The Dust Settles

A Love of Two Sides
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Momo tried yet again to grab Sana’s arm as she marched down the hall. Her friend was furious and could not be stopped as she made a beeline for Myoui Mina. Sana had seen through her poorly done makeup to the bruise that was on her cheek and had managed to force out of her the events surrounding it and the identity of the perpetrator. Now she was on a mission to seek retribution and nothing Momo did could help placate her. They reached Mina’s classroom and Momo finally managed to grab Sana’s arm and held her back. She glanced through the window of the classroom where they could see Mina surrounded by her friends. “Please,” she said, her eyes pleading. “Don’t make this any worse than it had to be. I don’t want to create a scene on the last day of school.” Sana stared hard at her for a moment before inhaling sharply and sighed tiredly.

‘Momo, that’s exactly what I’m trying to do. She needs to be put in her place and know that she can’t do things like this.’

She tried pull her arm free from Momo’s grip and shook her head slowly. “I’m going in there whether you like or not,” she said, then held up a finger to forestall Momo’s protests. “But, I promise you that the only thing we will exchange are words.” At that, Momo relented and released Sana’s arm, watching pensively as she entered classroom. However, a moment later, she immediately regretted letting her friend walk through the door as moments later she began shouting at Mina.

Sana slammed the door as she entered, slamming it so hard that it banged shut behind her. It caught the attention of the girls in the classroom, turning as one to see who was making such a fuss. The majority of the girls, standing around Mina, were people Sana had seen around the school and knew to be shallow people who looked down on anyone who wasn’t the daughter or son of some business conglomerate. She walked to the centre of the classroom and paused briefly until someone was about to say something before she spoke To Mina.

‘What the actual is wrong with you?! Do you really think that in your deluded world of wealth and privilege that you can do whatever you want to whoever you want? Well, I’m sorry to tell you but that’s not how the world turns. You need to really take a good look at yourself in the mirror and think about how much of a retard you are. People might not say anything but that doesn’t make your actions any more right. I’m sure there are a lot of people who you owe apologies to so I’m just here to remind you of the fact.’

Mina opened about to speak but she was pipped by a friend who stepped forward with her hands on her hips.

‘Who are you to say that? You’re just a nobody. Mina is worth 10 times more than you.’

Sana crossed her arms as she heard the unfamiliar girl speak, curling her lip to look disdainfully at her. “Net worth maybe, but at some point having more money means nothing and then what are you left with? And besides, only people like you would take credit for naught borne from their own hands,” she said dismissively. She was about to say more when Mina stood up and she fell silent. For a second, Sana waited for Mina to say something, tapping her foot impatiently. Then her eyes widened in shock as Mina bowed a full 90 degrees, the shock echoed on the faces of the other people in the room.

They had never seen Myoui Mina, daughter to one of the most influential people in South Korea, bow to anyone let alone someone who had just yelled at her. Speaking from the uncomfortable position, Mina maintained the bow as she spoke.

‘I’m really sorry. It is true that I have overstepped my rights as a person and I fully apologise for any pain and inconvenience I may have caused you. I know that I owe this same apology to many others so I thank you for bringing it to my attention once again. I have a lot to improve on so I hope that you’ll be able to help me in the future as well. Please take care of me.’

Having said her part, Mina sat back down and ignored the astonished stares from her friends. Sana gave a surprised humph then gave one last raking look to the girls in front of her. She was unsettled at the actions of Mina who seemed truly contrite and it calmed some of the anger that had appeared when she discovered Momo’s bruise. Initially, Momo had tried to hide the fact that she had one but that just drew more attention to it.

Watching from the window, Momo was unable to make out much of what was said after Sana had said her piece and was just as surprised to see Mina bow. She raised an eyebrow and wondered what she was saying as she bowed, seeing that Sana seemed to be listening to something. Sana’s face remained stern as she her heel and exited the classroom but then broke into a smile as she linked arms with Momo. Leading them away, Sana grinned winningly at her and said, “See? I told you I wouldn’t hit anyone.” Momo locked eyes with Sana until she rolled her eyes and sighed. “Fine. I might have overreacted a little bit and I mean a teensy weensy little bit, but you can’t fault me can you?” she said, pinching her thumb and forefinger together.

‘Actually, I can. But thanks for having my back.’

Sana’s smile returned as she leaned her head on Momo’s shoulder.

‘No need to thank me.’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter