Star

I ALMOST DO

 

On the table near the window of a small restaurant, Amber stared blankly on her small notebook. Her fingers held that black pen since minutes ago but not a single letter was written on there. She tried to write a song but nothing popped up in her mind. She even didn’t focus at all since the first second she sat on that chair and opened her small notebook. Her mind was going everywhere. Suddenly a familiar voice called her name, forced her to end her small daydream.

 

“Amber!” A long haired girl approached Amber’s table. She quickly took a seat in front of Amber. “Sorry, I’m late. I need to finish stuffs at company.” She took of her shades and put it on the table. “Have you waiting for a long time?”

 

Amber blinked once she saw her friend was coming. “Hello, Hyuna.” She flashed a smile to greet Hyuna. “It’s okay. I just came too.” Amber quickly put down her pen and closed her notebook. She tossed them inside her backpack.

 

“Have you ordered something?” Hyuna asked her again.”

 

Amber shook her head lightly. “Not yet. I’m waiting for you so we can order it together.”

 

“Awww, Am. That’s so sweet of you.” Hyuna grinned as she waved her hand to call the waitress.

 

A waitress approached them. They started to order their lunch in a moment. Then the waitress left their table. They continued their conversation again.

 

“It’s been a while since the last time we hanged out together, Am.” Hyuna smiled happily. “I’m so happy you called me and asked me for lunch.”

 

Amber nodded and smiled. “Yes, Hyunnie. It has been a while. I’m also happy that you didn’t turn down my request.”

 

Hyuna chuckled softly. “How can I say no for my best friend? Of course I will try my best to give my little time to you even in my busy schedules, as long as I’m still on Seoul. Your name is on my important list, you know.”

 

Amber couldn’t help but grinned. “Thank you. You make me feel important now.”

 

“Anytime, Amber.” Hyuna leaned closer. “So? What can I help for you?”

 

“Help?” Amber blinked. “Uhh… to accompany me during my lunch time, obviously.” She laughed uneasy.

 

Hyuna rolled her eyes. “Amber, please. We know each other for years. You won’t call me with that desperate voice if it’s just for having lunch with me. Spill it, Girl. What’s happened?” She looked at Amber’s eyes.

 

The tomboy girl looked at Hyuna’s eyes for a moment before letting out a soft sigh. “How, Hyunnie? Does everything is written overall my face?”

 

“Didn’t I tell you before that you look like an opened book?” Hyuna rested her chin on her palm. “So, what’s happened?”

 

“I don’t know what to say, Hyuna.” Amber folded her arms on table and rested her chin on them. “I don’t know where to start.”

 

Hyuna frowned a bit. “Okay. Let me help you, Girl. First of all, how was your sleep last night? Did you sleep well for eight hours straight?” 

 

Amber shook her head. “I barely had nice sleep. Recently I only slept for three till four hours per day.”

 

Hyuna widened her eyes. “Oh, Girl. That’s horrible. No wonder you got that panda’s eyes. You need to sleep more. What did you do till you being like this?” She gasped softly as she covered . “Could it be?” She leaned closer and whispered. “Did you prepare stuffs for comeback?”

 

Amber hesitated a bit before answering it. “Kinda…” A smile gradually formed on Hyuna’s face, but it instantly faded away after hearing Amber’s next words. “But I can’t focus with those preparations. I tried to make a song but I even couldn’t think about the lyrics. It used to flow out easily from my mind to paper.”

 

“Oh, Am.” Hyuna patted Amber’s head lightly. “It’s okay. Maybe you need to take some rest. Have a break for few days, Am. Go to somewhere to find a lot of inspirations. I believe you can write new songs after finishing your little vacation.”

 

Amber smiled at her best friend. “Thanks, Hyunnie.”

 

“Anytime, Am.” Hyuna beamed once she saw the waitress approached them with a tray of meals. “I think our lunch is ready now.”

 

Amber straightened her back as she noticed a waitress stood on the side of their table. Both of those girls smiled happily as their meals already served on the table. They prayed for a moment before digging their lunch. Suddenly they started being quiet, enjoying their lunch before resuming their talk.

 

“How are you doing, Hyunnie?” Amber asked her after finishing their lunch. “Seem like you’ve been busy recently. Do you will have another comeback this year?”

 

Hyuna sipped her drink before answering it. “Shorta. But for next year.” She pressed her lips with her finger. “Keep it as secret, okay?” She winked before laughing softly.

 

Amber grinned. “I know.” She moved her hand and acted like zipping . “I’ll look forward for it.”

 

“Me too, Am. I can’t wait to see your next comeback.” Hyuna raised her cup. “For our next comeback!”

 

Amber raised her cup and hit it gently to Hyuna’s cup. “For our next comeback! I hope everything will run well as planned.”

 

“So do I.” Hyuna smiled as both of them drank their own drinks.

 

The two rapper girls started chatting again. They threw silly jokes to each other and ended up with a fine laugh from both parties. Their laugh attracted some attentions from other visitors, including two boys that just arrived to that restaurant. The one with black beanie ordered their take-out food to the cashier while the black haired boy turned his head to the source of that joyful laugh. The black haired boy squint his eyes before blinking many times to the girls’ direction. Then he tugged slightly the other boy’s sleeve.

 

“Yano…” The black haired boy called the older one.

 

The black beanie boy paid their order before turning his head to the younger one. “What? You want to order more?”

 

“No. It’s not about the food.” The black haired boy answered.

 

“Then what?” The black beanie boy pushed his wallet back into his jeans pocket.

 

The black haired one pointed his finger into a certain direction. “Isn’t that Amber noona? Oh, and Hyuna noona too.”

 

The black beanie boy looked at that direction then gave the another one a light smack on his head. “Call them properly. They’re our seniors after all.”

 

“Hey…” The black haired boy whined as he rubbed his head. 

 

“Let’s greet them.” The black beanie boy dragged the other one to the girls’ table.

 

“But, what if we disturb them?” asked the black haired boy.

 

“We won’t.” The black beanie boy assured him. “We just greet them like few seconds and then we sit on another table.”

 

“If you say so…” The other one nodded in agreement.

 

The black beanie boy coughed softly as both of them stood in front of the girls. “Hello, Hyuna sunbaenim, Amber sunbaenim.” They bowed politely.

 

The girls suddenly surprised. They quickly stood up and returned the bow to the boys. “Hello”, greeted Hyuna and Amber.

 

“I never saw you before. Are you a new debuted group?” Hyuna asked.

 

“They’re not.” Amber tilted her head. “I think I saw them before but I don’t remember where and when.”

 

“We are from Topp Dogg. We debuted few years ago.” The black beanie boy explained. “I’m A-Tom and this is…”

 

“I’m Yano, Sunbaenims”, said the black haired boy. “Maybe Amber sunbaenim forgot but our group was performed on a concert that you hosted years ago.”

 

“Aaah.” Hyuna nodded.

 

Amber’s eyes widened once she heard their group name. Topp Dogg. That name made her got a mini heart attack. But she blinked her eyes quickly to cover her surprised expression. The boyish rapper nodded and smiled.

 

“Let’s sit.” Amber invited them to join her table.

 

“Is it okay?” asked Yano. “I’m afraid that we disturb your talk.”

 

“It’s okay.” Hyuna replied. “Please sit down.”

 

The boys nodded slightly as they pulled the seats and sat in front of the girls. Hyuna and Amber also sat back to their own seats.

 

“Topp Dogg, huh?” Amber tried to dig information about her long lost fiancé from his groupmates. “I think I slightly remember now. You guys have a lot of members.” She turned her head to Hyuna. “Like Super Junior, Hyunnie.”

 

“Wow! You seem know them more than me, Am”, praised Hyuna.

 

“It’s nothing.” Amber chuckled. “I was the MC on that event. The crews gave me the performances list and I didn’t know a couple names there, so I searched them on internet. When I searched Topp Dogg, my phone showed me their group pictures.”

 

“As expected from our dedicated MC.” Hyuna chuckled. 

 

“We are happy that Sunbaenim still remember a bit of us”, said A-Tom.

 

“We was like Super Junior sunbaenim when we were debuted.” Yano told them. “We originally had third teen members but currently on our latest comeback, our members were decreased into nine.”

 

“Nine?” Amber surprised. “Why?”

 

“You guys still new and there’s a reformation inside the group already?” Hyuna asked.

 

A-Tom flashed a smile. “Yes, with their individual reasons.”

 

“But we can’t tell you about their reasons.” Yano added quickly.

 

“It’s okay. We understand. It’s internal matters.” Hyuna sipped her drink.

 

“Yeah.” Amber nodded.  She tried to think another way to ask about Jenissi to them.

 

“Sunbaenim, you two seemed having a fun talk. Did you discuss about you collaboration?” asked A-Tom.

 

“It’s not. We just had common lunch. We don’t talk about work at public place.” Amber replied him quickly.

 

“Yeah.” Hyuna nodded. “But it’s a good idea, Am! Let’s plan about our collaboration after we’re less busy.”

 

Amber nodded. “Sure thing, Hyunnie!” She smiled at the red haired boy. “Thanks for the idea, A-Tom ssi.”

 

“It’s nothing.” A-Tom smiled shyly. “But I’m glad I can give a little help.”

 

“But why only two of you that came here? Where are your members?” asked Hyuna.

 

“They’re at dance practice room. We’re in the charge of buying food today”, said Yano.

 

“Ah, practicing for your recent comeback?” asked Amber. The boys nodded slightly. “Congratulations. I hope it will be success.”

 

“Thank you, Sunbaenim”, replied the boys as they bowed slightly.

 

“Umm… Yano ssi…” called Amber.

 

“Yes, Sunbaenim?” asked Yano.

 

“By any chance, did you have a duet song with a male rapper?” asked Amber that made everyone turned their head to her. “Cause I feel like your voice slightly similar with one of singers of a song I used to listen.”

 

“Probably, Sunbaenim. I know Yano had lot of duet songs…” A-Tom replied and Yano quickly stepped A-Tom’s feet. The older one cringed in pain. “You…” He whispered, asking for some mercy from Yano.

 

“Eh? Really?” The girls surprised.

 

Yano sent a death glare to A-Tom before flashing a polite smile to the girls. “Not that much. A-Tom just exaggerated it. I just did few mixtapes for fun. But I’m kinda curious with the song you mentioned before, Amber sunbaenim. May I know the title’s song?”

 

“Hmm… Wait.” Amber fished her phone out from her backpack. “I forget its title but I think I still haven’t moved it into my PC yet.” She scrolled her playlist.

 

“I’m even more curious to the source of that song.” Hyuna squint her eyes. “How did you get that song into your phone?”

 

“Uhhh…” Amber replied without looking at her best friend. “Cordi eonnie played this song and I loved it so I asked her to send that song to my phone. Oh! Here!” She pressed the play button and in few second Jenissi’s calming rap greeted them. “The tittle is…”

 

“Star”, said Yano and Amber in unison.

 

“Yes. It’s one of my mixtape projects.” Yano smiled widely. “But I’m just featured here. This song originally owned by Jenissi hyeong. Thank you for loving this song, Sunbaenim.”

 

“Ah, memories.” A-Tom mumbled.

 

“It’s indeed a good song.” Hyuna nodded. “Why you didn’t release it commercially? It can be a hit though.”

 

“It is.” Yano nodded. “But Jenissi hyeong decided to put it into his mixtape album. What could I do?”

 

“Listening this makes me miss him more”, said A-Tom.

 

“Eh? Why?” Amber asked. Finally would spill up something she didn’t hear from him before.

 

“He left Topp Dogg for pursuing his solo career.” A-Tom pouted slightly. “It has been months since he left Seoul too.”

 

WHAT? TAEYANG LEFT TOPP DOGG? WHY HE DIDN’T TELL ME ABOUT THIS? Amber screamed in her mind but she tried her best to control her surprised-mad expression. “Ah, I see.” Amber nodded. “But you guys still keep in touch with him, right?”

 

The boys shook their head. “Actually, we lost contact with him few weeks after his leaving”, said Yano.

 

“Oh!” Hyuna mumbled.

 

“But sometime when we talked about Jenissi hyeong at dorm, we jokingly said that he did a secret wedding, or something like that, with his secret girl and both of them started their marriage life on a small village somewhere.” A-Tom added.

 

“A marriage?” Amber couldn’t control her surprised expression again.

 

The boys chuckled slightly. “It’s just joke between us, Sunbaenims. He won’t get married if all of us aren’t there. He promised it to us before, and he always fulfilled his promises”, said Yano. “But there’s a possibility that he will get married soon since he has a girlfriend few months after our debut.”

 

“Girlfriend?” Amber asked again. “Who?”

 

“It must be hard to have that kind of relationship and date secretly.” Hyuna commented.  

 

“We never knew. Jenissi hyeong never introduced or mentioned about his girlfriend to us.” A-Tom recalled. “Hyeong only said that he didn’t want to reveal that girl till their wedding day. He was afraid that one of us would steal away that girl from him.” He chuckled. 

 

“And we thought that girl was just his imaginary girlfriend till one day he shown up with a faint of strawberry scent all over his attires. It seems like a girl perfume.” Yano added.

 

“He sounds like a funny man.” Hyuna mumbled.

 

“He does.” Amber nodded slowly. A faint smile crept on her face once she heard Yano’s words.

 

In the next second, a waiter approached their table and handed the boys’ orders. Yano and A-Tom quickly stood up and said thank you to the waiter as they took their orders. 

 

“It’s time for us to go. Nice meeting you here, Sunbaenims.” Yano bowed and smiled.

 

“Nice meeting you here, Sunbaenims.” A-Tom copied Yano acts.

 

Hyuna and Amber stood up and returned the bow. “Nice meeting you too.”

 

The boys left the restaurant while the girls sat back to their seats. Amber ended the playing song and threw back her phone into her backpack. Hyuna waved again to the waiter, asking for the bill.

 

“I will pay it!” Hyuna took out her wallet.

 

“Hey, what you do?” Amber quickly took out her wallet too. “I invited you here so it will be my treat!”

 

“Am, do you forget that you paid our last dinner?” asked Hyuna. “So it’s now my turn to pay the bill.” She smirked.

 

“Eh? Really?” Amber widened her eyes. “I forget it…” She slowly put her wallet back into her backpack.

 

Hyuna chuckled. “It’s okay.” She paid their bill before tossing her wallet into her bag. “Let’s hangout again!”

 

“Surely!” Amber smiled. “Where do you will go after this?”

 

“I think I will back to company.” Hyuna replied. “How about you, Am?”

 

“I think I will back to apartment. I can’t let my baby home alone.” Amber chuckled as she wore her backpack.

 

Hyuna chuckled as both of them stood up and walked out from the restaurant. “I hope Jackjack won’t give you another additional chore.”

 

“Nah! He’s a good boy. See you later, Hyunnie.” Amber hugged her best friend.

 

“See you later, Am.” Hyuna patted Amber’s back lightly. “Good luck with the lyrics.” She whispered before leaving Amber.

 

“Thanks.” Amber replied softly.

 

Amber turned to opposite direction. She headed to her apartment. Her head is lightly dizzy after hearing that new information about her long lost fiancé. He left his group. He left Seoul. He didn’t contact his ex-members. What the earth he was doing? Where did he go? Why he didn’t say any single word to her? Why?