Chapter 3

Otome: Connecting Worlds

That night, you had the scariest dream ever. You dreamt that Chanyeol had a gun pointing to his head and you were held hostage. It felt so real and terrifying that you woke up in cold sweat. Since you couldn’t sleep anymore, you decided to go for an early morning run. The wind was crisp against your skin and you welcomed it. Staying indoors too often wasn’t good anyway.

You went on your weekend routine as usual- going to the weekend bazaar. Your friends were all hanging out there too. You were enjoying your milkshake when your eyes caught a pair of familiar ones. Jumping to your feet, you hurried towards him before the crowd swept him away from your sight. Those eyes were too bright for you to mistake them. Once you reached him, you paused in confusion because the person you expected to see wasn’t there. In his place was a complete stranger. You tilt your head in confusion because you swore his eyes were the exact replica of Baekhyun’s. Then, a realisation hit you. It was impossible to see Baekhyun in real life. He only existed in the game. You mentally pinched yourself for the mistake and for acting like a crazed bull.

You put on the headgear hesitantly because you didn’t know what to expect. Will Sehun finally appear again? Or will you meet new characters? That was for you to find out when the game starts. As if god heard your prayers, or the creator responded to your email, Sehun’s face was the first thing you saw. He was smiling down at you and gesturing at something behind you. You turned and there was a huge carnival in front. You almost squealed in excitement because carnivals were so exciting. And it was a date!

Shall we?

Sehun gestured with a small tilt of head and led the way. Apparently, your character was more excited than he was and you watched yourself leading the way instead, him tagging behind.

Let’s play that!

Your character spoke and pointed to the highest roller coaster. You nearly gawked at the dialogue. What happened to being the awkward stammering girl? Sehun looked uncomfortable as well, eyeing the roller coaster warily.

Let’s go play that instead. I’ll get you a teddy bear.

He nervously yet determinedly suggested and darted towards the direction of the game booths. You ran to catch up with him and to about being scared of a roller coaster. Sehun was good at shooting darts and he did win you a small teddy bear. He looked satisfied when you cuddled it to your chest.

+

Next stop!

A Teacups

B Horror House

C Ferris Wheel

+

You scoffed at the options because teacups were so old-school and you weren’t keen on giving yourself another episode of motion sickness spinning in that cup. You chose the horror house because you were absolutely not going to miss it. Sehun visibly paled but still nodded slowly as if he didn’t want to disappoint you.

S-Sure. Let’s go.

You skipped towards the horror house station while the reluctant man slowly dragged his feet behind. You giggled at his antics. Once you were given torchlights and a green pass to enter, you stepped forward to enter but a strong hand tugged you back.

What’s wrong?

You asked, turning back to check on Sehun. He was so nervous that his eyes were darting around quickly, not knowing what to focus on.

…Nothing.

He replied after a deep breath. He looked determined to survive the horror house but his eyes were still slightly unfocused.

+

What would you say?

A You’re so weak

B I’ll protect you

C Let’s play something else

+

You contemplated at your choices. Sehun wouldn’t die in that horror house, right? The ghosts were fake after all.

I’ll protect you…

Once your character finished, Sehun turned red and grabbed your hand to drag you inside his doom.

I’m not scared!

You imagined him to yell indignantly in order to save his pride. However, his confident big steps faltered when the eerie music filtered through his ears. He immediately rushed to hide behind you. You laughed out loud at his silliness. Sehun was the epitome of cute.

You both made it out in one piece. Sehun was still gripping onto your arm like his life depended on it, but it was fine. He seemed embarrassed for not behaving manly, and placed you on a bench before running off towards the food carts. You were staring at the balloon man entertaining children before an unknown figure sat beside you. You turned to him in surprise.

Hi! Are you alone?

You read the dialogue, wondering who it could be. There was only Kim Kai and Kris pending to appear. Somehow Kris didn’t seem to be quite a friendly one, so you already had your guess. Sure enough, the blurred face turned out to be the grinning face of Kai.

Where’s your date?

He asked you, looking around curiously before leaning closer to you. He had a mischievous smirk on his lips.

Let’s go have some fun.

Before you can even register what he meant, or even reply because there was no prompt, he grabbed your hand and took off. Mentally, you panicked because Sehun would surely panic when he found you missing from your spot. But perhaps Kai had something fun up his sleeves. He stopped at a cotton candy stall and promptly grabbed a stick before dashing off again. You gasped in shock when the vendor waved his fist and Kai merely laughed. You finally came to a stop under a tree when your character was panting.

That was fun!

Kai was grinning again, clearly not sorry for stealing candy. You studied him judgingly, wondering why your character was hanging out with a thief.

Here! For you.

He held out the stick of stolen candy. You muttered a curse and begged your character not to accept it, but she did. Albeit with a blush as well, damn uncultured game characters. You cursed again, in your mind.

You were eating your stolen cotton candy, and Kai clearly had something going on in his brain again. He tried not to grin, and leaned in the opposite side of the candy, eyes piercing on yours, and took a huge bite off. You blinked in surprise. Kai knew no manners of the dating world. Who would do that to a stranger? You only knew him for a few minutes, in which he successfully established himself as a candy-stealing thief. Not a favourable impression.

 Lucky for your character, Sehun chose the moment to appear, with the most annoyed expression that could appear on his gentle features.

She’s my date.

He deadpanned. Well, you couldn’t exactly hear his tone, but judging by his tight lip movements and mood, it was definitely nothing less than a deadpan. His eyes screamed murder though. Kai dared to wave when Sehun dragged you away from him. And you knew you were in deep trouble. Chasity doesn’t seem to exist in the game. Your character went with every other man she met. Having enough of the nonsense, your fingers aimed for the homepage button but nothing happened. Maybe you can only exit the game when the story ended. You watched for what was about to unfold.

Sehun regarded you with a straight expression although his eyes were gentle again. They looked a little sad too, you noticed. He then held out a stick of cotton candy in front of you.

There was a long queue. I hope you like candy. Tonight was fun.

You accepted it silently, and Sehun gave you a little smile before turning to leave. You stared at his retreating figure and your character started wiping her face. Sehun was about ten steps away from you when he paused in his steps. With defeated shoulders, he came back to wipe your tears, looking apologetic as hell.

I’m sorry… Please don’t cry.

You wanted to tell him that it was no way his fault, blaming the stupid creator. Finally, there was a long-awaited prompt.

+

Make him feel better.

A Hug him

B Kiss him

+

You decided on a hug. Mainly because a kiss was just too much. Sehun smiled and hugged you back, wrapping his arms around your shoulders. And you just realised how tall he actually was. Well, his profile did say 183cm.

You were brought back to the homepage and there was a heart on Sehun’s meter. Then, you were confused when your nose felt stuffy and your eyes wet. It was as if you just cried. “Is my period here?” you mumbled grudgingly, because that was the only logical reason for you to be behaving so emotionally. You jumped up and headed towards the bathroom to check on your .