Pity or Purity

Calloused Pathos

"Ah. You're finally conscious."


He blinked his eyes as he tried to regain his vision. He looked around and felt that his entire surroundings were spinning. Not longer, he felt his head ache, followed by the jolt of pain from his whole body. He looks at the person who was talking earlier, and finally got a clear view of him.


"I guess you're awake now." The man chuckles, as he tried to focus more on his face. Sooner, his vision was back to normal and stared at the man cautiously. "No need for the glare. You're in the hospital, so I doubt someone would handcuff you here." He picks up a glass on the end table not far from him, and fills it with water. "I suggest you minimalize your movements. Your body needs to rest." He walks beside him and hands him the glass of water. "I'm Sunggyu, if ever you're wondering."


Woohyun stares at the glass before taking it, took a sip, his eyes shifting back on him. Sunggyu takes a seat beside him, and examined him silently. "Feeling better?" Sunggyu asks, and Woohyun just put down the glass on the side table. "Am I being scary? Or have I damaged a part of your voice box while we were in surgery?" Sunggyu chuckles and stands up from his seat, and walks towards the table where the pitcher of water was on. Beside it was Woohyun's medical records, and Sunggyu picked it up and lifted the topmost paper, seemingly reading more information about him.


"Well, just to let you know, they were suppose to arrest you today." Sunggyu looks back at Woohyun, who was looking at him with disinterest. "I told them that you couldn't be arrested just yet, your injuries are still quite fresh, so they left you with me for three days." Sunggyu walks to the side of the bed, and looks at him with a warm gaze. "I guess you really aren't talking." He put down his records on the side table, and sits on the chair right next to him.


"They can be really demanding, to be honest. I'm not really sure if I blew them off. But don't worry, if they come, I'll take care of it." Just then, a knock on the door was heard. It was quite forceful, so Sunggyu could tell who it was. "Now, will you cooperate?" Sunggyu whispers in his ear, and Woohyun doesn't move an inch. His look was as disinterested as he was moments ago. "Just stay like that. You're doing well already." Sunggyu gives him a pat on the back, and heads to the door. He fixes his coat, takes a deep breath, and opens the door.


"May I help you?" Sunggyu asks with his calm voice, and Woohyun tries to peek on the small opening. All he could see was Sunggyu's back, so he gave up on trying to know, since he knew they'd come in anyway. "We're here to question the culprit." A man replied, and Sunggyu placed his palm on the wall, seemingly getting ready to support his weight, just in case he would need to slam the door. "I'm afraid you cannot do that. I already made it clea-"


Sunggyu was pushed back by two police officers, and Woohyun felt a bit of irk feeling. "You gave us a hard time, lad." The policeman says to him with his deep voice, and the other policeman sat beside him, holding some papers. "You need to answer our questions, and you should, unless you want it to be painful." He laughs at him, followed by the laugh of his partner. "I'm sorry, but he doesn't speak. He doesn't even reply to my questions." Sunggyu says from behind, and both officers look at him with a nonchalant look. "Shut up, doctor. Don't meddle with our business."Sunggyu put both of his hands in his coat's pockets and leans on the wall to his right. "But he is my business. And I'm not lying. He's in shock. Most people in shock don't spe-"


"Get on with it." Another voice entered the room, and all three were somehow confused on where it came from. Sunggyu slowly shifts his eyes at Woohyun, who was looking at him with a disgusted look, and from there, he felt a part of him being thrown back. "What do you want to ask me? I don't have all day." Woohyun finally speaks louder, and both policemen nodded in response.


"Well, to make things clear. You have killed two men, am I right?" Woohyun was directly looking at the policeman's eyes, full of disinterest, as if he experienced this a million times in his life. "One of them were a businessman's son, and another was a doctor." Sunggyu's eyes widen a bit as he heard the policeman say it, but he knew he needed to keep his cool. He shouldn't lose his cool, or else he might lose Woohyun's trust, considering the man he is.


"Yes. That's true." Woohyun looks out the window, and then looks around his room. Sunggyu's eyes remain glued on Woohyun. "I know we aren't in the court yet, but...why did you murder those two?" The policeman asks as he scratched the back of his head, and Woohyun remains silent. "Hey, you hear me?" He says again, waving his hand in front of Woohyun's face. "I think he meant you should leave now." Sunggyu enters their conversation, trying his best to get them out. "Get out now, before I call for security."


"Excuse me, doctor. Your 'security' that you call is also a part of our police." He chuckles and elbows his partner to laugh. "Well it doesn't mean that they are a part of your police, they would be disrespectful and be fools like you, don't you think?" Sunggyu smiles a bit at them, and the two policemen couldn't help but frown. "Whatever, doctor. Whatever you do, that man's going to be hanged for his crime." Both policemen leave the room and as soon as Sunggyu shut the door, he released a heavy sigh.


"Why did you talk when I needed you not to?" Sunggyu says half-jokingly, as he fixed the furniture that the policemen purposely messed up as they questioned him. "I told you I'd take care of it." Sunggyu adds. "I don't need your help. It was stupid of you to think you can handle me." Woohyun replies coldly, and Sunggyu halts from what he's doing. "Stupid...?" Sunggyu says in his head, confused. He walks to Woohyun's side and looks at him with a quite serious gaze. "Why would you think it's stupid? You're injured, and I'm your doctor. Any stress is irrelevant for your health. I did that because-"


"Because you think you can? To impress me? To let me realize that I'm in good hands?" Woohyun cut him off his sentence, as Sunggyu's words have been left at the tip of his tongue. "Yes." He replies after a few moments of silence, and Woohyun finally sat up his bed. "Yes? Goodness, shut up." Woohyun replies, annoyed that the fact that someone was actually willing to maintain their pride even if their ego was obviously stepped on. "No, I won't shut up. Now, you listen. I did that because you are my patient. You are my responsibility. And as your doctor, it is my privilege to make sure no one harms you while you are under my care."


"Privilege? What bull." Woohyun tells himself. He closes his eyes and falls back on his pillows. He doesn't plan to listen any longer. "You may be a criminal, but that doesn't stop me from doing my job. And that doesn't stop me to treat you like any other patients." Sunggyu replies in a serious manner. "Ah. I never heard this one before. But doesn't mean you're being kind to me, it would make me 'softer' or 'change' to a better person. This isn't some movie, doctor. This is reality." Woohyun replies, quite annoyed at himself for answering, though he really doesn't know why he did.


"Okay, fine. But the same goes to you. It doesn't mean you're being all cold to me, I'll stop being nice. This isn't a movie after all, and I'm barely an actor. This is reality. So I hope you could at least be grateful, because if I didn't pick up the phone before you arrive, you would have been dead by now." Sunggyu grabs Woohyun's medical records and goes to the door. He was about to leave when Woohyun spoke again.


"Well, I wished you haven't picked up the phone."

 

 

---

 

Thank you for those who subscribed to my story. I'm really grateful. (<---unlike woohyun)


Comment down if you have any thoughts about it! It would be gladly appreciated.