Sunny

In the Tearoom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At age two years and just a few months shy of her 3rd birthday, Kim Sun lost both her parents in a horrific multi vehicle accident. They said it was a miracle she survived -all the other passengers in the 3 vehicles involved had suffered tremendous injuries and either died on scene or on the way to the hospital. It was a strange day, with flowers blooming abnormally out of season. Passerbys on the street shivered and shook their heads, muttering there was an odd omen in the air. Tragic accidents, off-season blossoms, -what next? A goblin?

At age 5 years, little Kim Sun had persisted on taking ballet classes as her birthday present. Her grandmother had finally caved after months of being pestered and pleaded with by Sun’s teary eyes. Sun was now on her way to the dance studio, pale pink ballet slippers tucked carefully away in her sling bag. As she was starting on her warm-ups on the barre, toes pointed outwards with her hands inclined in a gentle wave over her head. Listening to the soft adagio piano music playing in the background, she practised her steps when she slipped and fell on the polished wooden floor. Sun grimaced as she picked herself up, cheeks burning as she felt the eyes of her classmates on her -she hated the fact she was clumsy. Taking a deep breath and letting the fragrance of rosin and leather wash over her, she starred at her reflection in the mirrors lining the walls of the studio, she gritted her teeth and started practising again, not knowing why but vowing to never be clumsy again.

At age 10, Kim Sun was in primary school and doing averagely well in her classes. She was growing tall and was slightly underweight for her age. Her grandmother was getting weaker and she was worried about her health. Biting her lip, Sun chewed on a pencil as her mind wandered off in class. A hand tapped her on her shoulder. Turning back, she gave the girl sitting behind her an enquiring look. The girl inclined her head in the direction of the teacher. Oh. Sun’s mind went blank as she scrambled for an answer. Giving up, she resigned herself to listening to the ensuing lecture.

At age 16, Kim Sun had decided to call herself Sunny. She felt that her life was rather turbulent with torrential storms and clouds along the way. She wanted a way to remind herself that regardless of how much rain and clouds there was, the blinding rays of the sun will eventually pierce through the darkness. And thus, Sunny was born. Quietly, Sunny sat on the grass of the silent graveyard. The one she had just visited was newer -just 3 years old. Tears sprung to the corner

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter