from Joy.

“He did… it is just…”

“He is not the same as before?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter