Destiny: [πεπρωμένο]

Elpis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Next Day

Jonghyun clasping Seolhyun’s cold hand in his. “Dear, you look so nervous. There is nothing to be worried about. The Council will ask you a few questions, and that is all.”

Seolhyun met Heechul’s stare over Jonghyun’s shoulder. He looked like there was something to be worried about. Sliding her hand free, she resisted the urge to wipe it across her pants. “I’m not nervous.”

Jonghyun patted her shoulder as he slid around her. “I must go in and take my seat. It’s about to begin.”

It being the whole reason Seolhyun had come up there. Watching the Council Guards hold the doors for Jonghyun, she decided she wasn’t nervous. She just wanted to get this over and done with.

Heechul’s lips were drawn tight when she faced him, passing a meaningful look at his niece. “Seolhyun, I expect you to be on your best behavior in there. Do not allow yourself to get drawn into any arguments. Only answer their questions, nothing more. Do you understand?”

Seolhyun’s eyes narrowed as she crossed her arms. “What do you all expect me to do? Go wild like a monkey and start cussing people?”

“Anything is possible, really. You’re known for your temper, Seolhyun. Some probably expect you to lose it,” said a deep, familiar voice from behind her.

Every cell of her skin recognized and still responded to that voice. Her brain screamed at her body to not turn around, but it didn’t listen.

Hyejeong looked every inch a Genuine. Dressed in that white, mafia-style outfit, she appeared even more untouchable to her.

Heechul cleared his throat, and Seolhyun realized she was staring.

Blushing fire-engine red, she turned to Heechul. “I know. Just answer their questions, blah, blah. I got it.”

Heechul glared at her. “I hope so.”

Seolhyun didn’t know how else to prove to them that she wasn’t going to jump out of her chair and slam-choke someone.

Heechul checked his watch. “We must head in. The Guards will call you when the Council is ready.”

“I won’t go in with you all?” Seolhyun asked.

Heechul shook his head and disappeared into the Council, which left Hyejeong and her alone with the silent Guards. “So… how have you been?”

Hyejeong stared somewhere over Seolhyun’s head. “Good. You?”

“Good. I’m okay. Have you found Yuna?” Seolhyun asked. “Is she okay?”

Hyejeong nodded and then glanced at the doors. “Yes, we found her in her room just before we checked on you. She’s fine, but she doesn’t remember a thing. It’s just like the night Yonghwa found you in the maze.”

The awkwardness of all of this pained her. “You can go in. You don’t have to wait out here.”

Her gaze fell on Seolhyun finally. “I do have to go in.”

Seolhyun nodded, biting the inside of her cheek. “I know.”

Hyejeong started toward the door, but then stilled. Seconds went by before she pivoted back to her. “Seolhyun, you can do this. I know you can.”

Their eyes locked, and Seolhyun in air. Speechless, she stood there as Hyejeong’s gaze left hers and roamed over her face. She couldn’t remember if she’d put on any makeup today. Maybe some lip gloss? Her hair was under control so it fell around her cheeks and covered her neck perfectly. She touched her lips, happy to find they felt glossy.

Hyejeong’s eyes zeroed in on her movements before she broke away, running a hand over her head. She let out a ragged sound and when she spoke, her voice was so low that Seolhyun barely heard her. “I think… I’ll remember how you looked last night for the rest of my life. Gods, you were so beautiful.”

Seolhyun might have epilepsy.

The next thing she knew Hyejeong had disappeared beyond the heavy Council doors, leaving her spinning in confusion. Hot then cold, kind and then . Seolhyun didn’t get it. Why told her that… and then walked away?

Leaning against the wall, Seolhyun let out a long, tired sigh. Now wasn’t the time to obsess over Hyejeong’s maniac mood swings. She needed to focus on–

The door to her left opened, revealing a Council Guard. “Miss Seolhyun Kim, your presence has been requested.”

Well, that came sooner than she’d expected. She pushed off the wall and followed the Guard into the Council. It looked different from what she remembered. Granted, the only time she had seen it was from the top balcony, hidden from the Genuines below. Titanium trim graced the curved benches that filled the ground floor of the coloseum. The symbols etched into the tiles were artfully done.

Those in attendance swiveled around in their seats as Seolhyun made her way down the center aisle. Openly curious stares met hers. Others were not so curious, more like downright hostile and suspicious.

Steeling herself, Seolhyun focused on the raised podium ahead instead of the violent roiling in her stomach. The Ministers sat like Gods about to rain down some great and terrible divine justice.

Only one didn’t seem bothered by her.

Reclining in one of the smaller thrones, dressed in lavish white robes, Jonghyun stared at Hongki. Or perhaps he was staring at Hongki’s throne, imagining himself in the seat that offered the closest thing their world had to absolute power.

An open chair faced the audience, directly between two thrones occupied by Head Minister Hongki and Minister Seohyun.

Seolhyun sat.

A hush of disapproval swept through the crowd of Genuines. Apparently, that’d been the wrong action. This is starting out just great. Lifting her eyes, Seolhyun glanced at the balcony and caught a shadow flickering back from the railing.

Jimin.

Seolhyun felt Hongki rise behind her, but she didn’t dare look. Casually, she rested her hands on the arms of the chair and stared out at the crowd in front of her. She searched out Hyejeong immediately. She was leaning forward in her seat, eyes fastened on the Ministers behind Seolhyun.

“Seolhyun Kim.” Head Minister Hongki drifted around her chair. He stopped beside her, tipping his head to the side. With an elegant wave toward the audience, he smiled broadly. “We must ask that you swear an oath to the Council and to the Gods that you will answer each question today with the utmost honesty. Do you understand?”

Seolhyun nodded, eyeing the Head Minister. Was it just her, or did the gray clinging to the hair around his temples appear to be spreading?

“Breaking this oath would be an act of treason not just against the Council, but also the Gods. Doing so would result in your removal from the Ephensy. This is also understood, I assume?”

“Yes.”

“Then do you, Seolhyun Kim, swear to disclose all information regarding the events that took place in Gimhae?”

She met Hongki’s pale eyes. “Yes.”

His smile turned weak as he held Seolhyun’s gaze. “Good. How have you found your accommodations here? Have they been to your liking?” Hongki tsked softly. “Look only at me, Seolhyun.”

Seolhyun’s fingers dug into the wood of the arms of the chair. “Everything has been lovely.”

One dark brow arched as Hongki glided to the other side of Seolhyun’s chair. “That pleases me to hear. Seolhyun, why did your mother leave the Ephensy three years ago?”

Seolhyun blinked tightly. “What does that have to do with what happened in Gimhae?”

“You have been asked a question– no, do not look out to the audience. Why did your mother leave the Ephensy three years ago?”

“I… I don’t know why.” She kept her eyes on Hongki this time. “She never told me.”

Hongki glanced at the audience while he rubbed his thumb and index finger together. “You do not know?”

“No.” Seolhyun heard herself say, staring at his hand.

“That is not true. You know why your mother left the Ephensy.”

Jerking her eyes away from his hand, Seolhyun shook her head. “My mother never told me why. All I know is what other people have said.”

“What were those reasons?”

Where was he going with this? Seolhyun followed his slow, purposeful movements. He was circling her. “She left because the Oracle told her I would become the next Elpis.”

“Why would that make her leave?”

Seolhyun couldn’t help it. Her gaze moved to the balcony, to where she knew Jimin watched.

“Seolhyun Kim, do not look away!” he snapped.

Now she understood why Heechul had looked so worried. Her entire body thrummed with the desire to plant her foot into Hongki’s face. She glared at him. “She wanted to protect me.”

A different Minister spoke next. The older Genuine woman’s voice rubbed over her skin. “From whom would she have wanted to protect you?”

Was Seolhyun supposed to continue looking at Hongki or the Minister? “I don’t know. Maybe she was worried about the Gods getting upset over there being two of us.”

“That would be a concern,” she responded. “There should not be two of you in the same generation.”

“What other reasons would there be?” asked Hongki.

Words tumbled out of Seolhyun’s mouth. Not good or smart ones. “Maybe she was afraid of what the Council would do.”

Hongki stiffened. “That is absurd.”

“It’s what she said.”

“Really?” His brows rose. “I thought she never told you why she pulled you from the Ephensy?”

Dammit.

Seolhyun could imagine the look on Hyejeong’s and Heechul’s faces. “She never told me why before she was... before she changed.”

“But she told you after she chose to become a Demon?” asked a male Minister.

“My mother didn’t choose to become a Demon!” Seolhyun gripped the arms of the chair again, drawing in several deep breaths. “She was forced to become one. And yes, she told me that I wouldn’t have lived if I’d stayed at the Ephensy.”

“What else did she tell you about why she left?” asked Hongki.

“That was it.”

“Why did you never report her during the three years you were missing?”

“She was my mom. I was afraid she would be punished.”

“Rightfully so,” said the elder Minister. “What she did was unforgiveable. From the moment she was told of your true nature, it was her duty to tell the Council.”

“That is true, Minister Sooyoung.” Hongki paused, placing a hand on the back of Seolhyun’s chair. “How is that you did not know your mother had turned?”

Air couldn’t fill Seolhyun’s lungs quickly enough. “I found her and I thought she was dead. I killed the Demon that… was hurting her.”

“Then what happened?” Hongki asked so softly Seolhyun felt sure no one else could hear him.

burned. “There was another Demon, and I… I ran.”

“You ran?” repeated Hongki, loud enough for the entire Council to hear.

“I thought she was dead.” Seolhyun swallowed, gaze falling to the floor. “I was trying to get back to the Ephensy.”

“So it took the perceived death of your mother for you to remember your duty to the Ephensy?” Hongki didn’t wait for Seolhyun to answer, which was a good thing. She had no answer for that. “You were found in Namgu? With four Demons, is that not correct?”

What did any of this have to do with what’d happened in Gimhae? “They were following me. It wasn’t like I was hanging out with them.”

“Your tone is one of disrespect,” snapped the elder Minister. “It would do you well to remember your position, Myx.”

Seolhyun bit down on her lip until she tasted blood.

Hongki drifted to the right. “Were you aware of your mother’s whereabouts after you returned to the Ephensy, Seolhyun?”

A fine trickle of sweat traced down Seolhyun’s spine. “No.”

“But you left the Ephensy in August to find her, did you not? After she took part in the Lake Waiji massacre? And you did find her?” Hongki’s full lips twisted cruelly.

He had tripped Seolhyun up again. She closed her eyes and inhaled. “I didn’t know where she was. I didn’t even know she was alive until Jonghyun told me.”

“Ah, yes.” He glanced behind her at Jonghyun. “What did you do once you found out she was alive?”

Punched and kissed a Genuine in the lips, but Seolhyun doubted he wanted to know that. Actually, he’d love to know that, because he’d use it to send her to the Masters within an hour. “Nothing.”

Hongki clucked his tongue. “But–”

Anger pulsed through Seolhyun, pounding in her temples. “What do these questions have to do with what my mother told me the Demons were planning? They want to overtake the Council. Turn Myxs and send them back to the Ephensys to kill. Isn’t that more important?”

Surprisingly, Hongki handled her temporary loss of sanity well. “It has everything to do with it, Seolhyun. What provoked you to leave the Ephensy in search for your mother?”

The need to lie was almost too great. “When I realized she’d killed at Lake Waiji, I left. I figured she’d find me and she did. I felt like… she was my responsibility, my problem.”

“Interesting.” Hongki roamed to the edge of the podium. Looking out over the audience he spoke louder. “Is it true you did not fight Helena when you saw her at the beach?”

Seolhyun glared at the back of Hongki’s head. “Yes.”

He tilted his head to the side. “Why?”

“I froze. She was my mother.”

“Myxs see through the elemental magic. We cannot. How could you see past the monster she’d become?” He pivoted around, smiling at her. “This is what we do not understand. You left Jeju, claiming that you believed she was dead. You came back to the Ephensy, and your mother followed you, leaving behind a trail of slaughtered Genuines and Guards.”

“What? There was only the attack at Lake Waiji. She didn’t–”

“You’ve been sadly mislead.” His smile grew wider, truer. “She was responsible for over twenty attacks across the island. We were able to track her progress right to the doorsteps of the Busan Ephensy. She sent a Demon Myx back to the Ephensy. Was that to draw you out?”

Twenty attacks? No one had told her that. Not Hyejeong, Heechul, nor even Jimin. They had to have known. Why wouldn’t they’ve told her that?

“Seolhyun Kim?”

She lifted her eyes. “Yes… I guess she wanted to draw me out.”

“It worked. You left the day after Inseong Kim had returned and murdered several Genuines.” Hongki strode across the podium. “Tell me, a Myx named Chanmi Kim was also with you in Gimhae?”

Seolhyun’s chest clenched. “Yes.”

Hongki nodded. “Did she try to stop you at the beach?”

“Yes.”

“Is this the same Myx who died a few weeks ago?” asked Minister Sooyoung. “In a Demon attack while she was with this one?”

“I believe so,” Hongki answered.

“How convenient,” the male Minister murmured, but it sounded like he had screamed those words. “While you were in Gimhae with Helena, what did she tell you the Demons planned to do?”

Somewhat sick to her stomach, Seolhyun told the Council what her mom had planned. Remembering her instructions, she didn’t tell them it was actually Ong who elaborated on the whole thing. Nothing crossed Hongki’s face as he watched her. Honestly, Seolhyun didn’t even think he cared about what she was saying.

“They plan to attack the Council and bring us down?” The old Minister snorted. “This is ridiculous. All of this.”

Hongki chuckled then. “It is to think that a bunch of addicts could form a cohesive plan.”

“Addicts? Yes, they’re addicted to Alch, but they are the most dangerous kind of addict,” said Minister Seohyun, speaking for the first time. “We cannot dismiss what they are capable of. Knowing they can turn Myxs changes things. And obviously the Gods are questioning our ability to rein the Demons back in.”

This started a battle of wills for the next several minutes. A few Ministers didn’t like the idea of ignoring the Demons’ plans, while the others simply didn’t take the threat seriously. Suggestions were thrown around, like increasing the number of Linuses and sending them out to target large invasion of Demons, but the majority of Ministers didn’t see any reason to do so.

Seolhyun’s stomach filled with dread as understanding dawned. Hongki and much of the Council outright dismissed the Demons’ plans. Distracted by the other Ministers, she was able to look out over the crowd without Hongki ing her out.

Hyejeong whispered to Heechul, her hands tight and white-knuckled on the back of the bench in front of her. Seolhyun then looked up at the balcony. She could only imagine what Jimin thought of all of this.

Hongki finally returned his attention to her. “Helena planned on turning you into a Demon?”

Seolhyun wanted to say no , but she decided against it. “Yes.”

He turned his hawkish nose into the air. “Why?”

Seolhyun rubbed her hand over her forehead. “She wanted me to become the Elpis as a Demon. She thought she’d be able to control me then.”

“So she wanted to use you?” asked Hongki. “To do what?”

“She wanted to make sure I didn’t come after her, I guess.”

“What would you do for her?”

She met Hongki’s stare. Somehow, she thought he already knew this part. “She wanted me to take out the other Elpis… and she wanted me to help the Demons with their plans.”

“Oh yes, their plans to take out the Council and enslave the Genuines?” Hongki shook his head, smiling. “How many times were you tagged, Seolhyun?”

Seolhyun’s entire body tensed. “I don’t know. A lot.”

He appeared to consider this. “Enough to be turned, you think?”

Nightmares of those hours locked away with Daniel and Ong haunted her still. Maybe one more tag and she would’ve crossed over to the dark side. Cold sweat broke out across her forehead.

“Seolhyun?”

She blinked, bringing Hongki’s face back into focus. “Almost enough.”

“Did you try to stop them? Trained or not, you had already killed two Demons by then.”

Disbelief climbed the back of .

“Tagging is very painful,” Hongki continued, stopping beside her for what felt like the hundredth time. His face seemed fuller when he stood close. “How could you allow that to happen repeatedly? It seems that a Myx would do everything and anything to prevent from being tagged.”

“I couldn’t fight them.”

His dark brows rose in amazement. “You couldn’t, or wouldn’t?”

Seolhyun closed her eyes, struggling with patience. “I promised her I wouldn’t if she didn’t kill Chanmi. I had no other choice.”

“There are always choices, Seolhyun.” He paused, disgust curling his lip as he stared down at her. “To allow something so revolting seems suspicious. Perhaps you wanted to be turned.”

“Head Minister,” Jonghyun spoke up then. “I understand that some of these questions are necessary, but Seolhyun did not submit to those mayhems willingly. To even suggest something like that seems unnatural and cruel.”

“Is that so?” Hongki sneered at Seolhyun.

“Wait a second,” she said, his words finally sinking in. “Are you suggesting that I wanted to be turned into something that evil? That I asked for it?”

Hongki raised his hands conceitedly. “How do you think we’d interpret it?”

Seolhyun looked at the audience then, briefly catching a pained look on Heechul’s face. “Do you know that sounds like a ’s motto? She wore a short skirt, therefore she wanted it?”

Several gasps could be heard from the audience. It seemed the word ‘’ was unseemly. The smug look slowly slipped from Hongki’s face. “Seolhyun Kim, you are out of line.”

Her brain clicked off at that point. What Daniel had said to her before he’d tagged her filled her mind. It was like Hongki thought the same thing. That she wanted to be tagged, that she enjoyed it.

Seolhyun stood. “You’re telling me I’m out of line?”

“No one gave you leave.” Hongki drew himself up to his full height.

“Oh, I’m not leaving.” All eyes were on Seolhyun. She reached down and pulled her sweater up and over her head. There was a moment when no one seemed to breathe. She met the open mouthed stares.

“What in the world are you doing, Seolhyun?” demanded Jonghyun.

Ignoring him, Seolhyun stepped away from the chair and held her arms out in front of her. “Does this look like something I wanted to go along with? That I asked for this?”

Against their will, dozens and dozens of eyes fastened on her arms. Most gasped and shuddered, looking away quickly. Others didn’t. As if they couldn’t tear their eyes from the patchy red skin and its unnatural shine.

Her gaze flitted across the floor as Hongki looked like he was having a heart attack beside her. She saw the proud tilt to Minister Seohyun’s chin. A few rows in front of her she saw Jasmine’s horrified gaze. Further back, behind the Council members, Heechul paled. It kind of hit her that he’d never seen her scars, only caught glimpses of the ones on her neck, not how bad they were.

Seolhyun felt a hot flush crawl up her neck, but the stunned look of pride on Hyejeong’s face gave her the confidence to face the Ministers.

She wondered what Jimin’s expression looked like. The idiot was probably smiling. She loved it when Seolhyun was irrational, and this was really irrational.

Twisting around, Seolhyun showed them her arms. “They look like they hurt, don’t they? They did. It’s the worst kind of pain you can imagine.”

“Seolhyun, sit down. We get your point.” Hongki reached for her, but she stepped aside.

A Guard moved in, picking up her sweater. He held it, his eyes nervously bouncing between Hongki and her.

Seolhyun glanced at the other Guards, hoping they weren’t planning on body slamming her to the ground. All but one was Myx and none of them seemed willing to stop her. Tipping her head at the Ministers, Seolhyun tried to keep the smile off her face. “So do you really think I went along with my mother? That I wanted this?”

Minister Seohyun paled and looked away, shaking her head sadly. The remaining Ministers reacted much like the audience had. Either way, Seolhyun was pretty sure she’d gotten her point across.

A furious shade of red covered Hongki’s cheeks. “Are you done?”

Seolhyun met his scowl with her own. Leisurely, she went back to her chair and sat down. “I guess so.”

Hongki ripped the sweater out of the Guard’s hand. Seolhyun could tell he wanted to throw it at her, but with amazing self-control, he handed it over. Seolhyun didn’t put it back on. “Now where were we?”

“We were at the point where you were accusing me of wanting to become a Demon.”

Several Ministers inhaled sharply. Hongki looked seconds away from exploding. Leaning down so that their faces were inches apart, he spoke low and quick. “You are an unnatural thing, do you understand me? An omen of death to our kind and to our Gods. The both of you.”

Seolhyun shrunk back, wide-eyed. ‘Omen of death’ sounded extreme and crazy.

“Head Minister,” called Jonghyun. “We could not hear your question. Would you care to speak again?”

Hongki straightened. “I asked her if there was anything more she would like to add.”

Seolhyun’s jaw hit the floor.

He smiled evenly. “There are areas besides the event in Gimhae that concern me greatly. Your behaviors before you left the Ephensy and the fighting you have taken part in upon your return have served you a great disadvantage, I’m afraid. And how is it that the night the Ephensy was breached in Busan, you were outside your dorm after the curfew implemented for Myxs?”

Seolhyun so knew where this was going, so she cut to the chase. “I didn’t let the Demons in, if that is what you’re suggesting.”

Hongki’s smile turned sour. “So it appears. Then there is your behavior since you arrived here. You accused a Genuine of using a compulsion against you, did you not?”

“She did what?” screeched the old female Minister. “To accuse a Genuine of such an act is shocking. Was there any proof, Minister Hongki?”

Hongki paused dramatically. “My Guards could not find anything to support the claim.”

Seolhyun pictured rushing across the podium and kicking Hongki in the groin over and over again.

Hongki addressed the Council as his voice rang loud through the coloseum. “I fear that we have a greater concern than Demons pulling together and attacking us. What you see sitting before us may look like an ordinary Myx, but we all know that is not the case. In a matter of a few months, she will become the second Elpis. If she is even as uncontrollable as she is now, what do you think will occur when she Awakens?”

Seolhyun’s heart stuttered, missing a beat.

“As the Head Minister, it pains me deeply to suggest this, but I fear we have no other choice. We must protect the future of our race. I petition that we remove Seolhyun Kim from the Ephensy and place her under the supervision of the Masters.”

Seolhyun jerked forward blindly. She couldn’t even move as the rush of fear churned her stomach into raw knots. This was what Hongki wanted, the whole reason for her being there. It had nothing to do with what the Demons planned.

“Minister Hongki, my stepdaughter has committed no crime that warrants servitude,” Jonghyun objected. “She has to be found guilty before you can expel her from the Ephensy and place her into servitude.”

“As the Head Minister–”

“You have a lot of power as the Head Minister. You can expel her from the Ephensy, but you cannot sentence her to servitude without due cause or by vote of the Council,” Jonghyun said. “Those are the rules.”

Seolhyun looked up, her eyes meeting Hyejeong’s. This was one of those rare moments in her life that she knew exactly what Hyejeong was thinking.

She then twisted around in the chair. Hongki glared at Jonghyun, but she saw that Jonghyun was right. Hongki could expel her, but he would need the Council to do so, and Seolhyun had a feeling if the Council agreed it would be the last thing they ever did.

“Then I call for a vote.” Hongki’s voice was like ice.

Seolhyun calculated the distance from where she sat and the door to her right. Her muscles tensed as she let go of the chair and twisted sideways. Her sweater fell from her l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter