Between Politics and Good Morals Pt. 1

Calloused Pathos

"Well, I wished you haven't picked up the phone."


Sunggyu turns his head a little, hesitant to say something, but instead, his body moved on its own and shut the door behind him. He leans on the wall and releases a deep sigh with his eyes closed. "Having a hard time, I guess?" Sunggyu jumps a little and looks around, he was a little startled by the voice. It was very eary in the morning, and no one was around yet. Hospitals could be scary sometimes. He looks in front of him, and sees a man in uniform leaning on the wall, his lazy eyes fixed on him. "Myungsoo. What are you doing here?" Sunggyu asks in a soft voice, and it made Myungsoo's heart calm down a bit. "Just doing my duty." He shrugs it off, and Sunggyu just chuckles.


"You know I can handle it." Sunggyu replies, as he tried to find something in his pocket. "I was kidding. I wanted someplace quiet, so I went here." Myungsoo looks down on where Sunggyu was rummaging, and finally, he pulls out something after a few more seconds. "Found it!" Sunggyu hands over a small keychain, and Myungsoo takes a good look at it. "I went home walking this one time, and I happen to see this on a street shop. I thought you'd like it." Myungsoo takes it from Sunggyu's hand, and views it on his palm. It was a small dslr keychain, and it was a combination of brown and black. Myungsoo nonchalantly placed it inside his pocket and looked away.


"Well, out of all the quiet places in this hospital, why would you be in front of my patient's room?" Sunggyu asks as he scanned Myungsoo for any clue, but he couldn't find any. "Why do you think would I be here in front of your patient's room out of all the quiet places in the hospital?" Myungsoo turns his statement into a question, and Sunggyu couldn't help but scratch his head. "Sorry. Right. You wanted to see me." Sunggyu chuckles. "Well, I'm leaving."


"What? Already?" Myungsoo turns around and walks away from Sunggyu. He raises his hand and waves it once to say goodbye. "Aigoo, you cool kid. I'm still older than you!" Sunggyu shouts as Myungsoo disappeared from his sight. He takes a deep breath, and exhales. It hit him that he was once back to reality. "Reality, huh?" Sunggyu thought, remembering the man behind the door. "I'll show you reality."


--


A few hours later, Sunggyu was standing in front of Woohyun's door once again. He was holding his food tray and on it was a small medicine tray, and was thinking what he should say first once he enters. "Alright." He whispers to himself, and finally opens the door.


"Time to eat." Sunggyu blankly tells him, and Woohyun doesn't seem to pay him any attention. Sunggyu put the tray on the lower part of the bed, just to make sure he doesn't flip it over because of his temper against him. "Hey, Woohyun. You have to eat if you want to get out of here." Sunggyu picks up his medicine and places it on the table beside Woohyun. He also put out a syringe and a medicine bottle. "You're actually forbidden to use morphine. But it looks like you need it." Sunggyu opens the new syringe and prepared the fluid.


Woohyun on the other hand, doesn't move an inch. He remains his eyes closed, even though he was awake. He was observing, trying to know how this man would act around him. Maybe someday, he could outsmart him and escape the hospital. But he wasn't so sure, especially that he already finished what he was living for.


"You have to get up. You need to drink your medicine." Sunggyu shakes him a little, and Woohyun's forehead crease, annoyed by the doctor's concern. He sits up, takes the medicine on the tray, and drinks it up. Sunggyu takes Woohyun's arm, but Woohyun quickly pulls it away. "I have to inject your morphine if you want to feel better." Sunggyu tells him, and Woohyun ignores him and lies down the bed.


"I don't need your help. How many times do I have to tell you that?" Woohyun shuts his eyes once again, and faced away from Sunggyu. "Okay, fine. But in one condition." Sunggyu put the syringe aside, somewhere clean, of course. "Tell me the reason why you had to do it." Sunggyu sits down on the chair beside him, and waits for his answer. A few moments pass, and silence was the only thing that answered him. "Don't want to? Then I won't stop bothering you. I'll get you some tea. It would help you-"


"I did it for justice." Woohyun suddenly speaks, and Sunggyu felt quite happy. He was finally having a hold of him. "Justice? For what?" Sunggyu presses further, and waits for Woohyun to reply again. "Not long ago, some bastards killed an innocent man, and a woman who lived a life she did not deserve. I did it for them."


"And those bastards you mean... the doctor and the son of a businessman?" Sunggyu asks gently, trying not to annoy him and lose the conversation. "Yes. Like I said, I don't need your help. I'm going to confess the truth anyways. I don't care what happens to me after, because I've already done what I swore my life to." Sunggyu gently takes his arm, and surprisingly, Woohyun doesn't resist at all. He gets the syringe beside him, and injects the morphine. Sunggyu remains quiet, and so did Woohyun. It went on like that for a few minutes, before Sunggyu finally stood up.


"You're not a bad man. You simply did what you think was best." Sunggyu picks up the medicine tray and heads to the door. "Sometimes, doing the wrong things are actually the right ones." Sunggyu looks down, before finally leaving the room.


--


Woohyun wakes up because of a noisy tapping sound. He sits up and looks around, but sees nothing unusual. He looks at the time, and it was two o'clock in the morning. He looks out the window, to see a bird hitting its beak on the glass.


Suddenly, the door opens and was quickly shut. He couldn't see who it was since the room's lights we're turned off, so he just stared at the figure, trying to identify it. "Hey. I guess you're feeling better." A familiar voice speaks out, and Woohyun knew who it was. "What do you want this time?" Woohyun asks, irked that this doctor just won't stop bothering him.


"You need to quiet down. I'm helping you escape."

 

Thank you for the new subscribers! And thank you also for the comments. I really appreciate it.


Well, does this chapter give you an idea where it's going? Comment down if you have a theory!