Another Knock on the Door

Long Lost Love

 

You spend the next few days in constant internal turmoil; waiting for a knock on the door that will take away the one you love once again. Jeongmin can see that you’re nervous but if he is, he doesn’t show it. He acts like his usual bubbly, happy self. But you could swear that you had caught him staring at you one night when he thought you were asleep, tears gathered in the corners of his eyes and a frown on his face.

You sit on the couch, feet tucked underneath you and a blanket it wrapped around your shoulders. Jeongmin’s head rests on your lap as he plays your old Game Boy, eyes squinted in focus. You play with one of his curls, wrapping it around your finger and unwinding it slowly. You’re distracted; you can’t even focus on the television before you. You can only trace your eyes along the curves of Jeongmin’s features as his hair tickles your thigh.

“Jeongmin, how come you know so much about me, but you haven’t told me much about you? I mean, I know a few things, but not nearly as much as you know about me.” He looks up from the game and gives you a grin before hopping up to face you. “What do you want to know?”

You think for a moment, tapping your chin. “What’s your favorite color?” He doesn’t hesitate to answer you. “Blue. Though sometimes I like white more.” You smile and add that to your mental file cabinet labeled “Lee, Jeongmin.” You scan his face as you think of your next question. “What’s your favorite food?” This time he takes a moment, thinking hard. “I don’t really think I have a specific one. Can I just say I love all food in general?” You roll your eyes and laugh. “I guess so. Hm…when’s your birthday?” He feigns surprise and slaps a hand of his heart.

“_____-ah, I’m hurt that you’re forgotten. All those birthday parties we attended together and you can’t even remember!” You pout. “Aish I’m sorry! Can you just tell me?” He grins and pulls you into his lap, hugging you close. You blush as he brushes his lips against your ear. “It’s January 2nd.”

You smile as he back hugs you and check that off of your mental list. “One more question. If…if they take you back home, will you still love me?” Your voice is quiet and you stare at his hands wrapped tightly around your waist. “______-ah, I-”

His answer is cut off by a knock on the door. Your spine goes rigid and you feel the anxiety bouncing around in your brain. Maybe it was just the mailman. Maybe just a salesman. Maybe Hyora. Maybe his parents.

Only one way to find out.

“I’ll get it,” Jeongmin mutters. You watch as he stands up slowly and walks reluctantly to the door. You stand and follow him, staying behind and out of sight. He opens the door and remains stony faced as he gazes into the eyes of his parents. His mother jumps forward immediately. “Oh Jeongmin, we were so worried.” He doesn’t hug her back, just lets his arms hang uselessly at his sides. “Why didn’t you call and let us know where you were? We were looking everywhere! We had to find out from Hyora, who said you seemed very upset and needed to come home.”

Jeongmin slowly untangles himself from his mother’s arms and keeps his poker face. “Please don’t pretend that you care about me. You only care about this supposed marriage, and it’s never going to happen so please just give up.” Your eyes widen at his words. Jeongmin’s father sighs and runs a hand though his hair, looking exasperated. “Son, can you please stop acting so difficult? This is for the better. Please just come home and we can forget this whole mess.” Jeongmin laughs bitterly.

“For the better? She’s a sadistic and I hate her. It is most certainly not for the better.” You’re taken aback by his tone and his mother nearly faints in horror. “I will not marry that girl. Besides, I love someone else.” He turns around and you frantically wave your hands to say no but he pulls you to the doorway anyway. His parents gasp lightly as they recognize your face.

“Umma, Appa, you remember _____, right?” They stutter their disbelief; you guess they hadn’t expected Jeongmin to take you seriously when they told him about your life in the present. You blush under their gazes and look down as Jeongmin speaks again.

“Just leave us alone, and give up your plans. She’s the one I’m going to marry.”