Kissing Up To Fortune Tellers

Mismatched Socks

   "So? How was it? Will you be meeting him again? Did you kiss?" Shelly exploded as soon as she heard the keys jingle outside. "Are you two together now? You are dating a celebrity, I cannot believe it!"

  Marie placed her small backpack neatly beside her shoes and hung her jacket onto the hook attached to the thin wall. She examined the wall's condition, before scraping a bit at the already peeling paint.

   "Don't do that, you'll make it worse!" Shelly called from the kitchen.

Marie snapped her hand back and looked around. Shelly could not have seen her. 

   "I don't have to see you to know."

   "I'm not even going to question this. We spend too much time together," Marie muttered, before proceeding into the kitchen. "Nothing could worsen that wall's condition. It already reached rock bottom."

   "Not true!"

   Marie slumped down on her chair and hung her head back. "I'll repaint it some time."

   "Don't sweat it, you've got enough to do," Shelly waved it off.

   "I'll paint something nice. Maybe some trees," Marie promised.

   Shelly just nodded her head. Once Marie started something, she did not finish until it was perfection. Shelly loved the artistic side of Marie. She knew that she had a lot of potential; more than Marie would ever see in herself. The two were polar opposites; be it physical appearance or character. Marie was dark, with dark brown hair, chocolate eyes and defined eyebrows. She was small and had a cute, curved figure. Shelly was light, with a pale skin oversensitive towards the sun, strawberry blonde hair and milk blue eyes. Marie was a writer, Shelly was a musician. One forogt to eat, the other had a talent for sports.

   "What are you pondering about?" Marie asked, her voice creating a hollow echo in their tiny kitchen.

   "Just remembered how different we really are," Shelly replied.

   Marie laughed in agreement. "I drink sparkly water and you tap water."

   "Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and you despise it enough to leave it out," Shelly replied. The two sighed and looked at the tile floor together.

   "Wait," Shelly started. "You still haven't told me what happened!" She turned around to fixate her pale blue eyes on her friend. Marie was looking everywhere but at her friend. "Don't tell me you..." Shelly began. Seeing her friend's sheepish expression, she let out a defeated groan. "Marie! Why?"

   "It was a mutual thing, okay?" Marie defended herself.

   "When is it ever?" Shelly asked.

   "He even asked if we could hang out again!"

   "Really?" Shelly asked. Marie nodded, widening her eyes to convey her honesty.

        '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

The small cafe was hidden to a mere passerby. It had one, docile table with abstract vines carved into the dark wood with two shaky chairs with metal backs that cut into one's back when one tried to get comfortable. But the tea brewing inside was what lead the two inside the cafe. A quiet, old lady had taken their orders. Now they were seated on the shaky chairs, with a pot of rose bud tea before them. The steam carried the fragile scent of young roses in up into the air in small swirls.

   "I enjoy hanging out with you," Taehyung said. The two had been quiet for some time, enjoying the small street scenery before them together.

  Marie looked over at him, seeing his  sharp jaw move as he continued speaking.

 "You are really interesting. Your perception of the world is so different from others. I would hate for this to be the last time we meet."

   "Same here," Marie replied, grinning up at him. They had really enjoyed themselves. The small stores littered around the small city streets became a real enjoyment for the two. They tried on ridiculous sunglasses and animal hats, goofing around and teasing each other. Alone, Marie was an introvert. But with Taehyung she discovered a new side of herself. A carefree one, that constantly had to laugh.

   Taehyung turned his head, and suddenly the two of them were nose to nose. They looked into each other's eyes for a while, before breaking eye contact.

   "I um.. I don't mean to be awkward. But I think that isn't us," Taehyung said. Marie did not respond, and he quickly backtracked. "I am sorry if I lead you on. I was interested in you in that way at first. But I feel like we are better suited as friends."

   "I am so glad you said that," Marie sighed. "Now I won't feel so awkward when we meet up." She stopped, remembering the last boy. "That is, if you still want to meet up."

   "Of course I do! I have really taken a liking to you. You remind me of my younger siblings in a bizarre way."

  "I honestly do not know if I should be taking that as a compliment," Marie laughed. Taehyung tried to back pedal, but she shut him up with a light hit to the shoulder. "Don't worry, I don't get offended that easily."

   "Friends?" Taehyung asked, holding out a big, slender hand. A huge grin spread across Marie's face as she accepted the hand. His hands were rough, illuminating the strength a confident male could radiate off.

   "Friends," she confirmed, and they shook hands.

   '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

 

Were you expecting that? Love isn't always the first one you meet.

"Don't fall in love with the moment and think you're in love with the girl"

-the 1975