Prologue: Connecting Worlds

Otome: Connecting Worlds

The annual game convention was filled with exhibition booths, fans swarming around to get hold of their favourite game merchandise and a competition going on at the stage area. You explored the convention by yourself, since your overly excited younger brother had disappeared amongst the crowd. You weren’t a fan of games and seldom played one, but had to admit some of the booths were attractive. Without paying much attention to your surroundings, you wandered mindlessly to wherever your feet took you. There was nothing interesting but a young man sitting at an isolated booth caught your attention.

“Hello. What booth is this?” you decided to ask since there was no banner hanging around. You watched as the man gave you a rude once over. “Are you single?” he asked instead, ignoring your question. You cringed internally at his bluntness but replied because you were raised to be polite. “Yes, why?”

He nodded and took out a form. “Fill this up.” He instructed, placing it on the table. “What is this for?” you asked again, slightly annoyed that your questions were all deflected.

Where is the basic manners of this person?

“My company is creating a game prototype. We need volunteers to test it.” He explained, giving another smile and passing over a pen. “Fill it up.” He urged once more.

You raise a brow at the demanding man. “I don’t want to volunteer.” you pointed out. The man was rude and obviously, you won’t help someone who don’t even know their manners. “Let me give you a preview. Maybe it will change your mind.” He stood up abruptly and gestured for you to follow.

What even is this person?

Sceptically, you followed him into the booth. “Now, this is still a prototype. You cannot tell anyone about this. It’ll spoil the market value.” He informed before handling you a headgear of some sort connected to his laptop. “Put it on.” He instructed impatiently, trying to fit it on your head himself.

What the… He really doesn’t have manners.

Darkness was all you saw for a few seconds until the brightness of the screen blinded you. It appeared that you were sitting in a chic looking café overlooking a busy street. You looked away from the window and came face to face with a man with delicate features. He was saying something you couldn’t hear but you imagined his voice to be soft. His eyes were deep and gentle but he looked troubled. You smiled subconsciously but the scene changed to one of a rooftop.

You pouted in disappointment because he was gone but as you turned, your sight was greeted by a muscular back in tank top. You almost drooled if not for him turning to face you. You were then greeted by a sculptured chest and a worried face studying you. This face was sharp, a great contrast to the previous gentle one.

Then, the worried face changed into a more youthful one and you found yourself staring up at a smiling man with his cheeks caked in dirt. He was donned in sports attire and looking all bright eyed while seemingly ranting on about something. You couldn’t hear him but it seemed to be great news by how enthusiastic he was being. You could only smile to yourself at the sight.

The scene suddenly changed and you were back into the chic café. Sitting alone at the counter, you were taken aback when a face popped out in front of you. The cute looking man in waiter’s uniform grinned and presented a slice of cake. He was playful and spoke with twinkling eyes and cheeky grins while pretending to smear cream on your face. Then, he pouted and looked towards the sitting area with a gloomy expression. You pouted along with him when he left to serve other customers.  

You turned to your left and a man with chef hat frowned at you before placing a plate of pasta on the counter. He passed you a fork and took a seat next to you, urging you to take a bite. All the while, you felt his stares on you while you tried the dish. Looking up at him, his stares didn’t falter but instead he petted your head with a satisfied look.

Then, the lights went out, leaving only dimmed light caused by candles. A huge shadow loomed over you as you stared upwards, trying to see what was happening. You felt a warm hand caressed your cheek and a face leaning in. The man was breath-taking but also intimidating as his deep eyes stared into yours. His lips were moving as he spoke, but he was also getting closer…

The moment was cut short when the headgear was yanked from your head. You almost snapped at the rude man for interrupting if not for catching yourself at the last moment. “So? Up for it?” he waved the form in your face. You rolled your eyes but grabbed the form anyway.

“I am coming! Stop ringing the bell!” you yelled, running towards the door. Someone clearly has no patience. Pulling the door open, you were greeted with nothing but a box in your doorstep.

Did a ninja deliver this or what?

You looked around the corridor in puzzlement before picking up the box. You unwrapped the ton of bubble wrap and the item revealed to be a headgear complete with cables. “He really sent me the prototype.” you marvelled at the expensive looking gear. Connecting the headgear to your computer, you were ready to explore the game.

Otome: Connecting Worlds... Is this what the game is called?