The Journey to Seoul

Red Heels

Two months later

 

She stood in her boss’s office and looked at him. He shuffled through a stack of papers that she had given him.

 

“So as you see, even though I’ll be based in Seoul for six months, I’ll still be able to work on my columns and also get my tutorial videos done just like I have been here. It’s just a change of location.” She felt nervous and her hands sweated so much she hand to wipe them on the legs of her jeans. The dress code at work was very casual and she tended to wear jeans with a cute top and flats. She didn’t mind being short and only wore heels when she had to. Her boss shuffled through one more time before he looked up at her.

 

“I see you have included the cost of living for Seoul vs here. It’s higher, we can discuss a raise in your salary.” He smiled at her and her heart skipped. He was going to let her do it. She dropped into the chair in front of her, relieved.

“It’s been driving me crazy, waiting for you to let me know if you would clear my plan to go. I know it’s kind of sudden but Seoul is somewhere I always wanted to visit.” She readjusted the glittered stick in her hair. It was the result of her video tutorial that she had shot while she was in Korea.

 

“Well, there is one more thing I’d like you to do while you are there. Along with your usual column, I’d also like you do do a lifestyle article once a month. You can cover a place or an interesting person…..even a small business. And we can help cover the cost of a studio for filming.” He smiled at her. “So when did you plan on leaving.?” He leaned back in his chair.

“Well, I’ve been looking for apartments and I think I know which one I’ll take. I just need to take care of all the paperwork. They can fax it to me today if necessary. Then it will take a few weeks to get everything settled. I won’t take all my things just yet. It’s only a six month stay. So let’s say I’ll be outta here in three weeks.” She grinned and stood up. “I’ll go get back to work on my article for this months issue. Thank you for approving my idea.” She practically skipped out of the office and went back to her desk to let Kaye know she was coming…..with specific instructions not to tell the devil midget.

 

Three weeks later

 

She walked into the crowded airport and looked around. She loved the hecticness and the way people went on about their own business without looking at the people around then; she imagined a bee hive looked like this inside. She went out the doors and pulled her smokes and lighter out of her purse and lit one and took a deep drag and exhaled. All those hours on a plane had almost killed her. The stress of getting ready to move had made her start smoking again. Almost all her things waited at her new apartment, she had shipped it ahead of time. So all she had with her was her purse, a carry on and the two huge suitcases that held her precious supplies. All her glitters were wrapped individually and the gallon bottles of resin were triple bagged and wrapped with duct tape. She hadn’t wanted to risk using materials she wasn’t familiar with right away. She planned to pick up a few different products to sample in a few days. She took the last drag of her cigarette and stubbed it out in an ashcan outside the doors. She walked to the curb and hailed a cab. One pulled up and the driver got out to help her load her bags. Once they were inside she gave him the address of her destination. As the car made it’s way along the road she texted Minwoo.

 

“Yah, are you wake?”

 

He had just finished a work out and sat on the couch, a bottle of water in his hand as his phone went off. He grabbed it and replied to her.

 

“Of course I am, its only 11am. Did you forget about the time difference?” He chuckled.

 

She bit her lips to keep from bursting out into laughter.

 

“Well you are a busy guy, you could have been up too late and decided to sleep in.”

 

“Are you calling me lazy, Miss Maggie?” He got up to grab an apple and sat at the kitchen table as he peeled and cut it into pieces before he ate it. He looked at his phone, she hadn’t responded back yet.

 

The cab pulled up in front of the building and the driver helped her out and got her bags from the trunk. She paid him and made her way to the door to the lobby. She went in and took the elevator up. When it dinged she waited for the door to open. Her heart raced…..she was worried that maybe she had made the wrong decision to move here. She walked down the hall until she reached the right door. She reached a hand that shook out.........and wondered if it was too late to go back to Cali.....

 

(a/n……would you say this is a cliffhanger? I guess you will have to wait til chapter 4 to find out lol