The death of me

Limitless: RE:Gen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Talking to Kyungsoo made Sohee feel a lot more at home. Learning about his “disability” made her feel a lot happier, a lot closer she thought. Sohee remained less open about hers, the painful memory of her losing her eyesight only brought back painful memories. Nobody knew exactly what happened that night, not even Sohee knew properly. Doctors claimed that her brain had gone into protective mode and given her a slight memory loss due to the stress experienced.

That night, Sohee officially knew she was on her own. Heck her own parents wasn’t even there to save her, instead they valued their privacy over their own daughter’s safety. Something that Sohee couldn’t understand. She somewhat felt betrayed. Hurt. And dumb for trusting her parents so much, simply due to the fact they were the first person she expected to be there when she woke up from her coma. But instead she was alone, alone for 17 days to be exact. Undergoing certain treatments and therapy just to get her back into society. But time had caused her to forgive her parents, her parents simply didn’t mean no harm, it just happened she was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

That night still gave her nightmares, flashbacks of the horrendous torture she faced for god knows how many hours. But the nightmares would always stop at a certain part, the part she knew her brain was blocking simply due to it being too traumatizing.

The girl was only 18 when the attack happened, 4 months after her parents leaving. The trail had not been settled during that time. Which caused certain people to become very angry, due to the money that they had lost due to the scandal; some even claimed bankruptcy. A hit was put onto Sohee’s parents head, dead or alive it didn’t matter. But seeing as her parents fled, Sohee was the new target.

She remembered being sat in her living room, watching the latest music video to be aired on her favourite music channel. Something she seemed to do a lot when she needed to escape from the harsh realities of the world.

Sohee was too deep in thought to hear the smash in the upstairs window. Until she heard shouting coming from her parents’ bedroom. Sohee did what any normal teenager would do, and began to dial for the police. That was until she heard a gunshot, in which the shock caused her to drop the phone.

This alerted the intruders, in which they began to run down the stairs. Sohee could feel her heart racing, she felt like she was going to pass out at any moment. She tried to remain silent, until a small sob managed to escape .

Sohee felt frozen, there was no escape was what kept circling her mind. She couldn’t move, no matter how much her brain told her too. She just couldn’t. She felt like the floor was sinking sand, and she was sinking fast. Her heart raced, and her palms began to get clammy.

The footsteps began to come closer, that’s what woke Sohee up from her state. She quickly ran into a cupboard that was used for storage that was stationed behind her sofa. She covered herself with the coats that were neatly hung up, acting as some sort of disguise.

She hid, that’s what Sohee did. Trying to calm her breaths by deep breathing and regaining control. Every time she heard something smash Sohee would jump. She felt like she had been hiding in the cupboard for hours, but it was over 30 minutes. She could still here the intruders rooting through the house. Smashing every item, they’d come across, sometimes she thought she could hear her parents telling her to run. But that was just a fragment of her imagination.

She decided to listen to her parents, or her mind, and run. She leapt out the closet causing the door to bang once it hit the wall. She ran down the corridor to her front door.

And that’s when the bullet hit her, right in her knee. Sohee buckled with the pain that shot up her thigh, causing her to collapse on the floor. Tears had started to brim her eyes. She felt an intruder grab her by her hair, pulling her back to the living room. She screamed, Sohee screamed until her voice felt hoarse, hoping that someone would hear.

Slowly one by one her intruders would step into her living room. She couldn’t make out who exactly they were. Their identities were covered with masks, and it were clear that they knew what they were doing.

The trespassers were dressed head to toe in black, a leather jacket hanging on their shoulders, and leather clothes protecting their most important identifications. The men came in assorted sizes and shapes, but they all looked professional in what they were doing. This was no amateur burglary.  This was meant for her parents…

Sohee woke up from her dream, sweating and shaky. She looked around the room and noticed she was on her own, a situation she didn’t like when she was in this state. It often reminded her of the situation she was in, alone in this cruel world.

The dream always ended different, some days she was forced to live out exactly what happened or on others she found a way out and escaped. But they always ended the same way. Sohee always died, her death was so real that she could feel the pain. She could always feel the emotion, the torture until that very last breath she took before waking up. The death would always be at various stages of her life, sometimes she’d be settled down with a family and then suddenly she was dead and other times she would die at that very point the intruders captured her. It never made sense to Sohee, what exactly was her mind telling her to keep making her relive the horror she wanted to forget?

Was her head trying to tell her something? Was she going crazy? Or was this just her brain trying to remember the rest of that very night. It puzzled Sohee, she wanted to be normal, not wake up every night screaming covered in hot sweats. All she wanted was one night in which she didn’t have to face her demons and live over that terrible night.

Sohee managed to snap out of the terror, calming herself down through a series of breathing techniques she had been taught by her therapist. She tried distracting her mind and that’s when she remembered Kyungsoo wasn’t there, he left a while ago due to having a meeting with his nurse. Sohee was thankful, as she didn’t want him to see her in that state. It was a traumatic time for the woman in question, something that she didn’t want to remember. She had just wished her brain had removed the whole nightmare from her memories, maybe then she could have made up a cool story about how she lost her eye. But Sohee knew she could never forget a time like that. It was reality, not some w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter