Meaningful: [με νοημα]

Elpis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Next Day

The Jeep was the party car, the cool one. Or at least that’s what Seolhyun believed. Between Jennie and Jisoo, the nine-hour drive to the wilds of Gyeongsan wasn’t turning out to be that bad. Poor Heechul looked like he wanted to duct tape the two girls’ mouths shut after two hours of their nonstop rundown of the new season of Stranger Things.

Seolhyun wasn’t complaining.

Then, Jennie moved on to this show about thrones and dragons, which she tried to explain to Hyejeong. Considering that Hyejeong was a fan of original books instead of TV shows, Jennie wasn’t getting very far.

Heechul looked like he had a headache, which mirrored how Seolhyun felt. It had nothing to do with Jensoo’s chatter or the ridiculous (but hilarious) car games Jisoo insisted on playing. And Seolhyun was pretty sure that, if Jisoo leaned between the seats and punched Hyejeong on the arm one more time she saw an SK Telecom ads, Hyejeong was going to the pull the car over and strangle her.

Seolhyun was also sure Heechul would hold Jisoo down. The man had to have a wicked bruise on his leg from the last punch Jisoo had delivered.

But after the fourth hour, restlessness set in. Minutes from turning into the kid the parent threatens to turn the car around on, Seolhyun tried to get some rest. It wasn’t like the scenery was much to look at. Lots of fields. Then lots of hills. Then lots of trees. Boredom itched at her skin as she stared at the wards, drawn in Titan blood throughout the car, that kept the Gods from sensing her.

But the fact that she was stuck in the vehicle for the foreseeable future wasn’t the worst part. The steadily increasing throbbing in her temples sent a nervous rush through her system.

Jimin was there, pecking away, waiting for that moment she could pop in and have a chat. Part of Seolhyun almost welcomed it, because it would be something to do, but that was so stupid. Talking with Jimin wouldn’t help anything.

She didn’t want to think at all.

Twisting in the seat, her eyes met her uncle’s. She smiled as Heechul nodded at Jisoo. The Genuine had finally passed out, with her cheek plastered against the window. Beside her, Jennie was staring out the window, jaw locked down tight. Only Gods knew what she’s thinking about.

Not wanting to wake the talkative beast, Seolhyun said nothing and turned back around. Her booted foot slid over the sickle blade resting on the floor. They were just as stocked and well-armed.

Time slowed down to a crawl. Every time Seolhyun looked at the clock on the dashboard she would’ve sworn two hours had gone by, but it was only twenty minutes later. When they hit the halfway point, Yuna called Hyejeong. They needed to get gas.

Hyejeong wasn’t thrilled about it. “We’re too close to Daegu.”

In other words, they were too close to a heavily populated area. Nearly every major city in South Korea had communities of Genuines on the outskirts. Where there were Genuines, there were Demons. And that also meant there would be Linuses and Guards, those who might be working with Jonghyun.

But they didn’t have any choice. Both vehicles were running low on gas, and it was either stop now or run out of gas in the middle of nowhere and got eaten by wild bears.

They pulled into a decent area and Seolhyun immediately reached for the door handle.

“I prefer you’d stay in the car,” Hyejeong said, unbuckling.

She frowned. “Why? I have the talisman.”

“I know.” Hyejeong shot her look. “But knowing our luck, someone will recognize you.”

“But I have to use the bathroom.”

“Hold it,” Jennie said, opening the car door so protectively. “I’ll get you something to snack on, and some water.”

Seolhyun glared at her. “That’s so wrong.”

Everyone but Seolhyun rushed from the Jeep and she flung herself back against the seat, folding her arms. She got that they didn’t need another God smackdown in the middle of the gas station, but damn…

Hyejeong headed toward the other Jeep while Heechul helped Yuna on pumped gas. Here Seolhyun was, the freaking Elpis, and she couldn’t even go inside to get a pack of sandwiches by herself. Gods.

A few moments later, Hyejeong came around to her side of the car. Seolhyun debated leaving the window up, but she rolled it down.

Hyejeong leaned in, resting on her forearms. “Hey,” she said, grinning.

Seolhyun knew she was pouting, but she couldn’t feel her .

“Lisa and Rose are checking out the bathroom. Looks like it’s outside and around the back.”

“Oh, thank the Gods.” Seolhyun slumped in her seat.

Hyejeong’s grin spread on one side. “I’ll make sure Jennie gets you something other than water.”

“You’re the best.” Seolhyun popped forward and kissed her quickly. “I mean it.”

On his way past them, Heechul’s eyes narrowed. “I feel like I’m going to need to separate you two.”

Hyejeong’s cheeks flushed as she pulled back and cleared .

Heechul stopped beside her, folding his arms. “Especially the sleeping arrangements. And I’m not naive enough to–”

“Whoa!” Seolhyun cut in. “Not a topic that I’m willing to participate into.”

Heechul gave her a bland look. “You are my niece and I’m your guardian.”

“I’m nineteen and that’s not how the babies made.”

“But you’re still too–”

“Lisa! Bathroom break!” Seolhyun threw open the door, nearly knocking Heechul over. Shooting her uncle a quick grin, she darted around him.

Hyejeong grabbed her arm. “Be careful.”

“Of course. Other than dying of fumes and wanting to hurl, it’s just a public restroom.”

Hyejeong still looked like she wanted to Seolhyun in there, but Heechul was also eyeing Hyejeong like he wanted to have a conversation. Hyejeong let go and Seolhyun joined the Myxs at the sidewalk.

“What’s going on over there?” Lisa asked.

Seolhyun looked over her shoulder. Heechul’s mouth was flying a certain km/h, and Hyejeong stood there, stiff and silent. Seolhyun laughed. “You don’t even want to know.”

“Probably has to do with the fact that you and Hyejeong are having , in the middle of chaos,” Rose announced, crossing her arms.

Seolhyun’s jaw dropped.

“Nice.” Lisa swatted Rose an arm. “Way to just throw that out there.”

Rose shrugged. “Hey, it is what it is. She’s always a Linus hottie. I’d be doing it with her every five seconds.”

“Okay. Thanks for sharing.”

Lisa eyed the other Myx. “Hey Rose, have you heard from Rowoon? He wasn’t at the Ephensy when…” She looked around and lowered her voice. “He wasn’t there when Poseidon went nuts.”

Rose’s eyes narrowed on the overcast sky. “I don’t know what he might be doing. We weren’t really as close as you guys think. At least, we didn’t talk a lot at the Council.”

Lisa snorted.

“I don’t think he’s with Jimin and Jonghyun,” Rose said again as they started around the corner of the cement building.

“Why?” Seolhyun tucked a curl back.

They’d stopped outside the bathroom door, and Seolhyun could already smell the crap. “Remember when Rowoon got his face rearranged?” Rose looked at Lisa as she nodded. “I’m pretty sure Jimin did that to him.”

“Did what?” Seolhyun turned her head toward them.

“Holy crap,” Lisa murmured as she slid the key into the door. “Because of what Rowoon did to Seolhyun in Fighting class?”

Rose nodded and told her everything. Rowoon had taken sparring too far, planting his boot in Seolhyun’s face and Seolhyun was sure that Instructor Jonghoon had goaded him into it. As they headed into the bathroom and Seolhyun looked for a somewhat decent stall, she wondered if Jonghoon was still alive.

Jonghoon had disappeared after Seunghyub had delivered Head Minister’s Hongki’s ultimatum, and Jimin had had members of the Order hunted down, as they were the only real threat to them. As terrible as it sounded, if he had met his end, Seolhyun wouldn’t be too torn up. Jonghoon had had it out for her from day one.

The trip to the bathroom turned out to be less worrying, since Seolhyun didn’t consider the risk of catching hand, foot, and mouth disease to be a big deal.

Back in the Jeep, with her lap full of Smarties and other assorted goodies, Seolhyun was surprised by the fact Medusa hadn’t appeared in the toilet and tried to eat her. Well, anything could happen. She glanced behind her, past where Jisoo and Jennie were sharing nachos. Heechul’s arms were spread along the back of the last seat.

Flipping to the front, she caught Hyejeong’s gaze and offered a sympathetic smile. “Smarties?”

“Please.”

Seolhyun dumped some into Hyejeong’s open palm, then picked out the yellow ones.

Hyejeong grinned at her. “You know I don’t like the yellow ones?”

Shrugging, Seolhyun popped them in . “The few times I’ve seen you eat them, you leave the yellow ones behind.”

Jisoo popped her head between their seats. “That’s true love right there.”

“That it is.” Hyejeong’s gaze flicked to the road.

Seolhyun flushed like a little schoolgirl and focused on the remaining pieces of candy until Jisoo drifted back into her seat. She handed all the red ones to Hyejeong.

A couple of hours after they’d hit the traffic apocalypse outside of Donggu, the open skies had darkened and night was only minutes away. Knots formed in Seolhyun’s stomach as she thought of the distance between her and the University evaporating. They were still about three hours away, but that was nothing after being in the car this long.

The University was nestled deep in the hills of Gyeongsan. Near Palgongsan, but in the part known as southern hills. It was a heavily protected wilderness, only reachable in vehicles such as the one they were in. People had to know what they were looking for to even see the entrance to the school.

Seolhyun had never seen the University in person, but she knew it looked like something straight out of Greece. Like all the Ephensys, the Mortals believed the school to be a part of an elite, invitation-only education system. Even though she was sort of excited to see the school, her nerves hummed for a different reason.

Hyejeong’s phone went off, and the look on her face as she listened wasn’t good.

“What?” Seolhyun asked, feeling her stomach drop again. She wondered if she had an ulcer, or if that was even possible.

“Got it,” Hyejeong said into the phone, and then snapped it shut. “We’re being followed.”

Seolhyun spun in her seat, just like Heechul and Jennie did. The headlights from Yuna’s Jeep were right behind them. Seolhyun squinted. Several car lengths behind, there was another set of headlights.

Linuses and Guards loved to drive Jeeps. The bigger the better and all that jazz. Mortals drove Jeeps too, but every instinct was telling Seolhyun it was Ephensy-issued and not a friendly one.

Crap.

“How long?” Jennie asked.

“Since we passed Donggu,” Hyejeong replied, eyes flicking to the rearview mirror.

“There’s an exit coming up, take it. We need to get off the main highway.” Heechul cussed as he leaned back, pulling out a Glock. “Good news is that the road will be clear of Mortals. Bad news is that the roads will be clear.”

There would be no one around for either side to worry about exposure, if they even cared about that anymore.

“Tell Yuna to follow,” Heechul said, “and to get close to us.”

As Hyejeong relayed the message to Yuna, Seolhyun kept her eyes glued to the stretch of highway behind them as they hit the ramp and flew down the dark, back road. Then she saw what Hyejeong hadn’t said, and what Heechul must’ve realized once Yuna’s Jeep had moved into the other lane.

It wasn’t one Jeep… it was two, and Seolhyun was sure both were packed.

Double crap.

Jennie was straining to get a better look. “We can’t let them report back, guys. If they haven’t already. We’re too close to the University.”

“So you really think they’re his– Jonghyun’s?” Jisoo asked, gripping the back of Seolhyun’s seat.

Hyejeong nodded. “Everything’s cool, though. We’ve got this.”

The strength in her words, the determination to get everyone through this, was so like a Hyejeong. No matter what, she held it together. She might falter a step or two, but she weathered the blows and she never gave up. Not on Seolhyun. Not on her sister. And never on life.

Gods, no wonder Seolhyun loved the girl.

As she stared at Hyejeong and saw the steely resolve in the lines of her striking face, she realized something.

She needed to put her Elpis game on, like, for real.

Sort of stunned, Seolhyun faced the front of the vehicle. She was better than this, and she was a hell of a lot better than letting Fate control her. She wasn’t weak. She’d never been a quitter before.

Because she was a fighter. Because she didn’t quit. Because she was strong.

As the front end of Yuna’s Jeep reached the midway part of theirs, there was a distinct popping sound and those cars suddenly jerked to the left.

“Holy crap,” Jisoo gasped. “They’re shooting at–”

Their back window exploded. Glass shattered and rained through the car. Seolhyun spun in her seat, finding that Jennie had Jisoo plastered against the seat. She didn’t see her uncle.

“Heechul?”

“I’m okay,” he called out.

“Seolhyun, get down.” Hyejeong kept a tight grip on the steering wheel with one hand as she reached for her, grabbing her arm and yanking her down.

Heechul popped up and returned fire in a quick succession. Tires squealed, the Jeep next to them jerked again, and then flew ahead in a roar. Seolhyun couldn’t believe they were actually shooting at them. And then it struck her. They didn’t care about anyone else in the vehicle. They knew Seolhyun would survive the crash one way or another.

They were going to keep shooting until they made them all crash.

Another pop, and the window beside Hyejeong blew out. Shards of glass flew sideways at both of them.

Seolhyun was so over this. “Stop the car,” she said.

“What?” Hyejeong’s hand pressed down on Seolhyun’s back as she sped up, putting some distance between them and the vehicle full of psychopaths.

Seolhyun struggled up. “Stop the car!”

Hyejeong glanced at her, and Gods know what she saw in Seolhyun’s eyes, but she cursed under her breath and veered onto the shoulder. The other vehicles shot past them, the sound of their tires squealing on the pavement.

Before Hyejeong could stop her, Seolhyun threw the door open. Another curse exploded from her and she heard Heechul yell out, “What the hell?”

Seolhyun slipped out of the Jeep, keeping low. There was one dagger attached to her thigh, but that wasn’t what she needed.

Hyejeong slid out the passenger side, eyes narrowed. She had a Glock in one hand. “What are you doing?”

“Good question.” Jennie shoved Jisoo into her arms. “Stopping doesn’t seem like the smart thing to do.”

“I can’t believe they are actually shooting at us. Us?” Jisoo started to stand up. “What is wrong–?”

“Stay down!” Hyejeong twisted toward, pointing at Jennie. “Keep her alive or–”

“I know.” Jennie yanked Jisoo down and behind her. “Nothing will happen to her.”

Up ahead, Yuna had pulled over and they all spilled out of the car, keeping to the passenger side. Seolhyun breathed a sigh of relief and then edged toward the front of the Jeep.

“Seolhyun–!” Hyejeong followed in a crouch.

The two vehicles had turned around and were nearly on them. There was really no time to think about what Seolhyun was doing. Using the speed that all Myxs have, and the extra ‘oomph’ of the Elpis, she darted around the bumper and into the lane.

Hyejeong let out a loud curse.

Seolhyun was bathed in headlights as she threw up her hand, summoning the element of air. It was like unlocking a door inside her. Power rushed from the inside then spread out, slipping over her skin. Air barreled down the highway, blowing past her, faster and stronger than what a Genuine could wield. Hurricane-force winds slammed into the first Jeep.

It went up on two wheels, tires spinning in the air as the headlights pierced the night sky. The Jeep hovered there a second, and then flipped over the second vehicle. Through the air it tipped over and over… something was flung from one of the windows, perhaps a person.

Seatbelts did save lives.

The first Jeep landed on its roof. Metal crunched and groaned, then gave way. The one behind it spun to the right to avoid a direct collision. Amber-colored sparks flew.

The doors on the second opened and Seolhyun counted six Linuses garbed in black. They were Myxs, playing on the wrong side of the field.

One charged forward, and Seolhyun flung him into the thick elms that crowded the roadway with a flick of her wrist. There was a sickening crunch upon impact that said that tool would be out of commission for a while.

A second wielded two Ephensy daggers as he headed straight for Seolhyun. “Come with us and we’ll let your friends live.”

Seolhyun tipped her head to the side and smiled. “Well, isn’t that cliche as hell? How about this; turn away and I might let you live?”

Apparently the Linus didn’t understand Korean, because he lurched at Seolhyun. Seolhyun stepped to the side, reaching up and catching his arm. She swung it down as she brought her knee up, making contact just above the elbow. Bones snapped and the Linus yelped. Swinging behind him, Seolhyun caught his other arm and twisted. His back bowed and the dagger fell to the pavement.

Heechul appeared in front of them. Without blinking an eye, he shoved a dagger into the chest of the Linus. The man didn’t even make a sound.

Seolhyun let go, and his body fell to the street.

Her eyes met Heechul’s. A second later he had the Glock raised and aimed. Seolhyun was so close she saw the tiny spark as the trigger pulled. Gasping, she spun around.

The bullet smacked between the eyes of a female Linus.

“Gods,” Seolhyun said, stumbling back.

“They know they can’t kill you.” Heechul grabbed her arm and shoved Seolhyun back toward the Jeep. “But I do believe they wish to take you in, no matter what your condition is.”

“I’m starting to see that.”

Yuna and Hyejeong were working on two Linuses. Jennie was next to Jisoo. Looking behind her, Seolhyun saw that Lisa and Rose had two more cornered. Her attention swung back to the crumpled Jeep.

There were Myxs in that car, and as expected, they weren’t down for the count. Another six piled out. Feeling the rush of adrenaline coiling tight around the cord, Seolhyun shot forward with Heechul right behind her.

She reached a Linus, gripping the dagger in her right hand. He dove at her, but she ducked under his arm, faster than his eyes could track. Swinging around, she caught him in the back with her boot and he went down on one knee. Something inside her turned off as she gripped his hair and yanked his head back.

These weren’t Linuses. They were enemies. Seolhyun couldn’t think of it any other way. She brought the dagger down in a clean and quick kill.

Hearing pounding footsteps behind her, she whirled and jerked to the side, narrowly missing a meaty fist to the face. Springing into the air, she spun and delivered a nasty ‘i-hope-someone-sees-this-badass-spin kick’.

Then the Linus hit the ground, clutching what was most likely a broken jaw. Flipping the dagger over, Seolhyun started forward. Man, she sort of missed fighting with Apollo. They’d be keeping count–

Hands grabbed her shoulders and yanked her back. Seolhyun hit the pavement and slid. Pain burst along her spine and she stared up, stunned.

A dark-skinned Linus stared down at her. “You could make this easy–” His words were choked off. Something wet and warm sprayed into the air. His body went in one direction and his head went in the other.

Seolhyun rolled onto her knees, clamping shut against the urge to hurl.

Lisa stepped back, her gaze flicking from Seolhyun to the dagger. “That… that was nothing like what they teach you in class.”

“Thanks, Lisa.” Pushing to her feet, Seolhyun shook her head. Was this the first time Lisa had fought? For her first kill to be another Linus… Seolhyun didn’t know what to say. And they didn’t have time for a therapy session.

And another Linus was standing. He spun around, his dagger arced low. Seolhyun felt the hiss of the sharp blade along her stomach. Material split, but that was as close as he got.

Hyejeong appeared behind him and gripped the sides of his head. There was a quick twist, another sound that would creep back in and replay over and over again later, and then the Linus dropped.

Hyejeong’s eyes met hers. “Even though that display of power was hot as hell, try not to run out in traffic anymore.”

Seolhyun started to respond, but a shadow slipped up behind Hyejeong. Her heart stopped. “Hyejeong!”

Before Seolhyun could even raise a hand, Hyejeong spun around like the wind, letting go of the dagger. It smacked into the chest of the white-garbed Guard sneaking up on her. Darting forward, she pulled the blade free before the Guard collapsed, and then threw it again, taking out the other Guard who’d cornered Jennie.

Damn. Hyejeong was a badass ninja.

Only a couple of minutes had passed and they’d been lucky so far, but approaching headlights warned that they were out of luck.

“Lisa, get Rose and go around to the other side of the car.”

Lisa’s gaze dipped to the fallen Linus once more and then she nodded, taking off. She grabbed Rose’s arm and pulled her toward where Jennie and Jisoo started to emerge from the hideout.

A sedan stopped behind the crumpled Jeep. Sheathing the dagger, Seolhyun jogged up to the car just as the driver’s window rolled down. A middle-aged Mortal surveyed the scene with growing horror.

“Oh, my God,” he said, holding a phone. “I can call for help– is that a body?”

Seolhyun knelt down, forcing the Mortal to look her in the eye. “There’s nothing to see here. You will see nothing as you drive past. You will go home and… kiss your wife or whatever.”

The Mortal blinked slowly and then nodded. “I’m not married.”

Whoops. “Uh, do you have a girlfriend?”

He nodded, eyes trained on Seolhyun’s.

“Okay… then go kiss her and tell her… that you love her?” Gods, Seolhyun so at compulsions. “Anyway, go. There’s nothing going on here. Move along.”

As the car drove past, she turned to find Lisa gaping at her. “What?” She demanded.

Lisa sighed. “I wish I could do that too.”

Shrugging, a small grin pulled at Seolhyun’s lips. She followed the others and passed Hyejeong. The girl was stopping at each body, placing two fingers on the still forms. Seolhyun watched as sparks flew from her fingers and traveled over the bodies with an unnatural quickness. Violet-hued flames covered the fallen, and within seconds nothing remained but ashes. The air was thick with the scent of blood, and burnt flesh and metal.

Gyeongsan had never smelled more gross.

When Hyejeong headed toward the two Jeeps, she turned and saw a body near the rear of their car. Swallowing down the bitter taste building in , she went to the Linus and knelt. As weak as it sounds, she couldn’t look at his face as she placed a hand on the motionless shoulder. It too became nothing but ashes.

Heart heavy, Seolhyun walked to her. “Sorry.”

Hye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter