Chapter 7

The Visit

(Jihye's POV)
It's been three weeks since I moved in and I've become a lot more comfortable around the boys. Seokmin reminds me a lot of Juye so we clicked pretty easily. Mingyu is also fun to talk to because we both like cooking. For some reason, Wonwoo doesn't really like me and is always glaring at me.
Somehow I've become a messenger for my members and it's driving me crazy. Leehyun is constantly asking me about Chan because she's too shy to text him by herself while Jiaye, the only one without a phone gives me letters, yes paper letters to give to Jun and Minghao. I swear that on our next day off, I'm going to drag her to the nearest electronic store and get her a phone. It's not like she doesn't have the money for one so I don't get why she hasn't bought one yet-

"Jihye, are you ok?"
I looked up at Jihoon's voice. His face showed a mix of concern and amusement. Blinking twice, I looked around the workroom. I had zoned out again, in the middle of lyric writing.
"Uhhh... Jihye?"
"Y-yeah I'm fine, I'm fine. Don't worry"
He just gave me a slow nod and turned back to his computer. I stared at his back for a second before turning back to my notebook. Letting out a sigh, I turned to lie on my stomach. I'm currently stuck on the bridge of the song and I'm supposed to finish it by tomorrow. Combing through my hair with my hand, I snap the book shut and place it in my bag. 

"Jihoon oppa, I'm going to the practice room for a bit!"

He gave me an ok sign and off I went, bringing my bag with me. Entering the mirrored room, I felt a slight sense of awkwardness. I'm still not that comfortable practicing here but doing something other than staring at lyrics is a nice change. I connected my phone to the speakers and got into position. The first beat of our debut song blared through the speakers and my expression changed immediately. The fast beat and bright melody had my sneakers squeaking on the wooden floor. I remember the first time we went through expressions, I cringed every time I had to wink. Now they came naturally like my smiles. With a tilt of my head and another wink, the song ended. I quickly went back into position as the song started again. And again. And again. It had probably looped about 10 times before I noticed that my body was on autopilot. Cutting it off in the middle, I scrolled through to my cover song. Now why I was doing a cover of this song was a long story.

*A month before*

"Are you kidding me! What the hell Chloe!"

She just stood there sheepishly as I freaked out over what she just told me. Apparently, our choreographer Miya wanted me to do a cover of "I Love It" by Dean. Something about I needing to "expand my horizons" and "try other concepts". And Chloe agreed without even asking me and even offered to make the dance for me. 

"Don't worry Jihye-ah, it's not like you have to choreograph the routine or anything. Just think of it as another dance cover"

Rubbing my temples, I glared at Chloe through my bangs.

"The problem is that it's your choreo, Jungwoo! We're both already really busy so where are you going to find the time to make it? Plus I've never done a y concept before, let alone make a cover with it. It'll take me twice as long as usual to learn it!"

She just stared at her shoes, not saying anything. Realizing that I went too far, my expression softened. 

"Look, Unnie, I just don't want you to overwork yourself. You have your own dance cover coming up and you always stay late in the studio to help Miya Unnie with the debut choreo. I'll do this cover, but if you can't find time to start the choreo by this week, I'll just do another song ok?"

Her expression brightening, she nodded and I gave her a tired smile and walked off.

*End of flashback*

Well, I was right when I said it would take a long time. Chloe somehow had finished the choreo and got it approved by the end of the week and that was that. It took me two weeks to fully learn it and I'm still lacking "expression" according to Miya. Sighing, I pressed play and got into position. The choreo was smooth and rhythmic, with lots of body rolls and floorwork. Thankfully, the footwork was not too complicated but no matter how many times I tried, Miya told me I was lacking expression. When I blew my top and asked her what I was lacking she said she wasn't sure herself. I powered through the song with delicate gestures and a smoldering gaze at the mirror. I was so focused that I didn't notice someone coming until I heard a cough. I whipped around to see Jihoon standing by the now open door, cheeks slightly pink.

(Jihoon's POV)

I stretched, loosening a knot in my shoulder with a satisfying crack. I had been staring at my computer for about four hours straight other than my little chat with Jihye, and I was quite bored. Deciding that I did enough work for today, I saved my files and closed my computer. I walked into the practice room to see what Jihye was up too. A strangely familiar tune drifted down out of the open door, and I froze in the doorway as I saw Jihye mid-body roll. My face heated up as she ran her fingers through her hair and she did a side wave.  She didn't seem to have noticed me come in so I continued to watch until I couldn't anymore. I coughed, trying to get her attention and she quickly turned around. She looked a little embarrassed and shuffled to the speakers to pause the song.

"Um Jihoon, how long have you been there?"
"Long enough. I didn't know you liked the y concept Jihye"

She groaned, hiding her face in her hands. 

"Ugh whatever, since your here maybe you could help me"
"For the dance? It might be better to ask Soonyoung for that"
"Not exactly. My choreographer said my expression is lacking but didn't tell me what exactly is lacking. I felt like a third perspective might be helpful"

"Again, I'm a composer, not a choreographer. I don't really know that much about working with expression"

"I don't know ok! Look, I'm sure that you would understand any piece of music better than anyone so if you get the feel of the song, you could give me some tips"

"Fine, fine I'll try but no promises"

Jihye went into position and I restarted the song for her. As I watched her dance I noticed something. She wasn't necessarily lacking expression, but it didn't seem like hers; almost like she was copying someone else. 

"That's it!"

Jihye jumped at my voice and turned off the music.

"Jihye, how do you usually learn expressions?"

"Uhhh... well our choreographer usually gives us a rough idea of what to do and leaves the rest to us. Why do you ask?"

"Well, I thought that your expressions seemed kind of off. Like they're not yours"

"Hmm. Come to think of it, I learned the choreo from Chloe this time so I tried to copy from her. I've never done this concept before so I didn't know what to do"

"Like I thought. Can you try making your own expressions?"

"How? I don't really know how to act y or alluring or anything"

"Well... you don't have to?"

"What do you mean"

"The meaning of this song is about is about but it's also about things you like and having fun. So maybe enjoy the iness a little more?"

Jihye was silent for a few seconds. I wallowed in the awkward silence, waiting for her to say something.

"Jihoon, can you turn on the music for me?"

She walked back into position and I clicked play. She danced again like before, but she was completely different this time. She let herself smile, was more natural and flirty. I was more prepared this time and kept my face neutral, but I could see in the mirror that my ears were red. As the last note faded, I was a little disappointed it was over.

"Thank you so much Jihoon!" exclaimed Jihye. "I knew that asking you was the right choice"

"No problem, Jihye" I genuinely smiled. "Ask me for help anytime"

I feel like I've gotten a little closer to Jihye again, but this time it feels a bit different. I can feel something warm and exciting in my chest, and my heart's beating a little to fast. I'm catching feelings -good ones- and I'm in for a bumpy ride.