Downpour

Against All Odds

 

It was a rainy day, thunder roared and lightning flashed across the sky. The weather forecast predicted that it would rain but it didn't said anything about a typhoon or a thunderstorm. Despite the big walls that covered the building, the loud pouring rain could still be heard. Jihoon stormed in the pantry. She was obviously annoyed because of the weather. She had dinner plans with her college friends after work but the rain happened. She was forced to cancel it. She sat down and banged her head on the table and shouted in frustration. It was a good thing that Jihoon was the only one at the pantry at that time because she looked like a maniac on lose. Her co-workers didn't like Jihoon. She could feel that they don't like her, their constant stares whenever they saw her. The whispers and the gossips she heard when she walked down the aisle. Jihoon doesn't give a damn with all those things, they were rumors anyways and for a rumor to be a fact, it should have evidence. She dealt with various kinds of people and she really doesn't care anymore. She lived by the quote silence is better bull.

 

Jihoon looked at the window while resting her head at the table. It looked like the thunderstorm will be there for awhile. Jihoon sighed, she grabbed her phone and clicked on the power button and the screen flashed. It was already 4:45 in the afternoon. Jihoon sighed again, she remembered that she had to deliver evilcheol's coffee. She got her phone and created a message and sent it to her friends. She got up and approached the coffee machine. She waited for the coffee and got it, before heading to the office, which are a few floors away, she grabbed a sandwich for her to eat. She was hungry and haven't eaten anything since this morning. She devoured half of the sandwich with one bite in less than a minute. It took her two minutes to finish the whole sandwich. Jihoon wiped with her hand and went back to evilcheol's office. She placed the coffee on evilcheol's table and went back to her desk.

 

"Thank you..."Seungcheol said, he didn't took a glance at Jihoon. Jihoon proceeded to her work. They were quiet for quite sometime, all you could hear is the sound of the rain and the roaring thunder.

~



"I think it's best if we go home already. I mean the rainstorm could be worse." One of Jihoon's comrade said. It was still raining but not as heavy a while ago.

 

"Yeah, we should get going." Another one of Jihoon's comrades said. They immediately got their things and left Jihoon. They didn't even bid her their goodbye. It was as if she doesn't exist. To Jihoon, it was nothing. She didn't cared if they said hi or bid her farewell or even talk to her. Jihoon had enough of those, Seungcheol's treatment towards her was enough already.

 

After a few more minutes, Jihoon decided to leave. The rain had subsided anyways and it was time for her to go. She had finished everything that she's supposed to do. She grabbed her things and went outside of the building. Jihoon searched for her umbrella but unfortunately she can't see it. Jihoon slapped her head, how could she forgot to bring her umbrella with her? She lend it to Mingyu the other day and was not able to get it. She sighed, she tried to look for a cab but was not able due to the rain. It was hard enough to look for a cab and this rain isn't helping either. She sat on the bench for a while hoping that the rain would stop. Jihoon loved the cool breeze she's feeling right now. It gives her a nostalgic feeling. She looked around and saw various kinds of people, for some reason, there were a lot of couples around. They were sharing an umbrella, cuddling with each other while walking. It was a public display of affection kind of atmosphere. Jihoon started to feel melancholic, just like before....now she remembers why she hated the rain at some point in her life. Rain reminds you of a lot of things. For some people, it was a blessing but for Jihoon, rain gives you a sentimental feeling. She feels more sentimental and emotional every time it rains. Rain gives you the privilege to emote, to feel sensitive, to feel weak....Jihoon started to reminisce about the happy memories she shared with Seungcheol...the happy memories that she had shared with him. Even though they started being together because of Seungcheol asking help from Jihoon, they both developed feelings for each other at some point in time. Good memories suddenly changed into bad memories. Jihoon didn't realized that teardrops started escaping her eyes. There was a sudden downpour.

 

(IOI- Downpour)

 

i biga

meori wiro ssodajimyeon

heumppeok jeojgo malgessjyo

 

Jihoon started to unconsciously walked. She went out of the shelter...

 

nae maeumdo

meomulleojwoyo

ajikkkajin geudae eopsi na honja

i bireul majgien

 

Jihoon remembered the time where it all went wrong, the time where Seungcheol and Jihoon broke each other's hearts.



ajik eorigo

jogeum museowo

geumbang geuchil georangeol

ppeonhi da almyeonseodo

 

Jihoon was on her way to surprise Seungcheol...it was their (technically) anniversary she was about to confess her love for Seungcheol which she had practiced for several hours in the mirror. At first, they pretended to be together just to keep Sulli away...but later on, Jihoon felt her heart go boom boom every time she's with Seungcheol. She must have fallen in love with him...



geudael chajneyo

ije geuman

da geuchilkka

i bismuldo

nae nunmuldo

 

Jihoon had a spare key to Seungcheol's apartment....he gave that to Jihoon in case Sulli was bothering her. Sometimes she sleeps at Seungcheol's apartment but they were in separate rooms of course.

 

bie jeojeo chuwie

tteolgo sipjin anhayo

jeongmal eonjengan

neomu chadichassdeon bismuri

Jihoon suddenly felt her heartbeat....was it fast because of the idea that Seungcheol and Jihoon could be together? She didn't cared, she opened the door and.....

 

She dropped the flowers....tears suddenly escaped her eyes.

 

ttatteushan nunmuri doeeo

heulleonaerigessjyo

gwaenchanhayo

geumbang jinagal sonagijyo

geunyang seuchyeo

 

Jihoon went out...she ran as fast as she can just to escape the reality that she saw...it was none other than....Sulli, kissing Seungcheol. It was like Jihoon's whole world collapsed, how could Seungcheol had this kind of impact to Jihoon? She should have known better, that her relationship with Seungcheol was uncertain, that ending was inevitable.



jinaganeun sonagijyo

geureon gamjeongijyo

na jeongmal

geudaereul manna

haengbokhaessdeon manheun chueokdeureul

 

Seungcheol had caught Jihoon, he asked why Jihoon was crying...rain started to fall....



bismure ilhji anhayo

naerineun biga

geuchil ttaejjeume

geuttae dasi mannayo

 

Mingyu came to the rescue, Jihoon didn't respond  to Seungcheol. Jihoon impulsively approached Mingyu she pretended she didn't saw Seungcheol and started kissing Mingyu in front of Seungcheol....



uri dasi useumyeo

hamkke isseulgeyo

ije geuman

da geuchilkka

 

Seungcheol started to punch Mingyu, Mingyu fought back while Jihoon tried her best to stop them.

 

"What the heck is wrong with you?" Jihoon angrily asked Seungcheol.

 

"What was that?" Seungcheol asked Jihoon.

 

i bismuldo

nae nunmuldo

bie jeojeo chuwie

tteolgo sipjin anhay

 

"Mingyu is my boyfriend...so back off!" Jihoon said. Seungcheol's heart was broken into pieces, he didn't knew how to react to that....



jeongmal eonjengan

neomu chadichassdeon bismuri

ttatteushan nunmuri doeeo

heulleonaerigessjyo

 

"But...I thought....I thought." Seungcheol started to stutter.

 

"What ever we had....it wasn't real right....let's end this before we start hurting each other....good bye for good...Seungcheol." Those were Jihoon's last words to Seungcheol, she left with Mingyu. They left Seungcheol....kneeling on the floor, pleading to Jihoon in the rain....that was the last time they saw each other....



gwaenchanhayo

geumbang jinagal sonagijyo

jigeumeun heumppeok jeojeogagoman issjyo

usaneul pil himjocha eopsneyo

 

Jihoon wiped the tears in her face...it was not worth it....she've been through a lot of pain...she was suddenly shocked why there was no raindrops falling on her....she turned around....



hajiman urin arayo

jamsiman ulgeyo

bismure gidaeeo

uriui seulpeun nunmureul

 

She was shocked to see Seungcheol....holding an umbrella. He was offering his umbrella to Jihoon. Now Seungcheol was the one being soaked in the rain...



geudaega boji moshage

uri ije annyeong

ije geuman

da geuchilkka

 

"Stop crying....I'm here..." Seungcheol said with the most sincere smile he had. Jihoon started to burst into tears....Jihoon missed seeing Seungchel smile sincerely...



i bismuldo

nae nunmuldo

bie jeojeo chuwie

tteolgo sipjin anhayo

jeongmal eonjengan

neomu chadichassdeon bismuri

 

Seungcheol, who is outside of the umbrella, started to move his face near the umbrella while tilting the umbrella downward....he closed his eyes, so did the crying Jihoon. Seungcheol kissed the umbrella. Even though Seungcheol kissed the umbrella, to both of them...it felt like they were the one's who's genuinely kissing....their whole world went in a slow motion, like it stopped for a while. They focused ob their feelings....focused on the joy, sadness and longing they both have for each other.



ttatteushan nunmuri doeeo

heulleonaerigessjyo

gwaenchanhayo

geumbang jinagal sonagijyo

 

"Let's go....Woozi." Seungcheol said as he held Jihoon's hand.

 

 

 

(Author's note: The italicized one is Jihoon's flashback :) )