Chapter 5

A Perfect Song

When Jaehwan was approached to be part of Yong Joon Shin’s monthly project program, he immediately accepted without hesitation. He knew exactly what song he wanted to cover; it had been playing in his head ever since that night.

The night in Busan when they slept together.

 

My blanket feels like a cloud
So soft, it feels like I’m floating
Last night the sounds of our breathing was so beautiful
I have already overslept this morning

 

They stared at the single king-sized bed strategically placed in the middle of the room.

“I’ll sleep on the couch,” Jaehwan offered, after a couple of moments’ silence.

She frowned as she walked around to the side of the bed. “That’s kind of silly though, considering that this is such a large bed!”

“It’s no big deal,” Jaehwan shrugged as he took a step closer. “I’m sure I could fit...”

“We’re both adults,” she mused as she picked up and hugged a pillow. “I think we can handle this…” She bit her bottom lip as she peeked at him. “Right?”

Jaehwan drew a breath and raised his left palm, as if taking an oath. “I will be on my best behaviour,” he said solemnly.

“As long as Eunji does not snore,” he added.

He broke out into laughter as the pillow whizzed towards him.

 

The exchanges of our languages of love pass through my ears
And I felt my whole body tremble
Of all the conversations I’ve had until now
That was the most electric, I think I’m addicted

 

Eunji does not snore, Jaehwan was certain of that. He knew that even before they slept together.

They were holed up in his small practice room in Jellyfish having their vocal lesson, and Jaehwan was getting frustrated. He was practicing for his solo stage for an upcoming fan meet, and was getting stuck tripping over some of the lyrics.

Halfway through he felt her rest her head on the chicken pillow he had on his lap, but he did not take much notice; he was conscious that the fan meet was looming up and he was anxious that he could not make the perfect stage in time. She often used some part of his body as her pillow anyway – that usually signaled that their vocal lesson was over.

It was only a while later that he realized she had silently fallen into a deep sleep in his lap, despite his noisy practice.

On instinct, he pulled out his jacket and carefully spread it over her sleeping frame – he knew she got cold easily. After that, he could not help himself but gently sweep the hair that was falling over her face and tucked it behind her ear. He felt like an idiot for smiling as he did that; but he could not help it. 

Watching her sleep peacefully in his lap was like transporting him to another world, melting away all his frustrations and anxieties.

 

I don’t ever want to wake up
It’s clear when I close my eyes I’m only focused on you
When I look into your eyes I see myself honestly
I like how I am too, very much
You’re the jewel that I have finally found

 

Jaehwan stepped out of the shower to see her lying on one side of the bed, fiddling with her phone. She looked up and smiled at him as she put her phone away, patting the empty space on the bed beside her.

“Time to sleep?” She offered as she settled herself under the covers.

Jaehwan returned her smile as his heart pounded. It’s just sleep, he told himself as he turned down the lights. Nothing else. Although with his adrenaline so high, he wondered if he would be able to fall asleep, if at all.

He climbed onto the bed, and before he could think better of it, crawled over to her, and gave her a brief kiss on her lips.

“Goodnight, Eunji,” he said softly, and forced himself to pull away.

He settled himself back on his side of the bed and closed his eyes, attempting to bring his heart rate back to normal. One thousand, two thousand, three thousand… He counted slowly.

The rustling of sheets distracted him, and his eyes snapped open.

But not before he felt her soft lips against his cheek.

“Goodnight, oppa,” she whispered.

Darn it.

All his counting went to waste.

 

Though I’ll be late, I’ll be happy all day
The shower will feel good
I’ll be surprised by how I’ve changed
Spraying a celebratory perfume at my reflection in the mirror
I have you now, I’ll see you later

 

Of course they touched.

Somehow through the night, they gravitated towards each other, and wound up practically hugging each other in their sleep. There was not one moment throughout the night that they were not physically touching in some way – her head on his chest, his hand on her hip, his face nuzzled in her neck, her legs wrapped around his.

There was just something safe about each other that even in their subconscious state, they still found their way to one another.

Almost like soul mates.

 

In the white square you left, there’s only your scent
Filled with your scent that only I know
This is only the beginning
We have so many days ahead of us
Look at me like how you did yesterday

 

“Oppa?”

“Hmm?”

Silence.

Jaehwan opened his eyes and turned towards her… only to find her staring at him, giggling.

“What’s so funny?” He couldn’t help but feel a smile form on his face too.

“Do you know when you stare hard enough at someone, they will somehow turn and look at you?” She said excitedly.

“I just did that with you!”

 

I don’t ever want to wake up
It’s clear when I close my eyes I’m only focused on you
When I look into your eyes I see myself honestly
I like how I am too, very much
You’re the jewel that I have finally found

 

Jaehwan doesn’t remember much about his dreams.

He knew he often had them; he would wake up disoriented sometimes and had to look around his room to be reminded that he was back into reality.

But as much as he tried to think back and remember, his dreams always floated away.

 

Though I’ll be late, I’ll be happy all day
The shower will feel good
I’ll be surprised by how I’ve changed
Spraying a celebratory perfume at my reflection in the mirror
I have you now, I’ll see you later

 

Earlier on when he said that they slept together, Jaehwan meant it as literally that – sleep. Getting rest, possibly dreaming, side-by-side, on the same bed.

Waking up to see her sleeping beside him – the sunlight reflecting off her hair and lighting up her features – it was an image that would remain in his memory forever.

It was the only time he remembered his dream.

----------

- Oversleep by Jaehwan/Ken (VIXX) from Yoon Jong Shin Monthly Project: May 2016