It's You

Voice

Kyungsoo ran as fast as he could away from the establishment where he embarrassed himself bigtime. While he ran for almost ten minutes in and out of streets, he slowed down when he realized he got lost. He didn’t know this area in the first place.

“Aiiishhh…” Kyungsoo, no matter how frustrated, would never curse and this is the most he can do to release anger. He checked his bag to find his phone so he can just Google where he is at that moment. But he couldn’t feel any phone inside his bag. He crouched down on the sidewalk and pulled out his notebooks but he still couldn’t find it.

“Why is this happening to meeeeee???” He slammed the notebooks back to his bag. “Calm down, Do Kyungsoo.” He breathed heavily. He admitted to himself that he’s nervous. He never really goes out often so he’s not familiar with streets aside from those near his school and house. Worst, his house is always near his school so his life revolved in that neighborhood for good 16 years. He stood up and looked around. Maybe there’s someone he can ask for directions. He walked back to the path where he ran and although he’s not sure, he kept on walking.

He’s been walking for thirty minutes already and he’s still lost. The night’s coming, too, so he was already in a panic to go home. So when he found a small convenience store, he immediately ran towards it hoping for anything that’ll help him.

“Hi!” The girl behind the counter greeted him.

“H-hi.” Kyungsoo responded with a bow. “Can you tell me how I can go back to Hanseong High School?”

“Oh… That’s a bit far from here. But you can ride a bus going there, it won’t exactly stop at your school but it’s two streets away, I think.” The girl answered.

“It’s okay. Where’s the bus stop?”

“From here, go straight that street, after two blocks, turn right and just go straight ahead and you’ll reach the bus stop.” She answered pointing to the street Kyungsoo’s supposed to take.

“Ah! Thank you very much!”

“Looks like you’ve been lost for a couple of minutes already. Didn’t you ask anyone outside?”

“I did but I’m just not good with directions.”

“Are you sure you can follow what I said on your own now?” She looked worried. Kyungsoo’s glad this girl doesn’t know he’s actually the smartest boy in their class but is the dumbest when it comes to directions. He doesn’t need judgmental eyes staring at him right now.

“I can manage. Thank you so much!” Kyungsoo bowed at her and left the store.

Indeed, that was the simplest direction he got so he was able to reach the bus stop. He sat at the bench to wait for the bus. Trying to calm himself down, he hummed an unfamiliar song and reached for his bag to get something but he remembered, “Ugh! That’s right. I lost my phone.”

“Here.” A voice came from behind him which made Kyungsoo jump on his seat. Kyungsoo looked behind him and saw a hand holding his phone and when he traced whose hand that was, his jaw dropped a bit when he realized it was Min Yoon Gi. He instantly remembered the embarrassment he faced an hour earlier so he grabbed his phone quickly and turned back against him.

“Record that melody you hummed just now.” Yoongi said still standing beside him.

“Huh? Why?” Kyungsoo answered without facing him, his face frowning.

“You record your compositions through your phone, don’t you?” Yoongi placed his hands inside his pants pockets and looked across the road.

“How did you- …” Kyungsoo asked but his eyes widened at the realization and finally faced him. “You went through my phone???”

“Is it my fault that you don’t lock your phone?” Yoongi frowned and looked at him. Yoongi has a point and Kyungsoo acknowledges that so he doesn’t answer back. Instead, he checked his phone if there’s anything missing in his recordings. “Ya! I didn’t delete anything from there.”

“I need to be sure.” He answered scrolling up and down. “How did you find me?” All of a sudden, Kyungsoo asked.

“I already found you when you were, I think tracing your way back. You almost made your way back to the establishment when you made a wrong turn.” Yoongi snorts at the thought. “I followed you, you didn’t notice. It was kind of boring following you around but thanks to your songs…”

“What about my songs?” Kyungsoo stopped scrolling.

“They’re beautiful. Y-your voice is… beautiful, too.” Yoongi stammered. There was awkward silence. No one was looking at the other. “I… I already heard you singing in the park… two weeks ago.” Yoongi rubs his nape – his way of easing the tension in his body. “And from then I was desperate to know if it was really you.” Yoongi didn’t realize Kyungsoo was already staring at him with amusement.

“What are you looking at?” He asked when he finally noticed.

“Woah… You’re usually rowdy in the classroom. You actually have this side of you?” Kyungsoo stands up as soon as he saw the bus approaching. He hangs his bag on his left shoulder and looks at Yoongi behind him. “I’ll go ahead.” Kyungsoo nodded at him and went up inside the bus as soon as it stopped.

Kyungsoo walked inside the bus, inserted his earphones in his ears and played a random song, then he sat at the last row of seats, elevated enough he can see everyone in the bus, so he immediately saw who ran after the bus, made it stop and went up, too.

“Min Yoon Gi…” He mumbled to himself. Yoongi carefully walked all the way to Kyungsoo when the bus was already moving. He sat down beside him, on Kyungsoo’s left side, no space in between them.

“I ain’t done with you yet, Do Kyungsoo.” Yoongi grabbed Kyungsoo’s right ear piece and inserted it on his right ear leaving Kyungsoo dumbfounded.