The Arrival

Long Lost Love

 

Saturday starts out normally, as most Saturdays do. You wake up at around 9:30, the sunlight streaming through your window and preventing you from sleeping in any longer. You stretch slowly and slide out of bed before showering, taking your time under the hot water and slowly drying you hair.

But, as most of us know, days that start out normally tend to change before the day is up. Quickly. In your case, Saturday became the strangest day of your life the moment you stepped back into your room.

You open your door, towel clutched around your body, and freeze in the doorway. You scream and squeeze the towel even tighter around you as you take in the sight before you. A curly headed boy sits in your unmade bed, perched among the mess of blankets. He runs a hand through his hair and sits cross-legged, watching you with fox-like eyes and a small smile. Your hand flies to your mouth and you stumble in the doorway. How did this kid get in your house?

“W-Who are you?” You back up a bit as he slides off of the bed. “Why are you in my house?” His expression is innocent as he gazes in your mirror, fixing a lock of his already perfect hair. He takes a moment to answer you after he steps even closer. He looks too perfect to be real; maybe you were dreaming? Should you call the police? What if you called them and this really was a dream, some sort of mirage? You would look like a huge idiot.

“I’m here for you.” He answers as if it’s the simplest thing in the world. “My name is Lee Jeongmin.” You stare at him, wide-eyed. You suddenly seem to remember that you’re underneath of the towel you have contorted around you and you point behind you. “Leave, please, just for a moment. I’ll…I’ll talk to you after I figure this out.”  He watches you quizzically but obeys and steps out into the hallway. You shut the door quickly and scramble into a t-shirt and shorts.

Who was this guy? You had never met a Jeongmin; especially not this one. What was he doing in your house? And what could he possibly mean by he was here for you? How did he even get into your house? That part worried you the most.

You hesitantly open the door, peeking around the corner. Jeongmin stands facing the staircase, hands knotted behind his back and a patient expression on his face. “Jeong-uh, Jeongmin? Would you mind explaining to me, in great detail, who you are and just what you’re doing in my house?” He turns to face you and gives you a big smile. “My name is Lee Jeongmin. I’m seventeen years old. I was sent here for you by them. After your grandmother died and left you all by your lonesome, you needed someone to watch out for you. I’m that someone!” He runs to you and hugs you tight, laughing. You scramble out of his arms, shock hitting you like a punch to the stomach. “How did you know about that?” Your words come out as a whisper and you’re surprised he even hears you.

“They told me.” He looks a little hurt that you jumped away from his hug and for a moment you feel guilty. But soon your guilt vanishes as his words process in your mind. “Wait…who are ‘they’?” A dark look flashes through his eyes but his smile remains plastered on his face. “That doesn’t matter.” He takes your hand and leads you down the stairs. “But you matter! So let’s get you something to eat.” He seats you at the table and begins searching through your refrigerator and pantry. You simply stare in amazement as he begins frying an egg and pops two pieces of toast into the toaster. He stands over the stove and you watch him closely.

Maybe you should call the police, because this guy was really freaking you out. It was one thing that he just showed up randomly in your house. But he knew about your sweet old grandmother who had passed away just barely a week ago, leaving you an orphan with no other relatives. You had been living alone the past few days. Until you suddenly received an unexpected visitor…

“Okay, time to eat!” Jeongmin places a plate in front of you and you watch his happy expression carefully. He didn’t poison this…right? Maybe he was some sort of mass murderer. You poke at the eggs before taking a tentative bite. It tastes delicious but you’re still pretty nervous about what you’ve just eaten. There’s something a bit off about this guy.

Jeongmin watches you as he eats, a small smile on his face the entire time. You can feel yourself blushing at his constant gaze. When he finishes his food he stands up quickly, planting his hands on his hips. “So where am I sleeping tonight?”

Forget being a bit off; this guy was INSANE.