The Boring Days

A Love of Two Sides
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘Mina, do you have any important assessments coming up this week?’

Mina cocked an eyebrow at her father’s question and she tilted her head as she thought over any assignments that had been handed out recently. None came to mind and she shook her head. “No…I don’t think so,” she answered. Her father nodded without looking up from his newspaper then said, “Alright. Well then make sure to leave your Saturday evening free. You can accompany me to the annual Spring Ball. Oh and also I’m clearing you for school on Friday. You're going shopping with your aunt for something to wear.” Mina’s eyes widened with excitement as she jumped out of her seat.

‘You mean it? I can really go?’

‘Well whyever not? It’s not like you’ve done anything to be punished to not go? Or is there?’

Mina hurried shook her head. “No of course not. I was just excited is all,’ she reassured. Giddy with excitement and anticipation at the confirmation that she would be allowed to go, she abandoned her breakfast and walked forward to hug and kiss her father on the cheek. With a spring in her step, she collected her bag from the maid and walked out to the driveway, ready for a day of school.

~

The week passed in a flash as Mina waited for the sleeps to count down until the weekend. Anticipation towards the Spring Ball even out shadowed her lessons with Momo and she found it to be the thing that dominated her thoughts. Eventually, Friday arrived and her father drove them in the morning to her uncle’s house where they had breakfast. Afterwards, her father and uncle stayed behind to chat and her aunt took them (Ritsu was at school) to a mall in the city. The mall was enormous, co-owned by her father’s business, and was dotted with boutique stores. They did some window shopping until they walked into a large department outlet that was under their company’s name. There was a wide selection of dresses to choose from and as they walked through the entrance, a clerk immediately rushed over to serve them.

‘Good morning madams. How may I help you today?’

Mayumi gave a brief explanation of their needs and the clerk pointed them towards the woman’s section and as they walked, Mina took a look around the store. It was a well-furnished space that gave off a rich and sophisticated feeling yet somehow remained young and fresh. It always surprised her when she saw firsthand the skills of staff working under the family company. She would someday take the mantle but for now, she was stuck with her aunt as they browsed the selections of dresses. There was a wide array on offer but Mina spotted a simple short sleeve gown that looked perfect. She usually preferred having her shoulders covered and it was a more conservative look that would fit the more formalised event of the Spring Ball.

However, as she picked out the gown, she groaned silently when she noticed that her aunt was still deep in thought and was muttering under her breath as she eyed the racks. It was always a slog to go shopping with her aunt and she’d often end up sitting and waiting for her to decide. Mayumi hadn’t grown up rich and she had had to scrimp and save as she moved through high school and university and even now always wanted to make sure that the clothes she wore were sensibly priced. Another reason was that she refused to hire a personal shopper, feeling uncomfortable with the assistants and what she called their ‘snobby expressions’ and ‘close scrutiny’. Mina took a seat and lay the dress over her lap, expecting a lengthy wait.

Finally after what seemed like hours, Mina’s aunt settled on a dress that was similar in style to Mina’s and Mina stood up with exasperation clear on her face.

‘I could’ve picked that out for you in ten minutes.’

Mayumi laughed, well aware of her habits, and patted Mina on the shoulder. “I know, I know. But I enjoy the challenge of bargain-hunting. I’ll make it up to you with some ice cream,” she offered. Mina rolled her eyes at her aunt treating her like a kid.

‘So can we go home now?’

‘What? Oh no. We still have to buy shoes.

This time Mina groaned audibly. The only thing that was worse than shopping with her aunt was shoe shopping.

‘Whoopee. I can’t wait.’

~

Momo tapped a finger against her phone screen as she tried to focus her mind. School had ended half an hour ago and she was sitting in the library without somewhere to go. Usually she was tutoring Mina at this time of day and she was now restless without the brunette with her. Mina had notified her the day before that she would be missing school and Momo wondered about the reason for her absence. She hadn’t realised that she would come to miss the company of Mina beside her and she once again tried to concentrate her attention to her textbook. The words just fuzzed in front of her eyes and she blinked a few times.

Yawning, she kneaded a temple with a knuckle and sighed at her situation. It was unheard of her to be unable to focus and she secretly blamed Mina for messing up her head. Ever since she had begun spending increased amounts of time with the other girl, at recess and lunch and after school, she had felt on edge and a tension had entered her that hadn’t disappeared even after a few good night’s sleep. She rubbed her chest with a hand and glanced towards her phone as a notification pinged the screen.

‘Where are you now?’

Momo smiled as she read Heechul message and grabbed the phone into her hands as she typed back a reply.

‘At school. Y?’

‘I was thinking of dropping by to pick you up for dinner tonight. How does chinese sound?’

‘I have work but afterwards, yeah sure.’

Heechul sent a smiley face at her confirmation and she placed down her phone. She picked up her pen with renewed vigour with something to look forward. The words and text began to make sense and her writing flowed across the page as she worked.

Soon, her alarm alerted her to the time and she packed up her belongings, wishing that she had more time to work. She had been in one of those zones that happens on the rare chance that you are enjoying the work you are doing. She took the train and walked the short distance to her job, greeting Junsu who was on duty. “Hey,” she said, waving. “How was business today?” Junsu returned the wave with a nod of h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter