Perfect. Chapter -1

Perfect

“Come on! I don’t want to have dinner alone! Just one more hour” You said holding the door open.

“You say that every day. Plus I have practice early tomorrow morning.” Daehyun said calmly even though he wanted to stay by his best friend more than you wanted him to.

“Fine then. Leave.” You said stepping inside the small apartment and pulling the door shut behind you.

*Ding dong*

The evilest smile painted on your face when the door bell rang. You knew it would happen sooner than later. You jerked open the door putting on your best acting face and yelled, “What do you want?!?!”

“Wow it’s as if you were waiting for me to ring the bell”, Daehyun said shoving his backpack on to your arms. “You owe me ”.

“Shut up! Like you would have had dinner all by yourself anyway. I am doing this for your own good.”

Daehyun’s lips formed a smile while he had his back to you. You were right, he would have just slammed his body on the bed and snored his night away. It was comforting to know there was someone who cared.

He made his way to the couch on the living room while you moved to the kitchen and placed his bag in one corner of the counter. You quickly scrambled two eggs into a bowl, added onions and a pinch of salt and set up the frying pan to heat. Once it had hit perfect temperature you poured in the egg carefully creating a big circle of egg puddle on the pan and waited for it to cook on low heat. While that was cooking you put last night’s left over into the oven.

It felt like you were doing all the work alone while he was being a slouch but you couldn’t complain. It was past 12 and you made him stay back just for a lousy egg and rice dinner. Still you looked up at his direction to whine.

“You’re such a-“ You began speaking but caught him staring for a second before he moved his glance to the lonely TV. It gave you a tingling feeling but you, for obvious reasons, ignored them. The obvious reason being he is your best friend.

“I’m such a what? Hottie? Absolute god of a human being?” He said putting his chin high up as his nose soared skywards.

“..and he had to open his stupid mouth again” you complained to which he let out a little chuckle.

He eventually got up and helped set up the plates and glasses on the living room table. You both took your seats on the couch and began shoving every last bit into your mouths. Needless to say Daehyun was done in seconds while you took a bit more time.

“I’ll clean the dishes” He said collecting all the dirty dishes from the table top and you were nowhere near a protest.

He was soon done washing everything up and joined you on the couch. Not long after, he placed his head on your lap and made his lengthy body comfortable on the small couch.

“Yah! It’s my turn to lie down!” you yelled to a rather careless reply.

“I don’t have time for a movie let’s check out Sheeran’s new album on YouTube insead.” He said taking the remote from you.

You liked the idea of that as you didn’t get to check out the album yet with your busy schedule. You were no superstar like Daehyun, more like going to be one, but you had your own column in an entertainment magazine and that was your own Hollywood.

One by one the songs began to play with the both of you humming to the tune as the words were still unknown. Silence fell as the sound of Ed’s voice singing ‘Perfect’ filled the apartment and touched every corner of the room. Daehyun shifted himself up from his previous position and rested his head on your shoulders.

Slowly the words echoed,
Well, I found a girl, beautiful and sweet
Oh, I never knew you were the someone waiting for me
'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love
Not knowing what it was
I will not give you up this time
But darling, just kiss me slow, your heart is all I own
And in your eyes, you're holding mine
…”

You felt Daehyun’s face shift in your direction, placing his hot breath on your nape. A chill went down your spine and you turned to meet his eyes, your faces inches away from each other’s. You felt his gaze move from your eyes to your lips and all the blood in your body shot its way up to your brain, begging for his touch, his lips.

Unintentionally you bit your lips, unaware of the fact that it could be a welcome sign. As Daehyun’s body moved you thought he would lean in for a kiss but instead he got up and jumped on his feet.

“I should go. I have to wake up early in the morning for practice..ermm..yeah” He just about managed those words while looking down at his feet at all times.

Your cheeks flushed red in embarrassment. Did he just misunderstand you, or rather understand you? You felt stupid. He is your best friend and was just being comfortable like he always was. Countless amounts of nights and days you guys have spent cuddled up in that couch watching movies about other people falling in love so, what happened today? Why were you caught so off-guard that you thought Daehyun would kiss you or worse why did you crave it?

“Oh yeah..ermm I’ll get your bag. Don’t forget to wear your socks or you’ll just leave them back again” You just said anything to make it less uncomfortable.

He made his way towards the door while you got his bag off of the kitchen counter. You handed it to him when he was done putting on his socks and shoes, just like you had reminded him. He hung the belt of his back pack on one shoulder and brushed his hair back with his other hand. He put on the handsomest smile on his face while looking at you and all you could sense was the song in the background.

When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath
But you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight
..”

If it was in up to you, you would have devoured the entirety of his lips, leaving marks of your love all over. Love? You could not manage to put your thoughts into bite size pieces so that it would be easier to understand. But, you did not need to as Daehyun broke the silence.

“I’ll see you tomorrow then. Take care of yourself and call me if you need anything”

He said that every day followed by a hug, but there was no hug today. Instead he just turned around and left, leaving you feeling pathetic.