Chapter 2

Boundless

 

Woohyun steadily climbs down the water tower, the task simple as compare to what he usually does or the climb last night with water gushing down his head every step he takes. He feels Kim’s eyes following him closely but not as intense as yesterday night. He wonders if he pretends to fall, will the guy rush over to save him? He knows better not to act on his pranking thought though, since based on his long-time observation, the male watching him is easily spooked.

 

Oh yes, he has been monitoring this Kim guy for the past few months, purely out of curiosity initially. He has been glad to hear from the landlord that the opposite apartment has been rented out which means he is finally getting a neighbour. The quiet seaside town sure can do with some new faces, preferably young and available but seriously, any living being would do.

 

He sometimes hates his own spontaneous mind; he has rented the apartment on impulse. While whining about over working and the need for a long break, someone shown him this picture perfect apartment up for rental in a remote town. He was hooked and without actually checking out the apartment, he paid a year rental. The day he moved in is actually the first time he had ever step foot into the apartment. It was well furnished and the sunset was spectacular from his balcony. The town was quaint and quiet, without all the bustling of the city. He had really enjoyed the first month, sleeping till noon, spending all his time lazing on the beach and wading in the sea. It was heaven. It was also getting boring. That’s when Kim appeared.

 

His dear neighbour moves into the apartment in the middle of the night. If not well trained in his job, Woohyun would not have detected the soft opening and closing of the door. He has fully expected movers to appear the next day or at least the next few days but nothing arrives. His neighbour comes empty ended and that totally plagues his curiosity. Even he himself, who is used to roughing it out, has one suitcase with him.

 

Base on his experience, there are only two kinds of people who move around without any luggage. The person is either filthy rich or more probably, a fugitive, ready to escape with a mere hint of danger. His senses tingle at that thought, if that is a bounty on his neighbour head, Woohyun wouldn’t mind working during his holiday. Extra pocket money is always good. But first thing first, he needs to know his neighbour’s identity, thus the start of his monitoring.

 

His target’s reclusive living style however, proves to be a major hinder. The male even has groceries delivered to his doorstep, never once steps out of the building after moving in for a month. Nevertheless, it affirms Woohyun’s guess, his neighbour is definitely a suspicious character. He only manages glimpses of his neighbour since the guy has a mask on every time he collects his deliveries. Woohyun has jogged after the deliveryman once, casually making small talks. Seems that his neighbour is recuperating from a major illness in this small town. It sounds convincing but Woohyun’s instinct told him differently and his instinct is seldom wrong.

 

The first actual look of his neighbour comes unexpectedly. He was exercising in his balcony when he notices a silhouette emerging from the stairs, with a trash bag in tow. That catches his immediate attention, since who in the right mind empty their trash five in the morning. Woohyun is quite certain the person is his elusive neighbour. The male walks briskly towards the rubbish dump, only to be frightened to the ground when a cat jumps out of nowhere. The cat then made its move, nudging its petty frame against the fallen human. Woohyun prays for the cat, if his neighbour is some psychotic killer, this might be the kitty last moment.

 

His neighbour stands up, brushes off the debris and dumps the trash before squatting down to look at the cat. Woohyun springs into action, grabbing his own trash and dashes down the stairs. What he witnesses, surprises him. Apparently, the pair are acquaintances. Instead of a mangled cat, the kitty has its head buries in a can of cat food, absolutely ignoring the cutie male who is watching it fondly. The male crouched on the ground has a pale complexion, too pale for any healthy young man. It seems like he has never been under the sun.

 

Woohyun however could only see cuteness, especially when he hears the monologue. His neighbour is actually lecturing the kitty for first frightening him and then ignoring him over food. The hint of smile on his neighbour face disappears instantly when Woohyun moves towards the pair, causing the squatted male to stand up tensely, eyeing him. Putting on his best smile, Woohyun introduces himself, attempting a handshake but all he gets, is a curt nod and a fleeing back view. The cat reacts similarly, running down the alley, leaving behind an almost emptied can. He pockets the can.

 

After months of monitoring, he had nothing on Kim. It is as if this person does not exist in the world. The fingerprints check was fruitless. Facial comparison did not match any one in the wanted list, even when he did a worldwide check. Woohyun had secretly snap photos of Kim on the occasions he caught his neighbour appearance at the rubbish dump. Kim changes his trash emptying routine frequently but Woohyun is used to stakeout in the nights. He had many photos of the male, too many to be only for identification purpose. His favourites are those he caught Kim with the kitty, rare happy expressions from the male. Most of the time, his neighbour looks nervous, tense.

 

Woohyun rejected his previous assumption that Kim is some notorious criminal, primary because he does not sense any malicious vibe from the male, though he is sure his neighbour is in hiding. He also could not deny he might have develop a little crush on his secretive neighbour the first time he saw the male smiling at the cat. The urge to have Kim smile at him grows stronger with his continuous monitoring but he has not find a way to penetrate Kim’s defensive wall without frightening him away.

 

Leaping down the last step from the water tower, Woohyun wipes his hands with the towel Kim handed him. This is definitely an improvement over yesterday, where he was rushed out of the apartment, dripping wet, straight after the gushing stopped. He has appeared today with the replacement for the defective valve but frankly, he has thought Kim might not let him in since he had managed to temporary fixed the overflowing water last night. They can actually call a plumber to finish the job but it would be stupid to give up the chance to get closer to Kim. Woohyun contemplates ways to extend his stay without scaring his neighbour. Surprisingly, Kim provides him with an answer.

 

“Can you fix taps?”

 


 

I proudly present the 2nd chapter! Not becasuse it's well written but cos I managed to post a new chapter just after a month :p I hope no one is bored with this actionless background chapter.

Thanks for all who have subscribed. Looking forward to everyone's comments ^^

p.s : I'm so sad Sunggyu is injured. There seems to be a debate going on whether Got7's Jinyoung is to be blame. I saw the game video between them and do think he is the probable cause but it is really an accident. Let's just focus on praying for Sunggyu's recovery!!!