Genesis: [γένεση]

Elpis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seolhyun overslept the following morning and missed her first two classes. It kind of worked out, since she didn’t have to face Lisa after trying to choke her the day before, but the exhaustion from the previous night continued to drag at her.

She glanced at her notebook. She took a deep breath and scribbled a quick note to Yuna, telling her not to worry about the drink incident and thanking her for telling Seolhyun about her father. Then she wrote two sentences under the brief paragraph.

Closing her dorm door, she looked up. Seunghyub stepped out from behind one of the columns, eyeing the gym bag on her shoulder. “Are you, like, watching me?”

He smiled tightly. “I’m here to make sure you are safe.”

“And that is kind of creepy.” Seolhyun locked the door, taking a careful step backward. “Is this Jonghyun’s idea?”

“No.” He folded his hands behind his back. “It was Dean Heechul’s request.”

She stilled. “For real?”

“For real,” he replied. “You should get going. Your next class will begin soon.”

Seolhyun nodded absently as Seunghyub trailed her from behind, keeping a discreet distance. After spitting out her gum, she walked into the Fighting Class. Instructor Jonghoon looked absurdly pleased with her appearance.

She dropped her bag and leaned against the wall, pretending that she wasn’t bothered by the fact that she had no one to talk to. The last time she’d even been in this class, Chanmi had still been alive.

Pressing her lips together, she let her gaze roam the room. Standing near the wall, Rowoon grinned at something another Myx said. Then he looked straight at her and smirked.

Seolhyun held his stare until he looked away. Lisa stood next to Rose, tying her blonde hair into a ponytail. Bruises marked the tan skin of her neck.

Seolhyun glanced down at her hands. She’d done that. Gods, what had she been thinking? Guilt and shame tore through her. When she looked up, Lisa was watching her. Her stare wasn’t hostile or anything just… sad?

Seolhyun looked away, chewing on her lip. She did miss her friends. And she really missed Chanmi.

Class quickly began, and even though she was tired, she threw herself into it. Here, in training, she didn’t think of anything. There was no sorrow or loss, no fate to deal with or someone to save.

Even slow on her feet, Seolhyun was a bit faster than Rose. She was able to keep her pinned, but she was slowing down, growing weary.

Rose broke her hold and tipped her hips, rolling Seolhyun onto her back. Staring down at her, she frowned. “Are… are you feeling okay? You look really pale.”

Seolhyun really needed to Google how long the lingering effects of a cold lasted, because this was seriously getting annoying. All she wanted was a bed.

Before she could respond to Rose’s question, Instructor Jonghoon appeared behind them. “If you’re able to talk, perhaps you are not training hard enough.” He sure loved to terrorize her in class. He’d missed her so much. “Rose, off the mats.”

Rose stood and slinked off, leaving Seolhyun with the Instructor. Around them, students were sparring. Seolhyun rolled to her feet and shifted her weight restlessly, preparing herself mentally for whatever Jonghoon was going to throw at her. She turned away, placing her hands on her hips.

Jonghoon’s hand smacked down on her shoulder. “One should never turn their back in war.”

Shrugging his grip off, Seolhyun faced him. “I didn’t realize we were at war.”

Something gleamed in his eyes. “We are always at war, especially in my class.” He looked down his hawkish nose at her, which was a common practice since he was a Genuine who’d once been a Linus. “Speaking of which, it is nice of you to finally join us, Seolhyun. I was beginning to believe you that training was no longer necessary.”

Several responses rolled to the tip of her tongue, but Seolhyun knew better than to let them out.

He looked disappointed. “I heard that you fought during the Demons attack.”

Knowing fewer words usually ended with less of her being kicked, Seolhyun nodded while she pictured a Pegasus landing on his head and kicking him in the neck.

“You also fought the Furies and survived. Only warriors could claim such a defeat.”

Seolhyun’s gaze slid past him to where Lisa and Rose now stood watching her from the edge of the mats. Chanmi used to be next to Lisa and eyeballing Rose.

“Seolhyun?”

Seolhyun focused on him, mentally cringing. She should never take her eyes off Jonghoon when he was talking. “I did fight the Furies.”

Interest sparked in his eyes. “Show me what you did.”

Caught off-guard, she took a step back. “What do you mean?”

A small smile tugged up one side of his lips. “Show me how you fought the Furies.”

Seolhyun curled her lips nervously. She had no idea how she’d fought the Furies and survived. “I don’t know. Everything was happening so fast.”

“You don’t know.” Jonghoon raised his hand and the sleeve of his shirt slipped up his arm, revealing the downward torch tattoo. “I find that hard to believe.”

Seolhyun experienced a momentary loss of sanity. “What’s up with the tattoo?”

His jaw clenched, and she expected him to attack. But he didn’t. “Rowoon!”

Jumping onto the mats, Rowoon came to stop and rested his hands on his narrow hips. “Yes Sir?”

Jonghoon’s eyes held Seolhyun’s. “I want you to spar.”

Seolhyun glanced at Rowoon’s smiling face. What Jonghoon wanted her to do was show him how she’d fought the Furies and survived, but using Rowoon to do so? It didn’t matter who she was fighting, it’s just she couldn’t show what she didn’t know.

As Jonghoon headed off the mats, he stopped and whispered to Rowoon. Whatever he was saying brought an easy grin to Rowoon’s face right before he nodded.

Wiping a hand over her sweaty forehead, Seolhyun slowed down her breathing and tried to ignore the fine tremors running through her legs. Even tired she could take Rowoon. He was a good fighter, but she was better.

“You’re going to be hurting by the end of class,” Rowoon taunted, cracking his knuckles.

Seolhyun raised a brow and motioned him forward with one hand.

She waited until he was only a foot away before she launched a brutal offense. She was fast and light on her feet. Rowoon would stumble in one direction to avoid a sharp and end up with a sideways kick in his back. Before long, he ended up on his back, panting and swearing from a fierce spin kick.

“I’m going to be hurting?” Seolhyun said, standing above him. “Duh.”

Breathing harshly, Rowoon jumped onto his feet. “Wait and see, baby.”

“Baby?” Seolhyun repeated. “I’m not your baby.”

Rowoon didn’t respond to that. He flew into a scissor kick, which Seolhyun dodged. Those kicks were brutal. Blow after blow, they went after each other, each hit more vicious then the last. Admittedly, Seolhyun was taking this a little too seriously. She wasn’t going easy on him.

Their sparring eventually drew the attention of the other students. Seolhyun was only slightly surprised when Rowoon’s fist glanced off her jaw and Instructor Jonghoon didn’t call the fight off. If anything, he looked like he was getting his amusement by watching the fight.

Rowoon swung his fist around again, but this time Seolhyun caught his hand and twisted it backward. With one powerful horse-like kick, she took his legs right out from under him.

There wasn’t a moment to celebrate his obvious defeat. She saw Rowoon move for her legs. Seolhyun tried to jump like they’d been taught, but worn down, she was too slow. His leg caught hers, and Seolhyun landed on her side, immediately rolling out of range.

Rowoon whipped around, his kick caught her in the ribs. Pain exploded, so unexpected and so intense, that she froze.

“I’m sure that’s not how you defeated the Furies.” Instructor Jonghoon sounded smug.

Sensing that Rowoon wasn’t done yet, she brought her hands up. Something warm gushed into , and she saw flashes of light. Blood, she tasted blood. She saw Rowoon’s boot come up one more time and he was going to stomp Seolhyun’s head in.

That was so not a part of training.

At that last possible second, someone caught Rowoon by the neck and tossed him to the mat.

Seolhyun’s hands flew to . Something sticky and warm covered them immediately. All she tasted was blood. Hesitantly, she ran her tongue along the inside of , checking to make sure she hadn’t lost any teeth. When she figured that she still had a full set, she pushed to her feet, spitting out blood. Then she lunged at Rowoon.

She came up short. Shock nearly brought her to her knees.

Rowoon was already preoccupied with kicking someone else’s ribs, and that someone was Hyejeong.

Pain was momentarily forgotten as Seolhyun vaguely wondered where Hyejeong had come from. She didn’t watch her classes anymore. She didn’t even train her, so it wasn’t like she had a reason to be hanging around these rooms.

But she was here now.

Captivated by the odd blend of grace and brutality, Seolhyun watched Hyejeong pull Rowoon off the mat by the scruff of his shirt. Their faces were inches apart. The last time she had seen Hyejeong that angry was when she’d gone after Jimin the night she’d been slipped the y potion.

“That is not how you spar with your partner,” Hyejeong said in a cold, low voice. “I’m sure Instructor Jonghoon has taught you better than that.”

Rowoon’s eyes grew impossibly large. He was on the tips of his toes, arms dangling at his sides. It was then that Seolhyun realized Rowoon’s nose was bleeding, bleeding worse than was. Someone had hit him, and that someone most likely being Hyejeong.

She let go of Rowoon. He fell to his knees, cradling his face. Hyejeong spun around, eyes quickly assessing the damage. Then she turned to Instructor Jonghoon, speaking too low and quick for Seolhyun or the class to understand.

Before she knew what was happening, Hyejeong crossed the mats and caught hold of her arm. They didn’t speak as she walked her from the training room.

“My bag,” Seolhyun whispered.

“I’ll have someone retrieve it for you.”

In the hall, Hyejeong grasped Seolhyun’s shoulders and turned her around. Her eyes went from dark gray to silver when her gaze fell to the lip. “Instructor Jonghoon never should’ve allowed it to go that far.”

“Yeah, I don’t think he cared.”

Hyejeong swore.

Seolhyun wanted to say something. Like ‘these things normally happen…’ or at least, about how it could be expected since she didn’t have a lot of friends here. Or maybe she should thank Hyejeong, but by the emotions playing out across her striking face she could tell Hyejeong wouldn’t appreciate it.

Hyejeong was furious, furious for all the wrong reasons. She’d reacted as if a common guy had hit Seolhyun, and not a Myx. As a Genuine, there had been no reason for her to intervene. That was the Instructor’s job. Hyejeong had forgotten that in a moment of complete, unknown rage.

“I shouldn’t have done that– lost my temper,” she said quietly, sounding and looking vulnerable for someone Seolhyun believed to be so powerful. “I shouldn’t have hit him.”

Seolhyun’s eyes flicked across her face as Hyejeong placed her hand on her lower back, toward the med office.

The Genuine doctor took one look at Seolhyun’s face and shook her head. “On the table.”

Seolhyun hoisted herself up. “Is it going to scar?”

The doctor grabbed a white bottle and several wads of cotton. “Not sure yet, but try not to talk right now. At least until I make sure there is no damage inside the lip, okay?”

“If it scars, I’m gonna be so pissed.”

“Stop talking,” Hyejeong said, leaning against the wall.

The doctor shot her a smile, apparently not curious as to why Seolhyun had been escorted by a Genuine. She turned back to her. “This may sting a bit.” She dabbed the cotton over Seolhyun’s lip.

Sting? It burned like crazy. Seolhyun nearly jumped off the table.

“Antiseptic,” she said, offering a sympathetic look. “We want to make sure you don’t get any infections. Then you would scar.”

It took the doctor a couple of minutes to clean up Seolhyun’s lip. She waited, somewhat impatiently, for the verdict.

“I don’t think you’re going to need stitches on the lip itself. It’s going to swell and be a bit tender for a while.”

“Does it make my lips more kissable?”

The doctor made a face.

Hyejeong’s expression was unreadable.

The doctor tipped Seolhyun’s head back and gently poked at . “But I think we’re going to need a stitch right… under your lip here.”

Seolhyun winced as the doctor started poking there too. She focused on her shoulder.

Show no pain to Hyejeong. Show no pain to Hyejeong. Show no pain to Hyejeong.

The doctor dipped her fingers in the brown jar and pressed the torn skin together. Seolhyun yelped as a scalding pain radiated from the skin under her lip and spread across her face.

Hyejeong started forward, stopping when she seemed to realize there was nothing she could, or should, do. Her hands fell to her sides, warm gaze met Seolhyun’s.

“Just a little bit more,” the doctor said soothingly. “Then it will all be over. You’re lucky you didn’t lose any teeth.”

Then she squeezed the skin once more. This time Seolhyun didn’t make a sound, but she squeezed her eyes shut until lights danced behind her closed lids. She wanted to jump off the table and find Rowoon. Punching him in the face would make her feel better. She believed in that.

The doctor stepped back to the cabinets. Returning with a damp wipe, she started to clean the blood away, mindful of the stitch. “Next time you train her, be a little more careful. She’s only this young and pretty once. Don’t ruin it for her.”

Seolhyun’s eyes snapped to Hyejeong. “But–”

“Yes ma’am,” Hyejeong interrupted, cutting Seolhyun a stern look.

Seolhyun stared back at her.

The doctor sighed, shaking her head again. “Why do you Myxs choose this? Surely, the alternative is better. Anyway, do you have any other injuries?”

“Uh, no,” Seolhyun mumbled. The doctor’s words surprised her.

“Yes,” Hyejeong said. “Check the left side of her ribs.”

“Oh come on,” Seolhyun said. “It’s not that bad–” Her words were cut off when the doctor tugged up the hem of her shirt.

She pressed on the ribs, running her hands along the side. Her fingers were cool and quick. “None are broken, but this…” She frowned, leaning closer. Inhaling roughly, she dropped Seolhyun’s shirt and faced Hyejeong. It seemed to take her a moment to collect herself. “Her ribs aren’t broken, but they are bruised. She should take it easy for a few days. Also, she should limit talking so the stitching is not pulled.”

Hyejeong looked like she wanted to laugh at the last suggestion. The doctor left the room pretty quickly when she agreed.

“Why did you let her believe you did this?” Seolhyun asked. “You’re not even training me anymore.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be limiting your speaking?”

Seolhyun rolled her eyes. “Now she thinks you’re some great Myx -beater or something.”

Hyejeong pointed to the door. “Your Instructor allowed it to happen. The doctor sees more cases like this than she probably cares to.”

And she probably saw very few Genuines who even cared enough to make sure the Myx was okay. Seolhyun sighed. “What were you doing over here, anyway?”

There was a faint smile. “Didn’t I tell you that making sure you stay safe is a full-time job?”

Seolhyun started to smile, but quickly remembered not to. “Ow.” She ignored Hyejeong’s amused look. “So why were you here, for real?”

“I just happened to be over here and looked in the room.” Hyejeong shrugged. “I saw you sparring and watched. The rest is history.”

Seolhyun didn’t really believe her, but she let it go. “I would’ve had Rowoon, you know? But this damn cold has kicked my .”

Hyejeong’s gaze settled on her again. “You shouldn’t be sick.” She stepped forward, reaching out and carefully placing her hand around Seolhyun’s chin. She frowned. “How did you get sick?”

“I can’t be the first Myx to get sick.”

Her thumb moved over Seolhyun’s chin, careful to avoid the tender spot. That was Hyejeong, always so careful with Seolhyun even though she knew she was tough. “I don’t know,” she said, dropping her hand.

Unsure of how to respond, Seolhyun shrugged. “Anyway, thanks for, um… getting Rowoon to stop.”

A hard look flickered across her face. “I will make sure Rowoon is punished for what he has done. The Ephensy has enough on its shoulders without Myxs trying to kill one another.”

Seolhyun lightly touched her chin and winced. “I don’t know if it was his idea.”

Hyejeong grabbed her hand and pulled it away from her face. “What do you mean?”

Before Seolhyun could answer, a fine shiver went down her spine. Seconds later, the door to the room flew up.

Jimin came through, eyes wide and lips thinned. Her gaze went from Seolhyun’s lip to where Hyejeong held her hand. “What the hell happened?”

Confusion and then understanding plastered on Hyejeong’s face. She released Seolhyun’s hand and stepped back. “She was sparring.”

Jimin shot Hyejeong a scornful look as she made her way to where Seolhyun sat on the table. She clasped Seolhyun’s chin with two slender fingers, just like Hyejeong had. Seolhyun’s heart didn’t flutter, but the cord did. “Who were you sparring with?”

“It’s no big deal.”

“It doesn’t look that way.” Jimin’s eyes narrowed. “And you hurt elsewhere. I can feel it.”

Gods, she really needed to work on that pinky wall shield.

“Thank you for keeping an eye on her, Hyejeong.” Jimin didn’t take her eyes off Seolhyun. “I have it taken care of.”

Hyejeong opened to say something, but then she closed it. She turned around and left the room quietly. Seolhyun’s urge to jump off the table and run after her was hard to ignore.

“So what happened to your face?” Jimin demanded again.

“I broke it,” Seolhyun muttered, looking away from her.

Jimin tilted her chin to the side, frowning. “I can tell. This was really done while sparring?”

“Yeah, well, it was done to my face in class.”

Her frown deepened. “What is that supposed to mean?”

Seolhyun knocked her hand away and slid off the table. “It’s nothing. Just a busted lip.”

“Busted lip?” Jimin pulled her back. “I swear I see a boot print on your chin.”

“Really– is it that bad?”

Jimin grasped her hand, pulling Seolhyun closer to her chest. “Who were you sparring with?”

Seolhyun sighed and tried to wiggle free, but it was no use. Jimin, and the Elpis cord, wanted her to be here with her. “It doesn’t matter.”

Her embrace loosened a little. “Does it hurt?”

Lying was pointless, but that’s what Seolhyun did. “Not at all.”

“Yeah,” Jimin murmured against the top of her head. “So who did you spar with?”

Seolhyun closed her eyes. Being this close to her, with the bond and everything, it was easy to stop thinking. “I always get paired with Rowoon.”

Jimin sighed. “Listen. I have to travel with Jonghyun during the winter break. I won’t return until the end of February.”

“What?” The cord’s buzzing was getting excessive, making it hard to concentrate. Seolhyun was kind of surprised that Jimin would leave so close to her nineteenth birthday, since she’d figured that Jimin would’ve a camp inside her room in the weeks leading up to the Awakening. “W-why so sudden? Where are you going?”

“To the Seoul Ephensy,” she answered, sliding her other hand into Seolhyun’s hair. “There have been some problems that demand the Council’s attention.”

“I want to go with you. My father is–”

“No, you can’t go. It’s not safe for you there.”

“I don’t care. I want to go. I have to see him.” By the look on Jimin’s face, Seolhyun could tell she wasn’t gaining any approval. But seeing her father was that important. She needed to know if he’s still alive or not.

“Heechul has assured Jonghyun that you’ll be well protected. Your darling Genuine would slit her wrist before she let anything happen to you.”

Seolhyun gaped.

“What?” Jimin moved her hand up gently until it rested under Seolhyun’s rib cage. “It’s the truth. And Yonghwa and Seunghyub will be here, watching over you.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter