Oak Leaves Don't Fall, They Float

Mismatched Socks

   The dinner ended on good terms, leaving behind laughter and good memories. Soon there was no more food on the table and Nam Joon was requesting the bill. When it came, Marie snatched it out of his hands.

   "I'll pay," she declared. Taehyung watched her eyes widen at the amount. "How much did we eat? I have never seen anyone pay 362 dollars for a meal!"

   Taehyung laughed and took the bill out of her frozen fingers. "That is why you should let us cover the payment."

   "Well, at least let me chip in. I can't let you pay everything," Marie pleaded, pulling out her wallet. The band mates rejected her money. Taehyung pulled out his credit card and placed it on top of the bill.

   "We are paying. We ate the most and I invited you here," Taehyung declared. Marie objected, but was shot down right away. She pouted and gave Taehyung an evil look. He had to chuckle. Why was she the most adorable when she tried to be mad?

  The group left the restaurant and lingered outside.

   "So... what now?" Nam Joon asked.

   Taehyung glanced at Marie in a questioning manner. "Are you up for hanging out?" he asked. He saw the hesitation in the furrowed eyebrows and glance at Shelly.

   "Go ahead, I can get back alone," Shelly said.

   Marie shook her head. "It is late out. I don't think you should be walking out alone on the streets."

  Shelly scoffed and shook Marie's concern off. "Please, I can defend myself."

  "I can't believe you," Marie muttered. "You also believe that you could fight off a bear in the wild."

   Taehyung laughed. "Jeongguk couldn't even do that," he said, nudging the boy beside him. Jeongguk started and nodded his head. Jeongguk was always awkward around new people. The two were so different, but still got along so well. It really was a mystery.

   "We can drop her off," Nam Joon offered. Taehyung shot him a grateful look. He really wanted to spend more time with Marie. She was interesting, and he did not want their interactions to end here.

   "I am fully capable of taking care of myself!" Shelly crossed her arms and averted her head.

   Marie shrugged. "Well then. Sorry Taehyung, but I guess I can't spend more time with you." With that she grabbed Shelly's arm and began dragging her away. Shelly protested and broke free of her friend's grip. The two whispered at each other, both exasperated.

   "Fine!" Shelly grumbled and returned to the group. "Could you drop me off?"

   "I'm sorry for being such an inconvenience towards you," Marie added. Nam Joon waved her off and opened the van's door.

   "You two enjoy yourselves!" Jin waved as a parting and got into the van first. The others followed after and soon enough the van's engine grumbled and they were gone, leaving behind two silent figures standing a meter apart.

   "So, what should we do?" Taehyung asked. He honestly did not care. Just watching her facial expressions shift made him content. She raised her small shoulders in a shrug.

   "We can just walk around. Aren't there little streets with random shops around here?"

   "Let's go then," Taehyung offered his arm. Marie hesitated before placing her little hand in the crook of his arm. The coolness of her fingertips seeped through his thin button down shirt. He smiled down at her, and got stuck in her big eyes that were already staring up at him. A small breeze swept by, and a bit of her dark hair floated up and stuck to his cheek. He smelt peaches and decided right then: she was the embodiment of summer.

 ***************************************************************************************************