Chapter-3

Perfect

The car stopped in front of a rather narrow road. It was secluded, not busy like the other parts of the city. Come to think of it you had come all the way away from the city. Who could you be meeting here? It must be some A-list celebrity, you thought.

“I was told to drop you off here. They are in that café over there.” the driver informed.

“Yeah? Oh yeah, thank you.” You replied and got off the car with all your belongings.

The slim pathway that leads up to the café was made of colourful stones and pebbles. The buildings surrounding it were made of either red or grey bricks. Green leaves hanging from low branches shaded the whole way. Small shrubs grew on the sides decorated with big colourful stones at regular intervals. You couldn’t help but wonder why there weren’t more people visiting this gorgeous place. This was a picture perfect scene and you need to capture it. Taking your phone out you looked up to inspect the pretty pink flowers that had made their homes on nature’s umbrella. The sun from between the leaves caught your eye and blinded your vision for a second.

You brought the camera down and clicked a picture without being able to see much.

“Taking pictures without permission are we” a figure emerged in front of you as you looked up from the screen directly at the new presence.

You blinked your eyes a couple of times to clear your vision, but the man was inches away when you could finally see again. The sudden movement surprised you and made you jump back; trapping your foot on one of the rocks you were standing on. Without any warning your body gave up and fell back towards the stone. This was it, you thought. I am about to get stitches. Scared by the thought your whole body fastened and your eyes closed themselves. 

After what felt like hours, you opened your eyes to check whether you’d be waking up in a hospital bed. Surprisingly, you were still in the same position with an arm around your waist. You looked up to meet the gaze of your savior and saw the same man smiling brightly at you.

“Are you alright?” his honey like voice whispered.

“Yeaah..I am okay.” You said unwrapping yourself from the safe hands that had just saved you. “I am sorry I am a little clumsy but it wasn’t entirely my fault! You surprised me I mean who comes up to someone’s face like that!” you blabbered on.

He let out a little chuckle to which you blushed.

“Okay then. I’ll be the gentleman and say I am sorry. But, I did save your lovely head from bumping into those rocks” said the man still holding on to the smile.

“Alright I am sorry and thank you” you responded.

“Hi I am Youngjae. I am new singer.” The man introduced himself.

“..singer..? Oh I am Areum, I am a reporter here to interview some people”

“Ohh you are the reporter! This is amazing coincidence. Haha”

“Am I going to interview your group?” you asked baffled by the situation.

“Areum is a beautiful name btw. It literally means beautiful, suits you perfect.” He ignored your question again with the smile.

You blushed at the sudden compliment and he interrupted the awkwardness.

“Let’s go inside, hyung must be waiting” he led you towards the café.

ROSE CAFE

The name was written in pretty cursive and hung over the small wooden building. It was a perfect suit for the pink table cloths and white vase decorations. Each vase bore a rose of its own. It was perfectly serene.

You sat yourself down on one of the chairs while Youngaje took the seat opposite to you. Looking around for Jackson and scanning the whole café, your eyes finally rested on Youngjae.

“I am new to the group btw, just signed my contract last week. This interview will mainly be focusing on that. I guess they want the fans to be comfortable with my presence.” He paused for a while and then continued, “I am sure you know the rest of my members, they are famous.” He let out a sweet little laugh.

Just then, a voice from the back of the room caught both your attention. You swung your head around and saw the five men make their way towards you, one of them a breathing hazard to your existence.

Your jaw dropped when you saw Daehyun among the boys. He was wearing light blue faded jeans and a white shirt, the top two buttons undone. His silky brown hair fell perfectly on his forehead, covering his caramel skin. The other boys around him were all dressed like models on a runway show, completing the aesthetic picture. He squinted his eyes at you and you could see his smile disappear. Your heart pounded so hard it could tear its way out through the skin. Suddenly, everything was a blur.

“Yoo Youngjae where were you?” Himchan asked the boy across from you.

“Oh hyung I was just outside saving lives” he joked.

You shifted your gaze towards him, your face unable to bear any emotion. He got up from his chair and gestured you to do the same and you obeyed.

“This is Areum, our interviewer for the report. Doesn’t she have a beautiful name? I think it’s perfect for her.”

The look on Himchan’s face gave you the expression that he was already aware of who you were, not as the reporter, but as the person. He looked both shocked and distressed. He kept looking back and forth from you to Daehyun. Your eyes dropped to the floor, thinking that would be the best place to look for now.

The man you recognized as the leader of the group came forward and extended his hand. “Hi, I am Yongguk, the leader for B.A.P”

“I am aware. Nice to meet you Mr. Yongguk” you managed to politely reply.

“Please you don’t have to be so formal. Let me introduce you to the rest of them.”

He pointed at each of them and stated their names. Himchan, Jongup, Zelo, but you knew them all perfectly from the stories Daehyun had shared.

 He finally moved to the last boy who still looked like he had seen a ghost and said, “And this is Daehyun, the vocal of our group. You must know him, all the girls do.” He chuckled. You did not.

“I know.” You replied.

“What are you doing here ?” he demanded.

You tried to keep calm and not lash out at him. Every bit of your existence wanted to ask him why he didn’t answer his phone or text back. He usually sent a text saying he’s busy so that you are informed. But he said nothing since last night. So you tried harder to not show the shower of emotions going through you.

“That is no way to talk to someone Dae!” Yongguk growled.

“I asked what you are doing here Areum?!” Daehyun asked still with the same look in his eyes, directed at you.

The sound of your name on his lips should have made you happy. It always did. A sense of safety always surrounded it, but not this time. This time it sounded harsh and painful.

“Oh I will be the reported for your interview..I guess. I just told I will be interviewing someone but wasn’t informed about the group before. Had I known I would have let you know earlier.”
How? You wouldn’t answer my call.

“You two know each other?” Youngjae finally asked on behalf of everyone’s curiosity.

“Yeah” you answered, agreeing to Daehyun’s silence. “We have been best..erm..friends since 3rd grade”

“Wow that is amazing news. I cannot believe our luck. You can’t really trust reporters these days. They’ll write anything to trigger the readers, but since you are our Daehyunnie’s best friend we can trust you. We can trust you right?” said Yongguk with a smile.

“You can trust me” you smiled back.

“Btw Areum noona your best friend is such a lazy person. He told us he’d find the place for the initial meeting with the reporter, which is you” Zelo pointed at your direction, “but he didn’t tell us he had already found it in the morning and had been slouching off ever since.”

So he wasn’t busy? He was just ignoring me. You looked at Daehyun and he looked down without meeting your eyes.

“He can be like that” your fake smile fooled them.

“So let’s get started. We are all busy people after all” Himchan gestured towards the table you and Youngjae were seated at. Everyone took their seats, Daehyun finding the one farthest away from you.

Why are you complicating things Dae?