Two

The Price of Privilege (A Kyungsoo Series)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Exactly how many days of the entire four month period could you spend locked in your room?

Two. The answer was two.

May had ventured out long before you even considered leaving your bed; having diagnosed you with some terrible mental illness brought on by stress, she left in search of a cure.

She came back with cake and after a few sugary bites you decided a shower was in order.

With the cake came news from the rest of the mansion that you stuck your nose up at, refusing to hear anything about this terrible family that would raise a terrible son like the man you were betrothed to.

With the obvious plummeting of your mood since May had rescued you from that kitchen, she was certain that something awful had happened. But May, being May did not pry. She hugged you in your sleep and rubbed your back and brought you food and snacks and even offered to let you use her phone as much as you wanted to FaceTime with your sisters.

Eventually you needed some sun. Your room was on the south side of the home and neither the rising sun in the east, nor the setting sun in the west touched your windows or your face for that matter.

During one particularly low point, you considered hurling yourself out of the window, until you remembered that you were on the first floor and you would have only landed on a rose bush and confused a gardener.

“I need to get out of this house.” May was laying on her back with her legs up against the wall in what you were told was a yoga pose, but you figured she was just bored.

With your sudden announcement she sat up onto her , instantly awake and ready for whatever plan you had spent the last 8 hours hatching in your mind.

“Let's go for a drive.” There was a new determination in your voice at the possibilities and you heard the doubt in her small hum of confusion.

“You don't know how to drive.” She reminded you of the minor detail that slipped your mind during your madness and you groaned.

She was right. You didn't. And you knew that she didn't either. Plus neither of you had a car.

Unless…

Your mind was spinning in a dangerous direction. Perhaps you had gone insane from cabin fever, but you leapt up from the bed and rushed to the dresser next to your bed and pulled the drawer open.

Inside of that drawer was a key.

A familiar key with a fancy symbol that you knew well from your father’s car collection.

“Do I need to remind you that you don't know how to drive?” May spoke up again, her voice betraying a slight panic that was absent the first time she asked you.

“I watched a YouTube video once. I think I can figure it out.” Of all the bad ideas you had had in your life--

May was hot on your heels as you quickly made your way down the hallway toward the direction of the front door. Sitting inside your room staring out the window as you gave in to your melancholy self pity had afforded you a bit of time to observe the way the home functioned. You were certain that you knew the direction ot the garage and you had definitely seen what you were sure was a fancy black Maserati headed in that direction merely hours before.

Only minutes after you saw it leave, it had returned traveling faster than you thought was safe to drive in such a closed space as was this driveway.

You briefly wondered where he had been meaning to go, only to turn right around and head back home. You then scolded yourself for even having any thoughts about him in the first place.

The only thought that concerned you right now was that that car was inside of that garage.

“I, May Kim, would like to go on the record and state that this is a bad idea. This is happening against my advice and I have tried my hardest to stop her--” May was speaking to her phone as she held it up to her face, recording a video with the time and the date that this event was happening, to cover her should the inevitable bad bad thing happen once you sat behind the wheel of that car and turned it on.

The garage door was closed.

Locked from the outside. You paced back and forth on the crisp clean cement in front of the rows of closed garage doors and looked for some sort of handle.

Perhaps it was motion activated? A little dance in front of the door did nothing and you looked down at the key in your hand, opting to press the buttons to see if they did anything.

Although the door didn't open with the first button you tried you definitely heard a beep from somewhere inside of the garage.

Another button caused another sound. The deep rumble of an engine starting up on the other side of the door and you quickly pushed that button again to turn the car back off. The other buttons on the key did nothing useful from this side of the closed garage door and you dropped your hands to your side in frustration.

When you looked back up you caught a sound. A whirling and sliding metal sound and you stared in wonder as the garage door slowly lifted and disappeared up at the top of the garage, opening up to an empty space with the slick chrome grill and black hood of that same fancy black car you had seen driving around the driveway earlier today.

Next to the car...May stood with her hands on her hips and a look on her face that gave away the mischievous eyes of your best friend. Your eyes followed where she shrugged and pointed; the door to the side of the garage that she had simply opened and walked through.

“If you kill me...I’ll kill you,” she said and you smiled the first genuine smile you had felt on your face in days.

You knew enough about how cars worked to get the car into drive, with your foot planted securely on the brake. You knew you should keep your hands at 10 and 2. And you knew a seat belt was a must.

What you didn't know, was just how fast that engine would push the second you placed your foot on the gas pedal.

Perhaps you pressed on the gas a little too hard, but this was a learning experience right? There was a loud squeal of tires and even the look of what seemed to be steam coming from somewhere behind the car. And you were clear of the garage entrance much too quickly with the horizon in front of you coming at you very very fast. You knew there was a tree somewhere ahead and you knew that you should stop the car before that got too close, right?

You screamed and May screamed and when you pressed on the brake pedal, you found yourself half on the cement of the driveway in front of you, half off the cement into the well manicured grass and bushes that lined the driveway.

That bush would probably not survive. But the tree was still relatively far away and you took a deep breath, put the car into the R position and lightly, pressed on the gas again.

“You need to turn the wheel and follow the driveway,” May was speaking from the passenger seat and you noticed she had the glove box open as she leafed through the user manual for the car.

A glance down at her lap showed the page she had opened to was the section on the extensive safety features the car offered.

You had made it down the long and curving driveway at an achingly slow pace, now terrified to press too hard on the gas you noticed that the car seemed to move on it's own quite nicely without even having to use the gas. Perhaps you could reach your destination like this….just going slowly. You didn't bother reminding yourself that you didn't have any actual destination.

The gate was closed ahead of you and you noticed two guards look up as you slowly approached.

You could see their faces getting closer and closer. They looked at each other for a long while as they simply waited for the car to reach where they stood and you braked hard enough to throw you and May forward into the seat belts as they approached.

The first button you tried on the door panel locked the doors around you. The second one didn’t seem to do anything and the third button you tried sent the driver's side window down smoothly.

The one guard on your side leaned his head down as he looked at your face. His eyes glanced over the car quickly and you saw his eyes glance over at May who sat silently in the passenger seat next to you. You gripped the steering wheel and kept your foot on the brake, trying your hardest to keep your expression completely calm and casual.

“Your Highness,” the guard spoke up finally and his eyes were looking at the other guard on the other side of the car.

“Open the gate.” The authority in your voice was familiar and you saw him stiffen slightly as he heard it.

His eyes glanced at the other guard again and you felt a wave of something flood your senses. They were communicating to each other -- about you -- with their eyes.

You felt a sinking feeling when you saw the guard on the other side of the car reach for a radio on his belt. In a low voice he began speaking too silently for you to hear and you turned your attention on the guard at your window.

“What is the meaning of this? Open the gate. That’s an order. Do you know who I am?” You felt your temper rising with their stubborn inaction and his eyes flinched hard with your words. He definitely knew who you were and you could see the struggle on his face at having to disobey you.

He was working on someone else’s orders though. That much was obvious.

“I’m afraid I cannot let you leave alone. I have only been authorized to allow you to leave in the company of the prince.”

The prince. The prince--Your prince. It didn’t take a ing genius for you to figure out which prince he was talking about, but what you couldn't quite grasp here was why.

Why would Kyungsoo give the guards such an order? He hated you. He wanted nothing to do with you, why on earth would he want to go anywhere with you?

You heard the sound of an engine behind you, pushing hard. The sound grew closer the longer you sat still trapped in front of this closed gate with two very alive, very real human guards standing directly in front of your two tires. No matter how you thought about it, this was a situation that would end badly unless you simply gave up and returned back to the home.

The sounds of the engine grew closer until in the rear view mirror showed you the image of a white sedan racing up the driveway, moving closer and closer at a shockingly fast pace. You closed your eyes hard and flinched just as you heard the squealing of brakes behind you. You braced for the impact. You were sure it would hit, but your racing heart was met with only the sound of a car door slamming behind you.

“Get out of my car.” He was breathing hard and his face was red with anger as he stomped up to the open drivers side window.

Your heart pounded as you looked into the big round angry eyes of Do Kyungsoo and you reached your hand down to lift up on the lever that would close the window. It lifted...too slowly for your liking and you pulled harder, willing the stupid thing to close faster than it was.

Halfway up, it suddenly stopped and changed direction, heading back down again. You saw his arm moving through the open space of the window as he reached inside the cabin, coming for you and you screamed.

With genuine fear coursing through your chest, making your heart thump wildly, you curled up into yourself. Instinctively protecting your face and chest you pounded against his arms as they tried to reach for something.

You heard the sounds of May screaming as well and Kyungsoo was practically laying over you through the open window. He was still reaching as May smacked him hard over and over with her purse and a moving sensation made you feel seasick.

You were rolling.

“Brake! Brake! Hit the ing brake!” He was screaming in your ear and his arms were reaching around you trying to grab at the shifter as May smacked him again and again. The sounds of men shouting around the car muddled your thoughts further.

You heard a clanking sound from somewhere in front of you. A metal scraping sound and a grinding clicking sound as the heavy breathing of the man who laid over your chest grunted and pulled at something inside the cabin.

The car stopped moving. You could feel the weight of his body on top of yours as he breathed in and out, warming you thoroughly with each breath.

Your hands were shaking. The ones that rested just over your face and as you watched his side profile with his closed eyes you did it through the slits in your fingers.

You couldn't see in front of the car because his face was in the way and your eyes zeroed in on his lips. They looked soft and they held your attention until you looked up a few inches and saw dark brown eyes glaring hard at you now.

“Did you just crash my car into the gate?” His voice was low and menacing so up close to your face and you shook your head as you winced.

“I don't know, I can't see through you.” You whispered, almost too afraid to use your voice at full volume. His eyes closed and he groaned, lifting himself off of you unceremoniously by plopping heavy hands against your thighs, he pushed and he grunted as he exited the window which he had somehow managed to climb almost entirely through.

And suddenly he was gone.

Without his heaviness sitting over your chest you could breathe deeply and your view of the front of the car was visible again. You saw the gate, pressed right up against the front of the car and a very clear bend against the bars of the gate. Not enough to really cause any damage to the gate, but the car had pushed hard against the bars causing them to give a bit.

Had you really crashed his car?

Kyungsoo had been crouched down somewhere up at the front of the car and when he stood up you saw him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter