A Small Bell Chime Cements a New Future

Mismatched Socks

     The bell to the restaurant chimed and a young, chubby girl came inside. She had blonde, chin length hair and bright blue eyes that shone with laughter. She looked through the restaurant before seeing a group of rowdy boys sitting in the back corner with a screen protection hiding them somewhat from view.

        "Marie, you better already be here," she muttered to herself. Nearing the round table, she caught the attention of a waitress.

        "Those are private customers, please be seated elsewhere. We have a beautiful view of the streets over on this side," the waitress beckoned further along, trying to drag the girl with her in a polite manner.

        "I think she is with us," a boy called over. The waitress immediatly dropped the arm she had a hold of and restructured her smile.

        "Of course, how could I not see? Pleasse follow me." Her eyes were saying the exact opposite. 'How could these boys be meeting with you?' Shelly rolled her eyes and moved beind the screen. She hated the judgement she recieved in Korea. Everyone was thin here, and so much value was placed on one's outside appearance. She knew she had to stand over it, but lately she felt herself becoming self conscience and in her stomach. Maybe she should start those leg excersises with Marie and cut out dinner. She placed herself on the free mat in between the boys and looked around. Marie was not there yet. Of course.

       "I am guessing you are the friend?" A boy asked her. She admired his long face and messy hair style before catching herself and nodding.

       "I am Shelly. As her friend I can already apologize. She tends to always run late," Shelly said.

       "Well, she still has another ten minutes before the food arrives," Nam Joon replied. Shelly started. She was early.

       "I thought we were meeting 5:20?"

       "No, your friend said in half an hour," Nam Joon replied. Shelly growled under her breath. Marie was going to pay for making her arrive early. She peeked a small glance at the boys and understood immediatly why they were acquiring so much love from around the world. They were all handsome in their own way. She really did not fit in. The confusion of the waitress was becoming more obvious to Shelly as the evening progressed. The bells chimed at the entrance, signaling a new customer. The first boy to talk to her leaned around the screen to peak a look.

"It's her!" he whispered, whipping his head back. "She came, and she has my jacket!" the anticipatioin of the boy radiated out in waves. Shelly shook her head. How could Marie not have noticed this? But as much as Shelly complained about Marie's niaveness, she knew that this was a flaw that she loved about her friend. They all heard voices as the waitress greeted her. Then footsteps which came closer and closer. Marie's head timidly peaked around the screen and she blushed when she saw all the bandmates assembled around the round table.
"Hello," her voice barely carried over to them. She scanned the table and saw two free seats. She oped for the one beside Shelly. "I hope I have not kept you waiting?"

                                                               *****************************************************************************

The bells chimed, signaling a new arrival. Taehyung leaned back to clear his view of the door. His head whipped back and he grinned at his friends.

   "She's here!" he exclaimed in a hushed manner. The girl, Shelly, shook her head at his eagerness with a hint of a smile. A curtain of long, dark brown hair crossed the bamboo divider, as a small face peeked behind it. Round eyes fixated on our table and swept across only to stop at Taehyung. The girl fully stepped in front of the divider now, revealing herself to all. She was small. Jeongguk heard the small, metal bells chime behind her again. He had always had a thing for bells.

   "I hope I haven't kept you waiting?" her voice was feather light. Strange, Jeongguk thought. Taehyung usually was into confident girls. Taehyung craved the dramatic flare that made a life unique. Always the collector. But this girl didn't look the part. Her gaze flitted around before oping for the seat beside her friend. She placed her bag down onto her lap and opened the zipper before removing a neatly folded leather jacket from within.

   "Thank you!" Taehyung grinned and recieved his jacket. "You know, Suga doubted you. Thought you wouldn't contact me and just keep the jacket for yourself."

   The girl smiled and glanced over at Suga. "Such little faith in the good in humanity, I see," she murmured. Then an awkward silence took over. Jeongguk saw the two girls share a short eye contact of unease. They shouldn't fear. Jin would start talking in three... two... one.

   "We ordered a lot, so you better be hungry!" Jin said. "Because we have one policy here. There is no such things as left overs."

   "You don't get a doggie bag to take home?" Shelly asked. Everyone was silent.

   "Shelly, did you just say doggie bag?" Marie voiced everyone's confusion. "As in the small trash bags used to pick up dog poo?"

   Shelly looked around at the questioning faces. "You guys don't know what a doggie bag is?" she asked, scoffing.

   Marie rolled her eyes. "Why else would I be asking for clarification?"

   "When you pack leftovers and take them home," Shelly said. "Everyone knows that."

   "Yes, Shelly. Everyone knows. That must be why you have eight stumped faces before you." Marie nodded her head. Jeongguk smirked, hearing her sarcasm.

   "No doggie bags," Jin said. Jeongguk pressed his lips together to keep in his laughter.

   "Please say that this won't become a regular word from now on, please," Suga groaned.

   "It is a normal, everyday word though!" Shelly persisted. Suga raised his eyebrows. The other bandmates were quick to grasp a chance to annoy him.

   "Of course doggie bag is a typical term for leftovers. my father used it all the time," J-hope said.

   "Oh yes. I constantly use the word," Jin began in a serious tone. "Whenever I pack you lunch , I do so in a doggie bag."

   Suga cast Nam Joon an exasperated look. He was the only one likely to agree with him. Upon seeing the defeated look on his comerade's face, he sighed. The others were giggling through their eyes while keeping a straight face.

   "Glad someone approves of my vocabulary," Shelly said, giving Marie a pointed look. Her friend held her hands up in innocence. When Shelly looked away, satisfied, she stuck her tounge out. No one noticed.

   The food arrived soon after. Sizzling meat, cramped together side dishes and nine bowls of rice. Between the food and laughter, Jeongguk soon drifted off. He avoided conversation and busied himself with the food on the table. His mind was elsewhere, already at home beside his computer. He had hoped to pull an all nighter with Taehyung, but he seemed occupied with those new girls. Jeongguk didn't mind too much. Taehyung always met new people and stuck by them for no longer than a week. Till then, Jeongguk would just have to entertain himself.

            *************************************************************************