Chapter 7

Boundless

 

The storm is almost at its peak, the howling wind, deafening thunder and blinding lighting have grown considerably with each passing hour, not to mention the heavy downpour rattling on the windows. The initial estimated tropical storm has quickly escalated into a typhoon, keeping residents of the little seaside town bounded in their homes. Luckily, because of the early warning, everyone has been able to stock up their supplies to last them through the storm. The buildings although mostly old, are built to withstand such weather and residents should be safe as long as they do not venture out.

 

Sunggyu watches as Woohyun tapes his thick curtain firmly to the wall and ground, which the male says will provide some barrier if the windows do happen to shatter. Since the announcement of the incoming storm, Woohyun has help to fill his empty refrigerator and pantry with food enough to feed a village. It also becomes evident that his neighbour is going to spend his time in Sunggyu’s house during the storm when he refused to go over Woohyun’s apartment. Frankly speaking, Sunggyu is extremely relieved that Woohyun decides to bunk over; he feels undeniable safer with the male around in this adverse weather. Kitty seems to have also taken a liking to the male since Woohyun came back from grocery shopping with a bag full of cat food and toys. Both the occupants in the apartment definitely welcome the intrusion.

 

Lightly the feline whom is playing with the felted wool ball in his lap, Sunggyu’s thoughts go to what he has been fretting for the past week. He has used his real name when registering at the veterinary and even though the chance of being traced is remote, he has not been able to ignore the possibility. That is why he does not wish to go over Woohyun place; he feels safer knowing he is prepared and possible escape routes planned if they do come. But it has been a week since the visit and nothing has happened, which is the reason why he allows Woohyun into his house. The last thing he wishes is to bring harm to the male who is now standing before the refrigerator, taking out ingredients for their dinner. Sunggyu remorsefully admits Woohyun being a great cook might have also contributed to the male easy access into his house.

 

Woohyun ponders what should he cook tonight to mesmerize Sunggyu and lowers the male’s resistance to his constant appearance in the apartment. Although Sunggyu has never vocalized or given any indication that he loves Woohyun’s cooking, the empty plates have proven the point. Besides, the fleeting gleam in Sunggyu’s eyes whenever food is served never escape his notice. No wonder the wise said ‘the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach’; he has never been so happy that he had spent his holidays helping out in the family restaurant since young. He finally decides on rice with sweet and sour pork and Kimchi tofu stew, a mix of Chinese and Korean food. He denies Sunggyu’s offer to help as the male enters the kitchen with Kitty in tow. The earlier lunch preparation has shown Sunggyu is only versed in cooking instant noodle and Woohyun wants to avoid any fingers cutting or a burnt kitchen.

 

Observing the more relaxed Sunggyu playing with Kitty as he prepares dinner, Woohyun is not sure what has caused the change but he knows it must have something to do with the reason behind the male’s hiding. He has noticed Sunggyu’s constant jittery state since their visit to the veterinary. Sunggyu seems to be on edge or more on edge than he usually is but has gotten better these two days. Woohyun has contacted Myungsoo two days ago requesting the younger to find anything on Sunggyu but due to the typhoon, external contacts with the outside world are non-existence and his mobile phone stays quiet. He hates the helpless feelings in Sunggyu’s situation; that is no way he can help if he does not know what is wrong in the first place. The chance that Sunggyu confides in him is remote and Woohyun has to be contented with feeding the male. Sunggyu definitely needs to put on some weight, the scrawny kitten and its new owner mirror each other.

 

After dinner, Sunggyu insists on doing the dishes leaving Woohyun the chance to go back his apartment to freshen up. They had a quiet dinner amidst the raging storm, where Sunggyu once again shows unspoken appreciation of his cooking skill by finishing all the food. After tousling with Kitty who tries to follow him out of the apartment, he has bundled the feline back into its temporary home made from towels, earning giggles from the male who has come out of the kitchen with dripping hands after hearing the din. Woohyun waves goodbye, promising he would be back with his pillow and blanket shortly, this time bringing a slight blush on Sunggyu’s face.

 

He finishes the dishes in no time and proceeds to untangle the struggling bundle in his living room, whom has been purring its frustration since Woohyun left. It is then he hears some faint sounds from outside the apartment. Assuming it is Woohyun, he proceeds to open the door but his natural instinct makes him check the peephole. His heart clenches when he sees few men, dripping wet from the storm, barging into Woohyun’s apartment. Alarm immediately sounds in his head.

 

“They are here! I need to get out of here. I am not going back. Run, I need to run now!”

 

Feeling the discomfort of the tightened arms, Kitty struggles in his embrace, breaking Sunggyu’s monologue in his mind. The male stares at the kitten in his arms, before returning his gaze to the front door.

 

“This is all my fault! I should have known they would come one day. How stupid of me to think that I can have a normal life. Woohyun is innocent … What if they torture him for about my whereabouts. What if they kill him when they find I am gone … No, I cannot let that happen!”

 

Sunggyu heads into his bedroom shakenly, bringing out the bag hidden in a corner, something that he has prepared long ago. It takes him a few seconds to stuff Kitty under his bed and distracting it with the feline’s toy he found on the bedside table. Whispering a sorry to the kitten, he heads out of the room, closing the door behind him and what he has wishfully think, is his start of a normal life.

 

Pulling out the gun from the bag, Sunggyu quietly opens his door and cross over to the opposite apartment. He has never shot anyone but he will take the plunge to keep Woohyun safe. That is no way he will leave Woohyun in the lurch, even it means putting himself in the risk of capture once again. He hears voices from the living room, relieve washing over him when he recognizes Woohyun’s among the voices. As he advances, the conversation becomes clearer and Sunggyu freezes on the spot.

 

“Woohyun, we need to bring Sunggyu in.”

 

The already pale face turns a shade whiter and his body shivers uncontrollably, almost dropping the gun in his hand. An anguish muffle inevitably escapes from Sunggyu, catching the attention of the men in the living room. Woohyun eyes widen when he sees Sunggyu standing at the pathway with a gun in his shaking hands. He immediately tries to close their distance.

 

“Stop! Don’t come any closer … I will shoot! I swear I will shoot!”

 

Woohyun stops in his track at Sunggyu’s broken shout as he watches the male staggers backward.

 

“Sunggyu, please listen to me!”

 

“I am such a fool … I really thought … Why must it be you? Why!”

 

Sunggyu raises the gun and aims blindly at Woohyun’s direction, his tears obstructing his ability to see properly.

 

“I’m not going back! I rather die than to ah …”

 

Woohyun dashes over, catching Sunggyu’s falling body.

 


 

Exam ended last Wednesday and I am proud I got a new chapter out in less than a week. What will happen to Sunggyu and Woohyun now? Enjoy reading and most importantly, leave me lots of comments please ^^

In the short span of less than a month after my last update, Sunggyu enlisted the same time as my exam period. If I failed this term, it must be because I’m busy searching his enlistment news, looking for his enlistment photos and basically revisiting many of his performances rather than studying. Really bad of me :p

It is going to be an unbearable wait for Sunggyu to be back but I will definitely wait. In the meantime, I will continue writing and hopefully, lessen the agony of waiting for Inspirits during this period.