Independence

A Love of Two Sides
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sounds of people could be heard clearly as Mina walked down the crowded street. Groups of people clustered around stalls selling wares, crafts and food. That last one was quite noticeable and a distinct smell of grilled meat floated in the air. Mina stifled a laugh as she watched Tzuyu’s head follow the smell, led by the nose. “Come on,” she said. “You can wait till later. We have to go to that introduction.” Mina tugged Tzuyu back onto their path but couldn’t help salivating slightly at the thought of some barbecued pork. Pushing down the desire, she looked around at the rows of buildings.

Yonsei University was a mix of old and new with many old buildings which heralded from its inception, juxtaposed with the modern facilities that housed some of the best technology that the world had to offer. She had read a pamphlet the day before listing the achievements of the university and she had been impressed. Disregarding that Yonsei was one of the big 3, the university had much to offer with a wide range of courses and multiple clubs ranging across different interests with a few that caught her eye.

‘So have you made any decisions about which university you’re going to switch to?’

Mina shook her head. She had talked through some options with her father but he had mostly just been there to offer some titbits of information and nothing that she could use to decide. “None as of yet. Haven’t really looked at that many options but the ones I did look through didn’t seem to suit me,” she said distractedly. Tzuyu nodded and they fell silent as they walked amongst the throng of people. It seemed that there was a number of other people who were also heading towards the courtyard area where a group of students would take them on a tour. Making a beeline for the assembly area, Mina wondered if Yonsei might be the university for her and led Tzuyu away.

~

‘No three times over! We already ate on our way here. If you don’t hurry up, we’ll both be late.’

“But Momo,” Sana whined, “Can’t you smell that meaty goodness?” Sana’s eyes grew impossibly wide as she eyed a nearby stall and its food on display. “If you can resist for now, I’ll treat you to some fried chicken later tonight,” Momo offered. Tearing her eyes away from the meat, Sana relented and let herself be dragged towards the school building. The first session of the day was about to commence and their lecture was about to start. Language was the only unit that Sana shared with Momo, doing a completely different degree in fashion studies.

They made it to the lecture hall just before the professor arrived. They took their seats near the back and settled down as the slideshow began. Momo concentrated on the slides, making careful notes in her exercise book while beside her, Sana snoozed. Prodding her friend every so often, the class went by slowly and Momo felt herself get distracted by the festivities outside. The university open days always got hectic and it was hard enough navigating the campus grounds without a thousand other people getting in your way.

‘On your way out, please hand in your assignments. It is the final assessment of the year and you will need an S to pass the course. I’m looking at you Changmo.’

This last comment was directed at a student sitting near Momo as the professor singled out the offending student. It was often the case that students began to slack off in the middle of their university course, thinking that their acceptance was tantamount to passing.

‘What do you mean? Why wouldn’t I hand it in?’

Changmo feigned innocence with his palms raised as a few students laughed and the professor sent him a quick glare before turning his attention to another student.

‘Sir, but the notice said that we only needed to submit it by 6:00p.m.’

“I know what it says but I remember telling you that I am leaving on a trip tomorrow morning and won’t be able to verify that all submissions have gone through.’

The professor raised an eyebrow as he looked around the room daring the students to ask any further questions before glancing to the clock on the wall and dismissing the class. He sat back down at his desk and turned off the projector before calling out, “Assignments here,” patting an empty basket to the few students escaping out of the hall. Excuses were made and Momo nudged Sana awake before sifting through her bag to get her own assignment.

‘Let’s go. If we hurry, we might be able to get in to the crêpe stall before a huge line comes up.’

At this, Sana jolted awake and gathered her exercise book and pencils that remained unused and stood at the stairs waiting for Momo. They headed for the exit and seeing that Sana’s hands were empty, Momo asked, “Where’s your assignment?” Sana stared dumbly at her before slapping a hand to her forehead.

‘That was due today? I haven’t finished it yet. I was going to leave it till tonight.’

‘Well it’s due right now.’

 Panicking slightly, Sana walked inconspicuously behind Momo as she placed her report in the basket and was nearly out of the door when the professor called out to them.

‘Hey can you stay behind for a moment?’

Turning around, Momo faced the professor as he dropped a stack of papers in her arms. “Would you be able to drop these off to the front desk for me? They’re the approved applications for the membership-training trips,” he said. Momo nodded and shifted the papers. She left the hall where Sana was waiting nervously outside.

‘Did he ask about my assignment?’

‘Nah, he just wanted me to drop these off.’

Sana tutted as she took some of the load off Momo. “Momo, you do know that you can refuse?” she sighed. “You can say no. You’re already doing enough without the professors asking you to do every little thing for them.” Momo shrugged a shoulder as they walked towards the reception.

‘I can’t help it. And besides, it not a lot to do.’

Sana heaved another sighed but didn’t say anything more. They quickly unloaded the papers at the front desk and Momo held Sana’s bag as she ran towards the crêpe stall. A few minutes later, she returned with crêpes in hand. She took her bag back from Momo and bit into the hot pastries. Freshly made, they were delicious and the pair sat on an empty bench to eat.

~

The guide’s voice droned on as he described the history behind the name of the building. The group of people listening on was mostly made up by prospective students and their parents, many of which kept asking questions. Rolling her eyes as yet another aged woman raised her hand, Mina turned her attention to the booklet she had been given. The guide had handed these out at the beginning of the tour and inside was a comprehensive listing of the major courses that were undertaken on the campus and Mina flipped through eagerly to the business degrees. Yonsei had a formidable business school and she tapped a finger on one of the bachelor degrees, deep in thought.

‘What are you looking at?’

‘Hmm?’

Mina looked up to see Tzuyu peering over her shoulder at the booklet. “Oh nothing. I was just thinking about this course. It seems a good fit,” she said. She pointed to the one she had been considering and Tzuyu took a closer look.

‘That does look good. The major units are limited save for one arts elective but you’ll finish in another year and then you can specialise if you want to.’

Mina nodded and seemed to come to a decision. “I think I might come here,” she confessed. “It’s a bit far but it has good facilities and it’s easily accessible. Although traffic might pose a bit of a problem.” At this, Tzuyu’s eye sparkled and she grabbed Mina’s hands excitedly. “Really?” she exclaimed softly. “That’s great. I’m going to be attending Yonsei next year as well so it’s good that we can come here together.” Tilting her head in confusion, Mina stared at Tzuyu.

‘I thought you were still making up your mind as well.’

‘Well yeah, but my mum and dad really wanted me to come

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter