Expectation vs Reality

Voice

Do Kyungsoo and Min Yoongi are senior high school classmates. Yoongi finds interest in Kyungsoo who only studies every day and has never made friends. One day, Yoongi took the courage to take Kyungsoo to an arcade. Yoongi loves arcade. He can shout and curse while playing. Being the badass that he is, no one would have ever expected him to play with the nerd Do Kyungsoo.

Do Kyungsoo won’t go. He’s stubborn as much as he’s smart. But Yoongi won’t buy this . He pulled him to his motorcycle which he got from his friendly neighbor (actually, his favorite neighbor he always bullies).

 

“Where’s my helmet?” Kyungsoo said standing beside Yoongi’s ride.

“Just hop on, okay?” and Yoongi pulled Kyungsoo closer to him which made the latter hop on immediately.

 

Instead of an arcade, Kyungsoo sees a noraebang.

“I thought we’re playing?” he asked Yoongi who just placed his helmet on the motorcycle.

“I changed my mind. I wanna know something from a Do Kyungsoo.”

“You could have just asked me.”

“Don’t be stubborn! I have my ways.”

 

They went inside the karaoke place. Apparently, Yoongi knows the owner. He was greeted very formally. Yoongi greeted back with cool salute and a nickname out of his mouth. Kyungsoo wondered if he was actually a son of a very respectable family who owns multiple big companies.

 

Yoongi lands on a leather-covered sofa and immediately took the song book to give to Kyungsoo. The doe-eyed guy was puzzled and obviously had no plans of singing. They stared at each other for a short ten seconds and then Yoongi took the song book from Kyungsoo’s hold. He scanned through the book and carefully chose a song. When he found one, he took the remote, pressed digits and hit enter. Kyungsoo’s eyes widened a bit upon realizing what song the guy across him chose.

 

“While you’re standing there, go get the microphone and sing this song already.” Yoongi said with his arms spread on the sofa.

“That song’s too…”

“You can do it!”

“Naul-sunbaenim… I can’t…”

“Just do it or I’ll burn your stuff.” Before Kyungsoo could even grab his bag, Yoongi already had it.

 

Baram bureowa nae mam heundeulmyeon

Jinagan sewore du nuneul gamabonda

 

Kyungsoo started singing while his eyes were closed, his right hand holding the microphone, his left hand hanging on his left side. Upon hearing, Yoongi sat upright slowly. He was examining his voice. He was surprised. It seems like he got the jackpot. He smiled.

 

Nareul seuchineun goyohan tteollim

Geu jageun sorie

Nan gwireul giullyeo bonda

 

Slowly, Kyungsoo lifted his left hand to his chest. And Yoongi thought, “ah, he’s feeling the music.”

 

Nae ane sumswineun

Keobeorin sarmui jogakdeuri

Nal budichyeo jinal ttae

Geu goseul baraborira

 

“This is it,” Yoongi thought. He’s about to know the truth. He continued to examine Kyungsoo’s voice but he was already 90% sure it was him and he didn’t know he himself was already wishing Do Kyungsoo is the man he was looking for.

 

Two weeks ago, Yoongi was in his usual spot in an abandoned park near their school. Apparently, no one wanted to be there because people said it’s haunted. But Yoongi thanked the rumors. Ever since the park got abandoned for over three months, Yoongi’s been there enjoying peace and quiet. Until that time, he realized why the park was rumored to be haunted. That was the first time he heard someone singing there. He looked around and suspected this small dark abandoned house is where the voice is coming from. He recognized the song. It’s Naul’s Memory of the Wind. He didn’t want to disturb the guy he heard was singing soulfully but just before he hears the chorus part, he stepped on noisy gravels and made the guy run away. He was wearing a black hoodie with a cap underneath the hood. Yoongi hardly recognized him.

 

Uriui mideum uriui sarang

 

Kyungsoo continued to sing and Yoongi spiked his attention up. It’s the moment of truth. Today, he’ll hear this boy who ran away two weeks ago sing the chorus.

 

Geu yeongwonhan yaksokdeureul

 

Disappointment came like tsunami waves on both Yoongi and Kyungsoo when the latter’s voice cracked. It was so bad and ugly he put his microphone down and grabbed his bag from Yoongi’s loosening grip, bowed to him and said sorry with a low voice. He took the chance to run away from a very surprised Min Yoongi.