Yearning: [λαχτάρα]

Elpis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Muscles screamed to engage. Thoughts were covered in a heady, amber haze of power.

Seolhyun’s blood itched for a fight.

She was the Elpis. She wielded control over the four elements, and the fifth and the most powerful, Ether.

She fueled the God Killer.

Yet, all she could do was pace back and forth. Caged and made helpless by the markings etched in the cement above her and by bars crafted by a God.

“Seolhyun.”

Of course, she wasn’t alone. Oh no. Her own personal mind was a party for two. Voices… there were so many voices in her head.

“Do you remember?”

Seolhyun tipped her head to the right, feeling the muscles stretch and the bones crack. Then she repeated the movements to the left, her fingers moving. Pinky, middle, pointer… over and over.

“Seolhyun, I know you can hear me.”

She looked over her shoulder, lip curling at what she saw. Hyejeong stood on the other side of the bars. There, she was an immovable force. But without the protections from Hephaestus or Apollo between them, the girl would become an insignificant nothing.

Seolhyun’s hand flew to the crystal rose on its own accord, feeling the smooth and delicate edges. Hyejeong was her everything.

Was she?

Sharp pain sliced between her temples, and she snarled. Sending Hyejeong a hateful look, she faced the bare cement wall. “You should have kept me under the concoction.”

“I should have never put you on it,” she countered. “That wasn’t the way to get to you.”

Seolhyun laughed coldly. “Oh, you got to me all right.”

There was a pause. “I know you’re still in there, Seolhyun. Underneath that connection, you are still you. The girl I love.”

Seolhyun opened , but there were no words. Only memories of standing by the stream and telling Hyejeong she loved her, and then an endless stream of thoughts and actions centering on her. Months, if not years, of them cycling over and over again until she couldn’t distinguish between the past, present, and what was to become of her future.

As if sensing where her thoughts had gone, Hyejeong said, “A few days ago you said you loved me.”

“And a few days ago I was high on soda, thanks to you.” Seolhyun whirled around, just in time to see her flinch. Good. “You put me under the concoction.”

Hyejeong in a sharp breath, but didn’t look away in shame or guilt. She met and held Seolhyun’s gaze, locked onto eyes she knew she loathed with every fiber of Jimin’s being. “I did.”

Seolhyun took a deep, heavy breath. “I will get out of here eventually, Hyejeong. And I will kill you. Slowly.”

“And you’ll murder everyone I care for. I know. We’ve been here before.” Hyejeong leaned against the bars. There wasn’t a hint of stubble on her smooth face this time around. She was in her Linus uniform, all black. But there were dark shadows under those striking eyes of hers. “I know you won’t hurt me if you get out,” she continued. “I believe in that.”

“Sad.”

“What is?”

“That someone as good-looking as you is so incredibly stupid.” Seolhyun smiled as Hyejeong’s eyes narrowed. The moment they flashed silver, Seolhyun knew she’d hit a nerve. That made her all warm and fuzzy for about three seconds, and then she realized she was still in a freaking cage. Pissing Hyejeong off helped pass the time, but it didn’t change anything.

There were better things she could be doing.

She just needed to wait and bide her time. The low-level static was in her head. Constantly. All she needed to do was tap into it, but the moment Hyejeong even thought she was doing that, she started talking.

Going to the mattress on the floor, Seolhyun sat down and tucked her knees under her chin. She watched Hyejeong watch her. And she tried to keep the voice that popped up whenever she was around quiet. She didn’t like or understand that voice.

Hyejeong ran a hand through her hair, and then pushed back from the bars. “Do you know what’s happening out there, right now?”

Seolhyun shrugged. Was she supposed to care? All she cared about was getting out of there and connecting with her Jimin.

Jimin had promised her.

“Do you remember what Poseidon did to Ephti Island?”

How in the hell was she supposed to forget that? Poseidon had wiped out the entire Ephensy there.

“Well, it’s going to get worse, Seolhyun. Half of the Olympian Twelve want to make war on Jimin and Jonghyun,” she continued. “And I’m sure Jimin knows that. Maybe that’s what she wants, but is that what you want? Do you know how many innocent lives will be lost– have been lost? Both Mortals and Myxs? Is that something you can live with?”

Seolhyun really wasn’t living right now, considering she was in a cage.

“Because I know deep down you couldn’t live with yourself, knowing you helped cause the death of thousands, if not millions… especially those Myxs. If Jimin goes through with this, they will die.”

“Tsk. She is annoying.”

“Chanmi– do you remember how you felt after Chanmi–”

“Don’t talk about her!”

Hyejeong’s brows shot up. Shock splashed across her face and then she darted toward those damn bars, grasping them. “Yes, Chanmi, Seolhyun! Do you remember how you felt when she died? How you blamed yourself?”

“Shut up, Hyejeong.”

“Do you remember being so torn up that you stayed in bed for days? Your heart was broken when you lost her. Do you think she’d want to see you do this to yourself? Her death was a wrong place at the wrong time thing, but this? There will be thousands of Chanmis, but they will be your fault.”

Seolhyun pressed her head against her knees and clamped her hands over her ears. But that did nothing to stop the rising tide of emotion beating at her or the ache in her temples that was quickly turning into a sharp, stabbing pain.

And it didn’t stop Hyejeong. “What about your mother?”

“Shut up!” Seolhyun screamed.

“This wasn’t what she wanted!” The bars shook as she hit them with what Seolhyun guessed were her fists. That had to hurt. “This is what she died to protect you from. How dare you just roll over and let Jimin do this to–”

Seolhyun’s entire body snapped like a rubber band pulled too tight. “Shut–”

The buzzing in her ears roared, drowning out Hyejeong and everything else. In an instant, Jimin was there, slipping through her veins like warm, rich honey.

“Listen to me.” The words were in Seolhyun’s thoughts, soothing like summer air. “Listen to me, Seolhyun. Remember what we will do together once we connect.”

“Seolhyun,” Hyejeong snapped.

“Seriously, doesn’t she have anything better to do?” Jimin’s exasperated sigh shuddered through Seolhyun’s body. “She doesn’t matter. We do.”

Seolhyun’s fingers tightened in her hair.

“She’s in there now, isn’t she?” Anger deepened Hyejeong’s voice. The bars shook again. At the rate she was going, her knuckles were going to be mush. Just like Seolhyun’s brain. “Don’t listen to her, Seolhyun. Please.”

Jimin’s laugh was like chips of ice. “Is she coming in there? No one will be able to stop you.”

Seolhyun pulled her hair until tiny needles stabbed at her scalp.

“Seolhyun, look at me.” The desperate edge in Hyejeong’s voice reached a part of Seolhyun that she wasn’t entirely familiar with. Her eyes opened and latched onto hers. “Together we can break the bond between you and Jimin.”

“Tell her you don’t want to break the bond.”

Amazing… and creepy how much her Jimin could see and hear when they were connected. It was like having another person living inside her.

“Even if you make it to her, she’ll drain you just like a Demon would. Maybe she won’t mean to, but she will.”

Seolhyun’s heart tripped up.

“I’d never do that to you, Seolhyun. All I want is to keep you safe, to make you happy.”

“I’m not going to give up,” Hyejeong said. Blessed silence stretched out for a few heartbeats. “Do you hear that, Jimin? It’s not going to ever happen.”

“She’s annoying.”

You’re both annoying. Then Seolhyun said out loud, “There’s nothing to give up on, Hyejeong.”

“There is everything.”

Those words struck her as odd.

There was no her in this. Sort of like there’d been no Jimin in this before she’d Awakened. She understood that now. One soul split apart. Solaris and the First–

Sharp pain exploded behind her eyes.

“Don’t.” Jimin’s whisper carried in her veins. “Don’t think about them.”

Seolhyun frowned.

And then Jimin kept chatting. So did Hyejeong. But she wasn’t stupid enough to come into the cell. Even tired and held back by the wards on the walls, Seolhyun was sure she could take her. Minutes went by, maybe hours, while the two of them slaughtered her brain cells.

When it was all over, she sagged against the mattress. One hell of a headache thumped. Hyejeong only left because someone, maybe her uncle, had opened the door from above, which usually meant something was going on.

Seolhyun rolled onto her side, slowly stretching out.

“Finally,” Jimin sighed.

She unfurled her fingers. The joints ached. “She won’t stay gone for long.”

“We don’t need forever. We just need to figure out where you are. And then we’ll be together.”

Some things never changed. Jimin’s ego was as big as ever.

“Where are you?” Seolhyun asked.

“Heading up north. Are you in the north?”

Seolhyun sighed. “I don’t know where I am. There are woods around me.”

“Not helpful.” There was a pause, and Seolhyun imagined the feel of Jimin’s hand on her cheek, tracing the curve of the bone. She shivered. “I miss you, Seolhyun. Those weeks when you were hidden from me drove me crazy.”

Seolhyun didn’t respond. She hadn’t missed Jimin. While she’d been under the influence of the concoction, she hadn’t even known Jimin existed.

Jimin chuckled. “You’re supposed to say you missed me, too.”

Rolling onto her back, Seolhyun tried to work out the muscles in her leg. “What will it be like when I transfer my power to you?”

There was a pause and she started to get nervous. “It won’t hurt,” Jimin’s voice whispered. “It will be like when we touched before, when the runes appeared. You liked that.”

She did.

“There are a few words spoken, nothing huge, and then I will take your power. I won’t drain you, Seolhyun. I’d never do that.”

And she believed her, so she relaxed. “What is the plan, Jimin?”

“You know what the plan is.”

Jimin wanted to take out the Olympian Twelve before they found a way to take them out. Legend said they were only vulnerable to another Elpis, but neither of them was secure in that belief. Loopholes and lesser-known Myths were something all the Elpises had sought to discover. But once the Gods were out of the picture, they would rule. Or Jonghyun would rule. Seolhyun didn’t know or care. All she wanted was to be near her Jimin. She was having a mad case of separation anxiety.

“No. What’s the plan so we can be together?”

Jimin’s approval washed over her like she’d just stepped out into the summer sun. “Eventually, they will show a weakness. They always do. Especially Hyejeong. You are her weakness.”

Seolhyun squirmed. “I am.”

“And when you are presented with a chance to escape, take it. Don’t hold back. You’re the Elpis. Once free, they can’t stop you. Trust that. And the moment you get an idea of where you are, I’ll be there.”

Seolhyun trusted her.

There was that pleasant and heady fog again, invading her. “Have you seen Apollo or any other God recently?” Jimin asked.

“No, and that was odd. Apollo had been up my from the moment I’d Awakened, but I hadn’t felt or seen him, or any God.”

Seolhyun opened her eyes and stared at the bars. Would Hephaestus need to reinforce the bars soon? Gods, she hoped so. If they weakened, then so would the wards. Then she could get out.

Jimin said something that caused her toes to curl so she would pay attention to her again. “Where did you go?”

Seolhyun showed her the bars and her thoughts. Jimin was doubtful. Hephaestus’ work rarely weakened, but Seolhyun was hopeful… for a second. This… this bond wasn’t the real deal. Even though Jimin was inside her, she really wasn’t there.

Seolhyun was alone… alone in a cell.

“Apollo will never let me out. Hyejeong will never let me near you.”

“Yes, you will. It doesn’t matter what he does. I will get to you. The Gods say there can only be one of us, but they’re wrong.” A strange coiling, and then relaxing, filled Seolhyun. “You’re mine. Always have been and always will be. We were created for this.”

***

Seolhyun had no idea if it was night, day, or how long she’d slept. She was alone. There was no Hyejeong sitting in the chair watching her. No Jimin at the end of the amber cord.

Her head was somewhat clear.

She stood and stalked toward the bars. They looked normal, silvery titanium, but it was the fine mesh circling them that was the problem.

Hephaestus’ chain was a real .

Taking a deep breath, Seolhyun grabbed the bars and squeezed. A flash of blue light volleyed up the bars, billowing along the ceiling and over the mark like smoke full of glitter.

“Dammit,” she muttered, backing away.

She tried calling on Ether. Nothing stirred inside of her, not even a flicker. Lifting her hand, she attempted for something smaller.

She called upon fire.

Aaaand… there was nothing.

When she’d Awakened, the power that had broken open and flooded her veins had been a great rush. She got why Demons yearned for Alch. She’d had just a taste of it. And she hadn’t felt it since Apollo had knocked her into next week with a freaking God bolt.

Jerk.

He was also on her to-kill list.

Seolhyun went to the bathroom and cleaned up. Freshly showered and attired, she returned to testing out the bars. The shimmering blue light was sort of pretty. At least it was something to stare at.

She sighed, about ready to put her head through the wall. She searched for Jimin at the end of the cord, but still gone. With nothing left to do, she returned to testing sections of the bars.

What seemed like hours later, a door opened upstairs. There were voices. One of them was Hyejeong’s, but the other…

“Jisoo?” Seolhyun called out.

“Leave,” was Hyejeong’s harsh reply.

The door shut, and one heavy set of footsteps came down the stairs. She swore to the Gods the sound that came out of was an animalistic growl.

Hyejeong came into view, holding a plastic plate of eggs and bacon. One eyebrow was arched. “Do you really think I’m going to allow my sister near you?”

Seolhyun shrugged.

Hyejeong held the plate through the space in the bars. The last time she’d done the whole not-eating thing, it hadn’t worked. She’d pretty much starved and ended up in the cell because of it. Food was her only friend this time around.

She reached for the plate.

Hyejeong’s empty hand s out and wrapped around Seolhyun’s arm. She said nothing, but her eyes willed Seolhyun to do something. What? Remember them together? Remember how much she’d consumed her thoughts? How she’d ached to be with her? And what it felt like being in her arms, being loved by her?

Seolhyun remembered all those things in detail.

But the emotions that belonged to those events and memories weren’t there. They were cut off completely. Gone with the whims of the past… Hyejeong was her past.

No! No. No.

That small voice was back again. Hyejeong was the future. For some reason she thought of Grandma Choa. ‘Know the difference between need and love’, she had said. There was no difference. Couldn’t the Oracle have tried to educate her on how to break out of these bars?

Hyejeong let go, eyes as hard as these cement walls. She backed away while Seolhyun took her food to the mattress. Surprisingly, she let her eat in silence.

Afterward, not so much.

Today Hyejeong wanted to talk about their first training session and how much Seolhyun had apparently annoyed the crap out of her because she hadn’t stopped talking. When Hyejeong got to the part when Seolhyun had mimicked her voice, she started to smile.

Her eyes flared the same moment Seolhyun’s lips twitched. “You said you were going to have to drop your habit when I went over the rules.” She smiled.

Seolhyun’s lips almost answered in kind. And she didn’t like that. Time to change the topic. “I don’t want to talk about this.”

Hyejeong leaned back in the metal folding chair. The thing had to be uncomfortable. “What do you want to talk about, Seolhyun?”

“Where has Apollo been? Since he’s my great-whatever, I’m feeling unloved.”

Hyejeong folded her arms. “Apollo won’t be around.”

Oh, interesting development. “And why not?”

“And do you really think I’m going to tell you when you’ll run right back to tell Jimin?”

Seolhyun put her bare feet on the cold floor and stood. “I won’t say a word.”

Hyejeong shot her a bland look. “Call me crazy, but I don’t believe you.”

Making her way to the bars, Seolhyun kept an eye on Hyejeong’s expression. As she neared, it lost the dull look. Her jaw hardened, eyes turned sharper, lips thinning. When Seolhyun touched the bars, the flare of light was weak. Somehow it knew the difference between when she was just touching it and when she was trying to escape. Clever chains.

“What are you doing?” Hyejeong asked.

“If you let me go now, I swear that you and all those you care for will be untouched.”

Hyejeong didn’t say anything for a heartbeat. “But I care about you, Seolhyun.”

Seolhyun tilted her head to the side. “But I will be unharmed.”

“No. You won’t be safe.” Sadness crept into Hyejeong’s eyes right before her lashes swept down. “If you leave here still connected to Jimin… you will die.” The last bit came out ragged.

Seolhyun laughed. “Nothing can harm me, smartass. What do you know?”

Her lashes swept up, revealing startling eyes. “It doesn’t matter. All you need to know is that it’s the truth.”

Seolhyun’s mouth opened, but she snapped it shut. The inexplicable urge to stick her tongue out was hard to deny.

“Can I ask you something?”

“If I said no, you would still ask.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter