Push and pull

Code Reds, Kill Orders, and You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

B****

“Hi. :)”

 

A14

“I know your group’s involved. An enemy spy has your emblem.”

 

B****

“Yeah. I was waiting for you to find out.”

 

A14

“Why? What’s your agenda?”

 

B****

“So you could move according to our true will without the true masterminds watching. Your enemy is not who you think it is.”

 

A14

“What makes you think I’ll do what you want?”

 

B****

“Your loyalty to B.I, that’s what. Don’t worry, he’s on this too.”

 

B****

“And before you ask, Ezra knows too. Gathering evidence against our snake is his true mission. I can’t kick the snake out without it, you see.”

 

A14

“Snake? Then what about the bomb?

 

B****

“The snake’s the only one who wants that. Can’t do anything but to go along until you guys find some of the trails yourselves. Now we can talk real business.”

 

A14

Are you saying the WL is collectively not involved?”

 

B****

“Yeah. The WL might be shady but we aren’t into the atomic bomb kind of stuff. The NIS can do whatever the hell they want with that after the retrieval.”

 

B****

“And I know you’re instructed to kill Ezra once the bomb’s taken. Just saying. :)”

 

A14

“Which means you gave the same order to him.”

 

B****

“Of course, but it’s not serious. I only gave it cause I was being monitored by the snake. Ezra doesn’t know though so it’s up to you to convince him not to kill you :)”

 

A14

“You sure are enjoying this you sick . You better not involve the NIS any further.”

 

B****

“Don’t be so sure about your org’s innocence, kid. Why do you think B.I has to team up with me?”

 

 

END TRANSMISSION

 

CONNECTING TRANSMISSION

 

 

B****

“Oh, and just to come clean with you.”

 

A14

“What?”

 

B****

“It’s my fault that Donghyuk left you. The thing about him being lonely was just bull he’s forced to tell.”

 

B****

“Anyway, he returned to us to save me from getting killed. Though he’s supposed to kill me initially. Haha”

 

B****

“Agent 14? Hello? :(“

 

A14

“It doesn’t matter now. He still didn’t come back.”

 

B****

“Well that’s because once returned after leaving, a White Lotus member can’t leave anymore. It’s our code. Even the dongsaeng of the next head isn’t exempted. The consequences are too scary.”

 

B****

“Hello?”

 

A14

“What’s your plan, telling me these things?”

 

B****

“Nothing. I told you I just want to come clean.”

 

B****

“If you have doubts though, here is a virtual tap key to Ezra’s encrypted exchange with your boss. It’s completely fail safe and not even B.I knows.”

 

B****

“See for yourself the kind of person my brother truly is.”

 

vTAP KEY FILE RECEIVED

END TRANSMISSION

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

So the White Lotus enemy spy might be working for the “snake” The Heir is talking about, the White Lotus collectively doesn’t care about possessing the atom bomb technology, and Donghyuk does know about his group's involvement but isn’t there to sabotage the mission.

 

And apparently, Donghyuk didn’t leave because of loneliness due to his short absences to thwart off low-ranked enemy disturbances, a.k.a a consequence of his job. Add to that, Donghyuk didn’t disappear because he’s done pretending to be a post graduate art student.

 

Also, Donghyuk didn’t return because he didn’t want to, but because he couldn’t.

 

“.”

 

Donghyuk whips his head towards him, eyes curious and concerned. He lets go of his laptop for a bit. “Is your wound hurting? Do you need the spray?”

 

No. Junhwe wants to ing shout at him for all the secrets and ask him straight up. Hold him with a gun on his head if he has to so only the truth will be spoken. But that would be too risky. What if in the end, everything, is a big fat lie all along?

 

Or he could just kiss him like he’s been wanting to ever since the first mission briefing.

 

“Just a little headache.” he says the excuse, discreetly minimizing the encrypted message thread he had with Donghyuk’s boss.

 

“Oh. You could rest more if you want. I can handle surveying the area alone.” Donghyuk smiles reassuringly at him as he goes back to his laptop.

 

“No, it’s fine.”

 

The other agent only responds with a nod, typing away for a few seconds until there’s a sound of two beeps echoing softly from his laptop. Donghyuk sighs and takes off the controversial usb flash drive he’s been slaving away for the rest of the night.

 

“Here.” Donghyuk makes a move to toss it to him so he opens up his hand to catch it.

 

“I’ve written a new protection system in there. You can check the files safely now.”

 

“Thanks.” Just to be sure, Junhwe still runs his own protection systems in his laptop. There isn’t anything detected from the usb.

 

He opens it, a single file set greeting him. It’s the blueprint of the atom bomb itself with all the details, including a confirmation that a transaction of a prototype is indeed happening at the AI unveiling event at Sawaki’s island.

 

He looks up towards Donghyuk who’s back to typing.

 

“Is this all?”

 

“Yes.”

 

He’s lying. Junhwe could tell because Ezra the spy had dropped down his guard more than necessary. Whether it’s deliberately done or not, it doesn’t matter. He opens up the virtual tap key he received from Bobby and engages it. No choice but to use it now that Donghyuk had lied to him. It’s only been a few hours after he had implied about wanting to be trusted.

 

He looks up to Donghyuk again. “Why are you giving me this? The NIS would be in a big advantage once I deliver this to B.I.”

 

“I already have a copy so it’s fine.”

 

“That wouldn’t be as legitimate without the original.”

 

“The original which the White Lotus might request from the NIS, in case we need it, and in light of this joint mission.” The other spy smiles at him again.

 

Junhwe narrows his eyes. “And what will the White Lotus gain from your actions?”

 

“An improved image from the NIS. You should know how important it is.”

 

Junhwe does. An improved image and a built up trust can go a long way with asking favors and access to important assets, such as confidential information and technology prototypes.

 

Still, it doesn’t change the fact that Donghyuk had lied to him a minute ago. That’s already an orange flag in normal spy circumstances. He shrugs at Donghyuk’s answer just so the other agent could consider the conversation done. Junhwe then waits for the virtual tap key to work. A new window opens showing him a similar message thread to the one he has with Bobby. Donghyuk doesn’t react from his typing.

 

Now, let’s see if he could fully trust both Ezra the spy, Donghyuk the person, and even his own boss.

 

 

***

 

 

As expected, a lot more guards are stationed around the island resort. A number of guests asked the hotel staff why and the reason of an “attempted theft” at the owner’s estate is given. He and Junhwe steps out of the hotel to walk down the beach front. Both of them are wearing beach attire, making sure their torsos are visible for everyone to see. It’s a fortunate thing his spray and the faux skin worked like magic on Junhwe.

 

Donghyuk reaches out to hold Junhwe’s hand in his, slightly surprised that the other male willingly laces their fingers and squeezes his hand in some sort of affirmation. He glances up to see him looking down on him, the smile on display so alike the ones he gives when he’s happy. The sight causes him to gulp and look down, his cheeks burning softly, as he tells himself for the nth time not to think too much on it.

 

There’s some talks from a few meters away from them so they turn their attention there. Big Bad is walking by the beach too, accompanied by four guards who are looking around in a not-so-discreet way. What amateurs. Junhwe tugs his hand so they walk towards their target.

 

“How are you Sawaki-san?” Donghyuk opens up to the man, making sure he looks and sounds concerned. “We heard from the hotel staff. Someone attempted to break into your home?”

 

“Yes.” the boss answers with a sigh. The guards are notably on alert. “My cameras are all useless and didn’t capture who it was. Though we suspect it’s some of the fishermen around the area.”

 

Junhwe cuts in, asking if he’s hurt and if there’s anything they could do to help. Donghyuk nods and notices how Sawaki glances over their bodies, as if scrutinizing them. Target says he’s alright, making eye contact with them with a more relaxed smile, before signaling his guards to step away. Donghyuk inwardly smirks. Flaunting out their torsos is the right decision.

 

“Do you want to have morning drinks to relax? We were just about to go to the bars.” Junhwe offers, letting go of his hand to wrap an arm around his shoulder. He reciprocates by wrapping his own around Junhwe’s lower waist.

 

Big Bad gives them a once over again, eye lingering more than a few seconds on him, before smiling and telling them that he’ll decline their invitation since he has a meeting in a half an hour.

 

“But please drop by my private lounge. I’d like to talk more about our business deal.”

 

“Sure Sawaki-san.”

 

They did get morning drinks just for the sake of it, and in case they’re being monitored. Donghyuk thinks on a couple of topics he and Junhwe could talk about but he decides against it in the end. Unlike the first days, the silence between them is comfortable. It’s like Junhwe had no complaints in the first place and had completely immersed himself into the role. As if… as if he isn’t angry anymore.

 

Does that mean Junhwe’s fully trusting him already? That he could finally tell him what his true mission is?

 

And reveal to him what he had discovered from the usb?

 

He isn't able to think more on his inner questions since a staff member of the hotel had approached them after they’re done with their drinks. Big Bad’s meeting is apparently canceled and wants to inform them he’s already available to talk about business any time of the day. He and Junhwe exchange nods and decide to get it over with.

 

They change into a more appropriate attire and lets themselves be fetched by Sawaki’s chauffeur. Business talk is done straight to the point and without any side topics happening. Now that such conversations are done seriously, Donghyuk has to commend Junhwe for being so well-versed about it. He talks as if being a businessman is his real job and not being a spy. Just like how he talked and worked as a newbie producer before. Donghyuk feels his jaw clench a bit at the reminder.

 

“Now that we’ve agreed on that, I’d like to talk to you both about something else.” Sawaki starts again after he’s done conversing with Junhwe about robotic arm shipments.

 

“I believe Donghyuk-ssi told you about an event I have in my private island near Jeju?”

 

“Yes. Donghyuk said you’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter