No Time to Waste

Voice

The girl was right. Kyungsoo had to cross two streets before reaching his school, his and Min Yoon Gi’s school, who was also walking with him – beside him.

“Don’t you need to go home already?” Kyungsoo asked.

“You aren’t home yet.” Yoongi answered like it’s the most logical thing on Earth.

“My home’s near here. You can leave now.” Kyungsoo nods as if giving Yoongi the permission to go ahead.

Yoongi lifted his head and searched the area, “Where?”

Kyungsoo, confused, looked at Yoongi puzzled and asked, “Why do you need to know? I can go home by myself. I’ve been doing this for years.”

Yoongi raised his hands up as if in surrender, “Alright! I… really wanted to take you home, make sure you arrive there safe… I got worried after you got lost this afternoon that’s why I asked…” Silence. “Also, you may have been used to going home by yourself but as far as I know, you never go home at night. You always make sure to go home before the sun sets.”

“Woah, you’re quite a good observer. I thought you don’t notice anyone especially when you’re always busy blabbing with your friends.”

“I usually take time for important stuff.” Yoongi smirked and winked. Too surprised, Kyungsoo took one step back and he’s sure he felt a pang in his heart. He placed his hand where his heart is and breathed deeply.

“You okay?”

“That was gross. You almost gave me a heart attack.”

“I reached your heart.” Yoongi showed a proud smile.

“I think it’s pretty normal for people to be surprised.” Kyungsoo brushed-off the thought of Yoongi affecting him. “Now, if you can just turn around and go home…” Kyungsoo gestured his forefinger and pointed the street where Yoongi should start walking on already.

Yoongi noticed that Kyungsoo’s still holding his phone so without hesitation, he snatched the phone away from Kyungsoo and stepped back. He lifted his arm and swayed Kyungsoo’s phone in the air.

“I’ll only give this to you if you let me walk you home.” He smirked again but this time, no wink. Just his badass smirk.

“Aiiisshhh…” Kyungsoo glared at Yoongi for a few seconds, contemplated whether he should just give up on his phone or just let Yoongi do what we wanted – just once, only tonight. He bit his lower lip and eventually said, “Yes. Now give me back my phone.” Kyungsoo stretched his arm to get the phone from Yoongi but he slid it inside his pocket and swung his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders.

“Let’s go home first! Where do we go?” Yoongi didn’t bother checking Kyungsoo’s reaction anymore. Instead, he looked around and waited for the guy beside him talk. Kyungsoo removed the arm that’s gripping his shoulders, squeezing him to Yoongi’s side and defeatedly answered, “Alright, this way.”

+++

Their walk this time wasn’t a silent one. Yoongi would ask questions to Kyungsoo and he would always get answers. He asked about his childhood, his parents, his friends which he’s surprised Kyungsoo had, his favorite movie, favorite food, favorite subject, why he’s so smart and why he prefers to study alone, eat alone, walk the streets alone. He didn’t ask what Kyungsoo’s hobby was because he thought he already know. Kyungsoo would provide brief and precise answers. He’d answer up to three sentences maximum when Yoongi asked him to explain further.

“You talk so little.” Yoongi commented finally.

“You ask so much.” Kyungsoo retorted.

“Of course, I wanted to know you more.” Kyungsoo could feel Yoongi’s smirking again and afraid that he’d see his wink again, Kyungsoo just looked straight forward where he could already see his house.

“You’re weird. I still don’t know why how I ended up talking to you like this.”

“You’re weird, too. We kinda match!” Yoongi let out a soft laugh.

Again, Kyungsoo held his hand on his heart and coughed a bit.

“You okay? Sorry, did I startle you again?” But Yoongi’s still smiling.

“Don’t do that again.” Kyungsoo stopped walking but he’s still rubbing his chest.

“Oh , are you having a heart attack?” Yoongi lost his smile and panic washed over him like a tsunami.

“No. We’re here.” Kyungsoo nodded towards his house. They’re already in front of the gate. Yoongi looked back and let out a sigh of relief.

“Woah, glad we’re here.” Yoongi shook his head as if clearing his mind and brushing off the panic he had just now. Just a few seconds and the gate behind Yoongi opened. He was confused to see that the person who opened doesn’t look like Kyungsoo’s father at all. He seemed rather young so maybe his brother? But Kyungsoo didn’t mention any brother, he’s a solo child.

“Kyungsoo-hyung! What took you so long???” The stranger asked.

“I thought you don’t have a brother.” Yoongi looked back at Kyungsoo.

“Yeah, he’s not my brother. He’s my neighbor.” Kyungsoo answered and walked past Yoongi, about to enter the gate. He looked back at Yoongi and said, “Will you be able to go home from here?” No response. Yoongi seemed to be in staring battle with Kyungsoo’s neighbor.

“Min Yoongi. I asked if…”

“I heard you. Of course I can. Now go inside.”

Kyungsoo was surprised at how Yoongi changed his tone. It was bubbly a few minutes ago before they arrived home. Now he sounds annoyed. Kyungsoo just shrugged his shoulders and tapped his neighbor so they could both go inside already.

Kyungsoo went inside first and he thought his neighbor was following him. Instead, this guys turned around and whispered something to Yoongi.

“I’m not just his neighbor.” Yoongi thought he had the most striking smirk that could give Kyungsoo a heart attack but here’s his neighbor showing him who’s the master predator. He went inside leaving Yoongi behind.

After a few seconds of staring at the gate, Yoongi hissed and took out his phone from his pocket. But to his surprise, it wasn’t his phone that he’s holding. It’s Kyungsoo’s. Returning the phone wasn’t the first thing that came to Yoongi’s mind. There’s something else and he couldn’t wait for tomorrow to execute his plan.