Chapter-8

Perfect

 

The morning after, you woke up to the sound of the alarm on your phone. Swiping off the drool that had formed by your lips, you opened your eyes to the bright sunlight which almost blinded you. You sat up only to realize that you had fallen asleep on the living-room couch. That’s how tired you were yesterday.

Last night was a complete haze, except for the very clear recollection of you in Daehyun’s arms. You shook your head as the memory gushed by. Please let this be a dream.

It felt like nothing less than a hangover as you slowly massaged your temple and the nasal bridge with your left hand. The right hand was busy looking for the phone which still played the alarm tone. Once located under the pillow, you grab it and do the necessary which is turning the damned thing off.

The ‘Four new messages’ notification caught your attention and you pressed your thumb on the screen.

“Where are you!?!? Did you reach home yet? I am worried - Youngjae”

“Nvm Dae just got home. He looks sick though, what did you guys eat last night- Youngjae”

“You better be sleeping Ms. Clumsy if you are not replying to me!! -Youngjae “

A smile formed as you read through his texts. You were so puzzled and tired last night you forgot to text him even after he had reminded you so many times. So, you made a mental note to make it up to him, somehow. The fourth text though, wasn’t his.

“Hey, I know it’s late but I hope you are sleeping well. Anyway come see me direct at the TS building tomorrow. I have something important to tell you. Love you. -Dae”

Every species of butterfly that ever lived held a conference inside your stomach at that moment. What did he want to tell you? Your mind moved in circles while your body rotated in the opposite direction. The words “Love you” seemed so profound that it automatically blurred out the rest. But, even through all the excitement of the morning text you had waited for, his words seemed to have been typed out all too well. It was as if more thought had been put into this than he normally would have. It sounded plain and robotic. You couldn’t think of a reason your thoughts were processing such results, for all that mattered you should have been happy.

Unclear of what the day would be like, you had a proper breakfast and some hot tea. You needed this day to go your way. After breakfast was done, you made your way to the bedroom and began to look through all the dresses you owned. For reasons unknown, you wanted to look pretty today. Your usual slouchy self would just put on a t-shirt and jeans and just be comfortable, but vanity always had a price to pay. The white-and-blue striped top with a low v-cut neck and the short beige skirt looked promising as you inspected yourself in the mirror holding the clothes in front of you. It took minutes to change into them after which came the hard bit, make-up. You did not want to look like a circus clown of course, so you just put on some red lip tint and slightly dabbed your cheeks with the rouge blush.

 From your shoe closet which was basically the size of a mini fridge, you picked out a pretty laced sandal to match your skirt. Once you put them on, you did a slight twirl in front of the mirror, checking yourself out. You never thought you were beautiful, but you were satisfied. Packing everything necessary in your bag, you picked up your key which hung from the screw on the door and the pretty pink cardigan that hung next to it. What if it got chilly again?

On your way out you gave Jackson a quick call and asked him to join you at the park from where you’d get a taxi.

“Woah noona! You look so beautiful. Do you have a date?!” Jackson asked excitedly.

“NO!” you chuckled “I just woke up early and got bored. So I thought why not dress up a bit”

“Ah noona do you know how stupid that sounds. It’s okay it’s just me. Don’t say this to anyone else though” Jackson made the fake-disappointed face at you, which made you hit him with your purse.

“Just get into the cab you punk!” you shoved his head first in through the door of the car and then sat yourself on the seat beside him.

The car ride was noisy to say the least. Jackson kept on teasing about a date which, you couldn’t convince him, wasn’t happening. There were constant slaps and screams and laughs and you genuinely felt bad for your chauffeur till the ride was over.

You slowly pulled Jackson into the building flashing both your ID cards at the guard who eyed you with annoyance. The receptionist was nicer to the both of you. She guided you towards the canteen and informed you that that’s where B.A.P was seated. Both of you walked in with the pair of 6 eyes following your entrance. Their eyes widened at your appearance not expecting you to be so dressed up. You couldn’t help feel a little conscious at the way Daehyun was eyeing you. Do I look that horrible? I shouldn’t have dolled up.

Jackson threw himself into a hug with Zelo and Jongup, both of whom had stood up to welcome him. Just the second day and this crazy boy had already made friends. You bowed your greetings towards Yongguk and Himchan before turning to the two boys who had very different emotions painted on their faces.

“You look beautiful Aerum” Yongguk complimented you painting a darker shade of red on your face.

“I agree” Himchan added.

“Thank you” you bashfully smiled at them.

Taking the chair next to Jongup, you looked at Daehyun who forced a smile before placing his somber face back on again. Everything seemed alright last night, or you hoped it was. His caliginous eyes rose concern in you and you asked him the reason.

“Are you okay Dae? You don’t look too well. Did you sleep at all? Do you need meds?”

He looked up at you forcing every muscle on his face to do so.

“Yeah…I am okay” he said with the same forced smile again.

“I told you he looked sick, might be whatever you guys ate last night” Youngjae interrupted “Speaking of which you never replied to my texts”

“I’m so-“you began.

“Never mind. I’ll just punish you by not complimenting you even though you dressed up so well” he interrupted your honest plea as he made his way from the end of the room to all the way behind you. Slightly bending down, he brought his face next to yours before saying “…for me.”

Without even looking at him you could feel the smile that stretched from his left ear to his right. When your face lifted your gaze met Daehyun’s stare instead, making you gulp. His eyes were surrounded by dark circles and not by the usual puffy under-eye folds, which were honestly so beautiful. The corner of his mouth which always pointed upwards were now drooping, making his big juicy lips hang low. He was hurting but you couldn’t tell why and it was irritating. The fact that Youngjae was so close to your face momentarily escaped you as your best friend’s sad face took over your mind.

Ever since you both were kids you had learned to take care of each other, holding onto the flaps of the other’s jacket while drying out the tears in your eyes. Not being able to do so now was upsetting. Something was bothering him and you had no idea why.

“…erm…I’ll be back” Daehyun said as he suddenly jerked up from his seat, looking at the carpeted floor, “Actually just come by the conference room when I call you guys”

“Is it about the news you were going to break to us?” Jongup asked suffering from mutual confusion.

“Yeah. I have to…anyway just come by.” With those last words he left the room leaving everyone bewildered.

A compilation of his several faces played in your mind. Happy, sad, angry, sweet, loving, he is the only emotion you felt right then. All sorts of thoughts ran in your head before Youngjae broke your daze with his whisper.

“Btw you look absolutely beautiful today”

Your body shook in surprise as you turned to face his loving smile.

“Let’s start with the interviews okay? And don’t worry he is fine, just worried about something.”

Youngjae’s words made you want to hide between his arms and cry. He felt like a friend right then who understood your pain, your worry and you wanted him to comfort you. But, you couldn’t break down in front of him. After all you had just known him for a day and you did not want him to misunderstand your feelings for Daehyun.

One by one you conducted the interviews with the youngest ones as Zelo and Jongup showed you different dance moves. You found out how they come up with ideas for their choreographies and worked days and nights for them. They gelled so well as a team. Hours had passed just by chatting with the boys and through it all Youngjae never left your side, silently observing you. You were glad he was there because even though he was as much of a stranger as the others, he felt like an old friend.

“Youngjae hyung can go next!” Zelo yelled excitedly.

Even through all the stress and the thoughts of your best friend, you managed to smile.

“Okay you can go next.” You smiled at Youngjae.

But at as fate would have it, your phone flashed Daehyun’s number and one of his derpy selfies. Unconsciously you jumped at the sight and answered the call a little too eagerly.

“Hello”

“Aerum! Where are you??” a rather cheery voice replied. Daehyun seemed to be in a better mood than when he had left. “Are you in the practice room with the boys?”

“Dae…are you okay? I was worried sick!” you said as you exhaled the breath you have been holding for what seemed like hours.

“Awwh you are so cute! Stop worrying about me I’m a big boy! Ha ha” he said with a chuckle.

Why does this feel so weird?

“As if! I still have to feed you at times.” You retorted rather unwillingly

“Not anymore! Anyway come to the conference room with the rest of them I need to show you something…er..someone.” he said enthusiastically.

“Who…?” your eyes narrowed as you tried to understand his source of happiness.

“Oh my Gosh you talk so much just hurry!” with that he cut the call.

“What is it noona?” Zelo asked in an adorable voice even before you could gather your thoughts.

“Huh? Oh nothing. Dae wants to meet up in the conference with everyone. Jae I think we’ll have to do your interview later.” You said looking at the boy who looked at you with such mysteries in his eyes.

“That’s okay. Let’s go talk to him first” he said pointing at your phone. “By the way, I like that you call me Jae, way more than Mr. .” A smirk formed around his lips that otherwise bore a sweet smile.

“Let’s go.” You rolled your eyes at him before exiting the door.

He seemed so happy over the phone it made you smile as you followed the other boys to the destined room. Whatever problem he was going through he must have solved it and that brought you peace of mind. Finally when you would be going home together he’d be smiling instead of sulking. The particular thought made you giggle out loud earning you stares from the three boys in front of you. You shook your head as Youngjae raised his eye brow at you. This day was finally getting better like you had hoped.

On reaching the end of the corridor, Jongup held the door open as he led the rest of you into the room. Yongguk and Hiimchan were sat on one end of the table, their head dug deep in the laptop in front of them. To their left near the door, Jackson and Daehyun were seated with their chairs facing each other, chatting happily.

The room was very simple in design. There weren’t much furniture present apart from a full-size oval table in the middle and a projector pointed at the big screen that hung from the ceiling. Two of the bigger walls on the rectangular space were covered in a light coloured wood pattern, adorned with big portraits of several artists. It didn’t take long for you to find the picture of the six boys you have grown to love so much. They all huddled up together holding what seemed like their contract with the company, each of them held up a thumb portraying their unison. The skin under Daehyun’s eyes folded to one side as he winked at the camera, Youngjae with his broad smile right beside him. The four other boys divided themselves on either side of the two vocals. It was picture perfect.

Daehyun straightened up as soon as he saw you guys enter the room. His face looked as bright as ever.

“Aerum! Guys you are here” he shrieked.

You stood there observing your best friend for a while, with your head tilted to one side. He looked so handsome. You were so busy worrying about him that you hadn’t noticed how his striking good looks was in perfect coherence with his clothes. The black jacket, with red stripes around the collar, hugged around the simplicity of his light grey t-shirt. The material stuck to his skin revealing every curve on his torso, enhancing his ab-line. His skinny dark jeans wrapped themselves around his manly thigh and calf muscles, leaving much to one’s imagination. He really had grown up to be a fine-looking man.

“Aerum?” Daehyun clicked his fingers in front of your face. As you broke from the daze, you noticed that everyone else had taken their seats apart from you.

“Ah yeah…Sorry.” You replied before placing yourself beside Jackson where Daehyun was previously seated.

Daehyun’s eyes took a long good stare at you before making his way to the other side of the table, opposite to where the header and Himchan were seated.

He inhaled a deep breath before speaking clearing his mind of any unwelcomed thoughts.

“Since everyone is here I will begin.” He had everyone’s full attention. “Now I wouldn’t normally break this news to just anyone, but I trust you guys more than anyone in this world. You too, Jackson.”

A smile formed around the young boys face as Daehyun continued. “What I am about to tell you, you must keep a secret or else we will all be in trouble, at least B.A.P will be.”

What is he talking about? You knew from the look on everyone’s face that they were thinking the same. No one seemed to have any idea as to what he was implying and the adrenaline of mystery was slowly taking over.

 As the thoughts crowded everyone’s mind, the door knob suddenly turned and a figure stepped in presenting everyone with a bow. You immediately recognized her. She was the woman who was having a heated conversation with Daehyun the other day, the woman in green as you clearly remember. Today she was wearing a pink top and a mini blue skirt. The pearl on her necklace perfectly positioned itself on the floral pattern of her blouse. Everyone greeted her with a return bow, but you didn’t. Just at the sight of her, the insides of your stomach twitched to the point of tearing. You did not have a good feeling about this.

“Ah you are here. Come join me” Daehyun broke the awkwardness as you looked at him with questions in your eyes. He seemed to be doing a great job avoiding your gaze.

She slowly made her way next to him and he pulled her closer by the waist. Your body suddenly felt numb as you held on the corners of the chair for dear life, digging your nails deep inside the foam. The dizziness was rising from your toes to your brain at an incredible speed as you tried to stop every cell on your body from trying to comprehend the situation at hand. You trapped your bottom lip in between your teeth, biting hard, as if to compensate for the pain that formed under your chest.

You wanted to disappear.

“Everyone this is Eunjin” he paused to look her as a smile painted on his face “…my girlfriend”

As Daehyun declared his relationship ever so lightly, somewhere in this vast Universe, Aerum’s perfect little world had collapsed.