More than Friends

A Love of Two Sides
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In a quiet room, the sound of scribbling and pages turning filled the space as the people inside worked. A small fan exhausted its motor as it tried to fight off the heat. It was one of those hot days of autumn and a light drizzle during the day had turned the air thick and wet. The signature smell after rain floated in through an open window. Momo the neck of her shirt and wondered if she should take it off. It would feel much better without the sweat soaked fabric clinging to her skin. She glanced to the side and discarded the idea, reminded of Mina sitting beside her. The brunette had come over to study and true to her word, was working hard.

Twirling her pencil between her fingers, Momo took a short break from her studying. The weather made it hard to concentrate and she was drowsy with the heat. A soft groan jogged her from her griping and she turned to see Mina throw down her pen and slump backwards. It seemed that she was just as affected by the heat and her rosy-red cheeks reflected it.

‘Ugh, this hot weather is draining all my energy.’

Momo eyed her, pretending to be working. “Well it’s not like you can change the weather can you?” she commented. Mina rolled her head around, looking up.

‘That is actually a good idea. Someone should make a machine that can change the weather. I would really appreciate some snow right now.’

Momo hummed in reply, finding some energy to continue with her revision. Mina continued to lie on her back, studying something on the ceiling. She lay there without moving and Momo found herself glancing over. “What’s so interesting about the plaster boards above you?” she asked, still writing.

‘Nothing. I just can’t find the willpower to sit up and work again. I just want to take a cold shower and sleep under a refrigerated blanket.’

Momo arched an eyebrow. “If you really don’t feel like studying, then just don’t. Studying when you’re not concentrating is just as useful as not studying at all,” she said. “I know,” Mina agreed. “But when I see all the material I have to cover, I feel guilty.”

‘Uh huh.’

Mina turned her head to glare at Momo, pouting. “You’re supposed to be motivating me,” she complained. “That was the whole point of studying together.” Momo thought for a second before conceding. “I suppose that’s true,” she said. She closed her book and tapped a finger on the tabletop as she thought of something that might make Mina want to continue working. Noticing Mina’s red cheeks, an idea came to her. “How about this? If you can promise that you can study without any breaks for the next two hours, then I’ll make some ice cream for you,” she said. Mina’s eyes lit up in excitement at the thought but after a second, her excitement dimmed.

‘Wouldn’t it just be better to buy some ice cream?’

‘It could. But if you’ve tasted freshly made ice cream, you might disagree. And besides, you can make whatever flavour you want. It is more work but it’s worth the effort.’

‘You’d do that for me?’

Momo shrugged. “It’s half for me,” she confessed. “But only if you promise that you’re going to do work.” Mina nodded, excited renewed at the idea of ice cream. Momo hid a smile at Mina’s excitement, reminded of how Sana was whenever she knew Momo was cooking. She stood up and held out a hand.

‘You want to go now?’

Mina’s face clouded with confusion.

‘Go? Go where?’

“To the convenience store,” Momo explained. “I have most of the ingredients but since I’m making for two people, I need to buy a few things. It’ll also be a chance for you to stretch your legs.” Mina nodded and accepted the helping hand, jumping up to her feet. Turning off the light, Momo closed the door behind them as they exited her apartment. They made their way down the stairs and onto the street level.

A warm breeze blew through the air, cooling their hot bodies as they walked. Fallen leaves swirled in the breeze and crushed cans tumbled along the streets. A few cars drove by, blaring out loud music from their stereos. Momo led Mina to a corner store which she knew was open 24/7, glancing from time to time at the other girl. Mina was looking at their surroundings with interest, looking to be thinking about something. Wondering if she should ask what was on Mina’s mind, Momo lost the chance as they arrived at the store.

Filing away the question for later, she hung a basket from her arm and picked out a few ingredients as Mina followed her, staring at the items on the shelves. Stopping in front of the snacks, she stared at Mina and wondered what flavour ice cream she would prefer. Mina held up a packet of lollies and studied it, turning around and noticed Momo staring at her. She flashed a smile and returned to her study of the packet. Experiencing a mind blank at the sudden smile, Momo blinked a few times to collect her thoughts. She decided on some Oreos and headed for the counter. Placing her items on the counter, she returned the elderly cashier’s greeting.

‘Out for some late night shopping with your girlfriend?’

‘Yeah. It’s pretty hot right now so I thought a cold treat was a good idea.’

She was about to say something else when she processed the cashier’s previous sentence. She froze then turned slowly to look at Mina. She didn’t seem to have been paying attention but her ears were noticeably red. Momo took in what Mina was wearing – a loose nightgown and sandals – then looked down at her oversized shirt and slippers. The cashier’s guess wasn’t too farfetched and she tried to avoid imagining if she and Mina really were girlfriends. It would be awkward to think about it in Mina’s presence until she had properly confessed her feelings back to the other girl. So she glossed over her lapse and thanked the cashier as he handed back her change.

The walk back to Momo’s apartment was decidedly silent even though their trip to the store had been quiet. Momo avoided looking at Mina, certain that if she did she would say something stupid. The tense atmosphere dissipated when they returned to the apartment as Mina buried her head in her textbook and Momo busied herself with making the ice cream. Taking out her a bowl, she mixed together some milk, cream and sugar and poured it onto a saucepan to heat. When it was done, she poured the mixture into a separate bowl and stirred in some vanilla extract. She left it to sit for five minutes then covered the bowl with some plastic wrap and placed it in the freezer.

She sat down as she waited for the bowl to chill, using the time to study. She was also excited at the idea of some homemade ice cream and studying was easier when she knew that there was something to look forward to. After three quarters of an hour, she took the bowl out of the freezer. Crushing the packet of Oreos she’d bought from the store, she mixed the crumbled biscuits into the bowl and assembled her ice cream maker.  She’d gotten it as a Christmas gift and it took out much of the waiting time when making ice cream. She poured the contents of the bowl into the machine and turned it on. She sat back down as the ice cream maker worked.

After another twenty minutes, she got up to check the ice cream and once satisfied with the hardness, she scooped up the now firm ice cream into two bowls and called out to Mina. The brunette turned from her work with a surprised look on her face. “So soon?” she asked, getting up. Momo nodded. “I have an ice cream maker so most of the chilling and freezing isn’t required.”

‘An ice cream maker? Why would you get one of those?’

‘Heechul gave one to me as a Christmas present.’

‘But an ice cream maker of all things?’

Momo smiled fondly remembering when Heechul had turned up with a box in his arms on Christmas Eve. “He received it from a friend and gave it to me since I’d refused his previous presents. He’d bought extravagant handbags, clothes and household furniture so in comparison, an ice cream maker was alright,” she said. “Anyway, let’s eat.” She took out the second unopened pack of Oreos and stuck two of them in her ice cream before taking a bite. The ice cream was soft and her spoon easily cut through the cold treat. Opposite her, Mina looked to be in heaven as she spooned the ice cream into . “This is divine,” she moaned. “I don’t think I’ve ever had ice cream this good before. From now on, I’ll never question whether store-bought ice cream is better than homemade.”

Momo nodded easily. Homemade ice cream certainly was one of the best things that you could have on a hot day. She spooned another mouthful then paused as she watched Mina’s face fall. “What’s wrong?” Mina peered into her bowl and hesitantly asked, “Is there any chance that there’s some more ice cream left over?” Laughing, Momo grabbed Mina’s empty bowl and scooped up another bowl of ice cream. “Is this enough?” Mina nodded eagerly and her lips as she accepted the bowl. Knowing better, Momo took her time in finishing her ice cream, watching as Mina enjoyed hers. As a cook, it was sometimes more fulfilling to see others enjoying your food than eating yourself.

When her bowl was empty and clean, Momo took it to the sink to wash. She disassembled the ice cream maker and soaked the dirty parts in some soapy water. Mina joined her at the sink a few moments later, washing her own bowl. When she was done, she leaned back on the counter, watching Momo. She took a clean towel and began wiping the washed parts that Momo set on the draining board. Putting the dry parts beside the ice cream maker, she asked, “So are you going to make ice cream the next time I need motivation again?” Momo stopped her washing and turned to look at Mina.

‘I have to do something every time you need motivation?’

‘Oh. I suppose that’s asking for a bit much.’

Mina fell silent as Momo resumed washing then clicked her fingers as she thought of something.

‘How about this? We’ll make a bet.’

‘A bet? Bet on what?’

‘If I get a higher average on my exams, then you owe me a favour.’

Momo frowned and turned the tap off.

‘A favour?’

‘Yes. Anytime, anywhere, anything.’

Momo narrowed her eyes at the conditions of the bet before smiling. “Alright. That sounds fair. Do I get a favour in return if I win?” she asked, draining the sink. Mina hesitated then nodded resolutely.

‘Those are the conditions.’

‘Well then. Thank you for a free favour.’

‘You haven’t won yet.’

‘I haven’t but you might find it hard to beat me when it comes to studying.’

Mina scowled at that and put the towel onto the over door, stepping over to the table and sitting down. She picked up her pen and opened her book. She started studying then paused and turned around to look at Momo. “Just letting you know in advance. It might be hard to beat you, but if I do, I’m calling in the favour big time,” she said. Momo nodded a few times. “Sure, sure,” she answered, smiling in amusement as Mina turned back to her book and started writing furiously. Momo finished cleaning up the kitchen area then walked over to join Mina at the table.

Sitting back and enjoying a short rest, she regarded Mina, her beautiful side profile framed by the light of the desk lamp. The brunette was bent over her textbook, reading the small script. She chewed on her pen cap, a common habit of hers when studying. The fingers of her free hand tapped out a rhythm on the table, matching her breathing. Her breathing was slightly rushed and Momo noticed that a flush was returning to Mina’s cheeks as the cooling effect of the ice cream faded. She reached behind and manoeuvred the fan so that it was facing Mina. It seemed a simple thing to do, seeing as the other girl was working so hard. Leaning forward and cupping a palm under her chin, she continued to watch Mina.

Mina seemed completely focused on her work, a contrast to the girl in high school who had trouble with simple math problems. Her hair was done up but a few strands had escaped the bun and draped over the side of her face. The loose hair tickled her as she turned a page and she frowned in annoyance at the irritation. Reaching a hand up, Momo tucked the strand behind Mina’s ear. She smiled, pleased with herself, then froze as she realised what she done. Mina paused in her work and slowly turned to face her, taking her pen away from . A perplexed look was on her face as she stared at Momo, an image of vulnerability. Everything was silent for a few brief but excruciating moments until Momo’s brain clicked and she tried to explain herself.

‘Um, I just thought that your hair might be bothering you...or something.’

‘Oh…thanks.’

Momo nodded then immediately picked up her pen and made a show of working. Writing nonsense on her page, she was aware of Mina still staring at her and felt a faint blush rising. Swallowing with some difficulty, she avoided eye contact and asked, “Hey Mina, do you want a glass of water or something?”

‘Oh. Uh, I’m fine. I’m actually thinking of heading home now and taking a shower.’

‘Ah. Okay.’

Momo continued to pretend that she was working as Mina packed away her stuff. She chose not to see Mina off, waving over her shoulder as Mina called out goodbye and closed the door. As soon as the door clicked shut, Momo threw her pen aside and lay on her back. Thinking back to the awkward moment from before, she covered her face with her hands in an attempt to rid her embarrassment, unaware that outside her apartment door, Mina was doing the same.

~

Mina crouched down outside Momo’s apartment as she repl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter